Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 32 Coupe needs a flathead 59AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
There are a lot of restorers here, but there are also guys who run at Bonneville, run flathead dragsters, and just run souped flatties in hot rods. We're all one big happy family!
Did you OK that statement with Lawson? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #22
caperss

Thanks for the kind words Bassman. I'm going to look closer at my 32 to see where the cross member is and if those front mounts can be used. I'm going to guess no. My 32 is a typical custom kit, very similar to the original side rails but everything in between is different, ie (drop out center cross member for ease of transmission R+R) etc. Obviously there is a front cross member but I'm not sure its in the right place to utilize those mounts. Sure would be nice if its there like the originals, I need to take a look. I have a question for the members here, How long is the block on a Ford flatty? Will the front of the Ford engine be much further forward than the SBC? I'm going to get that Ford Flathead Engine in there for sure I'm just trying to line my ducks up before I start tearing into things. All I know is that engine will look so sweet between those rails, I cant wait!
caperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #23
itslow

It sounds like you have an aftermarket chassis, in which case it will more than likely have a Model A or fabricated front cross-member and not have the pads for the original '32 front mounts.

Does your SBC utilize the side-mounts on the block or a saddle style mount that bolts to the front of the engine and sits on the frame with round biscuit type rubber mounts? If it is the former, you will need to do some cutting and welding on the frame in order to get the flathead in there. If the latter, you may have lucked out and be able to use one of the water pumps with integrated side mounts, as would have been found originally on a 59-series block.

Is your firewall the stock style, or is it flat (had the bump-outs for the toe boards removed)?

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Fred A

[QUOTE=Bassman/NZ;
Third, H & H Flatheads are one of the most respected builders anywhere, and they will build exactly what you want, and deliver it anywhere in the world.
!/QUOTE]

Bassman, Don't you have a business relationship with the Hermans? Could this be a situation where distance makes the heart grow fonder? Living as close to the H&H shop for so many years shows a greater range of opinions, not as absolute. Perhaps better said another way.

Not close to home, I like what I hear about Walt. Good Luck Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #25
caperss

Yes It is an aftermarket frame using the side mounts on the small block chevy. After researching it more I do know now what I didn't know then. I will have to cut the mounts off and weld new tabs further up front for the integral mounts that are on the front of the Flathead engine to sit on the biscuits. Its making me think twice now. The car is all finished and sweet, I don't know if I want to cut the tabs of and weld new ones and have it reshot with paint. I'll talk to a few shops, maybe its not that big of a deal. If it can be done without looking hacked and all smoothed out and repainted with too much trouble I'll go forward. For all I know it might just be a day in a good fabricators shop and when done no one would know. Other than that (and yes it has a flat firewall) I'm hoping it will be straight forward. I Have to find a good shop locally to ask, I'm new to the Gulf Coast and don't know my way around yet. I want a Flathead tho so I will probably go forward but slower than originally thought
caperss is offline   Reply With Quote