Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
tanner

Default Re: Ford F-1 brakes

V-8 Bob, sorry if I disturbed or offended you, and I didn't realize I was mocking anyone. I am all for modern, safer dual brake systems as well as seat belts, air bags and other modern safety equipment that I have on my other MODERN vehicles. My 49 F1 is as close to original as I can reasonably get it and I like it that way as do others I suspect. I enjoy driving it just like Henry Ford made it. Much more fun than driving my modern vehicles. If you and others want hybrids, have at it.

Lighten up, just an opinion!
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post

tanner, and the rest of those who don't believe in a SAFER dual brake system, strange you still think that way considering they have been around since the early '60s, and mandated since '67, because partial braking is obviously (or should be) better than none, when a line, seal or hose fails.

Probably a waste of time trying to convince you otherwise, but really disturbing when you mock those that know, or want something better/safer than an outdated single brake system.
V8 Bob.........I agree with every word you say. I should note that those who STILL dis-agree with what V8 Bob has to say above should acquaint themselves with his background.

It should also be noted that when adding a dual M/C, it should be ascertained that your installation allows enough ADDITIONAL pedal travel to allow a dual cylinder to function as designed IF one side of the system fails.

Like in the picture below, a single cylinder brake system "normally" works just great......as long as nothing goes wrong. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
skidmarks

Simple piece to make. I have done a bunch for using a F1 crossmember in model A and 32 ford frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-10 12.43.45.jpg (45.8 KB, 11 views)
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #24
scooder

Packrat,
The truck sounds cool. And as posted above, the main instal piece is a easy to make bolt in adaptor.
Ac to clear the windows inside in the rain? A normal heater with defrost pipes does that. Adding ac is quite a job, and quite intrusive not to mention cost.
V8 Bob knows his brake setups, listen to him and you should be good to go, or good to stop.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
bobH

For those that are 'believers' in the 'safety' of dual master cylinders, I'd suggest, pick a safe location, undo or otherwise disable one circuit, get up some speed, then hammer the brakes. Rumbleseat (Paul) reported on this test several moons ago, and the results were 'enlightening'. I've also tried it, and got the same results. Maybe try a search in Rumbleseats notes (billB's site, I think), and you might find words from Paul.
I'm not advocating against dual master cylinders, I'm just suggesting you might be surprised how ineffective they might be. I wouldn't bet the farm on one.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
packrat5
BANNED

Sorry to have caused such a furor over something so simple. That will be my LAST post in the Forums column
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
bobH

Opinion... Please don't take anything here so personal. No hard feelings were ever intended. I think you got some good answers... Like pick your favorite M/C (Mustang was suggested), make or get a bracket to mount it (without modifying the frame), and forge ahead. My only suggestion, pick a M/C that has a bore as close as possible to the original (which I think is likely 1"), and your brakes will feel the same as stock original, with the added benefit of 'dual'.
Again, just opinion.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
For those that are 'believers' in the 'safety' of dual master cylinders, I'd suggest, pick a safe location, undo or otherwise disable one circuit, get up some speed, then hammer the brakes. Rumbleseat (Paul) reported on this test several moons ago, and the results were 'enlightening'. I've also tried it, and got the same results. Maybe try a search in Rumbleseats notes (billB's site, I think), and you might find words from Paul.
I'm not advocating against dual master cylinders, I'm just suggesting you might be surprised how ineffective they might be. I wouldn't bet the farm on one.
This phenomenon is exactly why I suggested making sure your particular system has ENOUGH extra pedal travel available when one side of the system becomes disabled. It's no secret that these dual M/Cs are designed such that ADDITIONAL stroke (beyond "normal") is necessary for the "emergency" function to be able to work inside a dual M/C. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #29
bobH

DD... The pool scene is interesting. Some great engineering for the 'power-system'.
Any story to go with this??
Yes... Extra pedal travel. Not easy with stock Ford pedal setup. That's probably why it can be a little marginal with stock pedals. One point is, though, that there is marginally enough pedal travel (stock 34, or 46-48) to provide the benefit of dual M/C. Just a little scarey when pedal is so close to the floor.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
DD... The pool scene is interesting. Some great engineering for the 'power-system'.
Any story to go with this??
Yes... Extra pedal travel. Not easy with stock Ford pedal setup. That's probably why it can be a little marginal with stock pedals. One point is, though, that there is marginally enough pedal travel (stock 34, or 46-48) to provide the benefit of dual M/C. Just a little scarey when pedal is so close to the floor.
Hey bobH.........Ha, the pool scene....just one of those situational-awareness things I saw many moons ago that reminds me how little common sense SOME people use SOMETIMES when trying to justify good (or not-so-good) ideas.

Yes... Extra pedal travel. You are absolutely correct in that it is not easy with anything like a stock Ford pedal set-up (YOU CAN'T JUST REPLACE A SINGLE M/C WITH A DUAL M/C AND EXPECT AUTOMATIC REDUNDANCY). Most-importantly, many folks only have half of the story, and don't realize exactly how these dual M/Cs perform their "emergency" function....in that specifically, ADDITIONAL pedal travel BEYOND "normal" travel is necessary to make this ingenius, yet simple design function properly when one side of the system becomes compromised. Study the picture above CAREFULLY. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE