Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
CWilson

Default Cork vs. Neoprene gaskets

If you are not supposed to use the cork float for the gas gauge because of the enthanol, then why should you use cork gaskets and not neoprene? I ordered parts to rebuild my gas gauge and at the time I thought I had read you are supposed to use neoprene gaskets, but upon further reading it seems most are saying to use cork gaskets. Can I use the neoprene gaskets I ordered from Snyders, or is it a "no no". Thanks

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Cork vs. Neoprene gaskets

If you are using cork gaskets, make sure they are the very thin ones. Most of the overseas stuff is considerably too thick and will have your glass retainers so far out that they will catch only a thread or two. I never have used the neoprene gaskets, so I have no advice on that. You may be better off to buy a thin sheet of cork and cut your own gaskets for this application. We have a vender in All Ford, Campbell, CA which is close and they have the correct gaskets at a reasonable rate.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Use the cork gaskets, as the crap gas will mess up the neoprene gaskets. I'm also using a cork float that I installed in the 90's, and it's doing fine. Before I installed it I did spray it with another protective coating of ? Can't remember if it was clear lacquer or varnish I used, but so far so good.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
If you are not supposed to use the cork float for the gas gauge because of the enthanol, then why should you use cork gaskets and not neoprene? I ordered parts to rebuild my gas gauge and at the time I thought I had read you are supposed to use neoprene gaskets, but upon further reading it seems most are saying to use cork gaskets. Can I use the neoprene gaskets I ordered from Snyders, or is it a "no no". Thanks

Chris
We are not worried about the neoprene as long as it floats, The neoprene, is used for gaskets, will swell up and cause a leak. Been there, know first hand.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Tom Cavallaro

I replaced mine four years ago with the original cork, and in two months was no longer working again. Replaced it with the neoprene one and both times used the cork gasket, but coated the gasket with vasalene on both sides, and never had a leak and still working well.
Hope that gives you something to consider!
Tom
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
peters180a/170b

A good time one asked this question... I was going to replace the cork float/ gasket next weekend in a coupe with full use neoprene kit. So what you are saying go neoprene float and cork gaskets... with a slight vasalene coating ...cork float stopped working
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

the ethanol will attack the neoprene gauge gaskets quickly, so by using cork you will get a much longer service life from them.

the modern ethanol proof float is not neoprene but made of a phenolic type material.
i have not had one fail yet
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Tom Cavallaro

I didn't realize the float wasn't neoprean. Yes to the cork and vasalene.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

Some time ago someone here suggested maple syrup instead of the Vaseline........................but yes to the cork.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cavallaro View Post
I didn't realize the float wasn't neoprean. Yes to the cork and vasalene.
well bratton calls it neoprene, snyders does not,,, since you have to cut a groove on one side so it fits on the hanger i am not sure of the exact composition
but it does not seem like rubber...
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
If you are using cork gaskets, make sure they are the very thin ones. Most of the overseas stuff is considerably too thick and will have your glass retainers so far out that they will catch only a thread or two. I never have used the neoprene gaskets, so I have no advice on that. You may be better off to buy a thin sheet of cork and cut your own gaskets for this application. We have a vender in All Ford, Campbell, CA which is close and they have the correct gaskets at a reasonable rate.
Does anyone know if the cork gaskets from Snyders are the thin ones like daveymc29 recommends? Thanks for all the info, I'll purchase cork.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

snyders and brattons carry the same thing youll be fine
Old 01-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
larrys40

I agree with Mike V and Mitch. I replace a lot of gas gauge gaskets while doing service work and I always use the cork gaskets and neophrene float tied on with Stainelss wire to the float wire. it's on tight, doesn't come off, and the cork gaskets if installed carefully will last for many years. Don't forget to calibrate the gas gauge with a wire up to the top for full and down low to empty. Bend wire slightly if needed to adjust. You can do this through the fill hole using a coat hanger wire or something to pull up on the float while gauge is in for a check.

I just did one this last week on one. The like to use a slight bit of kroil or very light lube on the gas gauge outer nut as it helps it to go on easier and get it tight. If you can get your hands on the original 5Z gas gauge tools, especially the outer one it sure makes the job easier for removal/replacement. I didn't sell my extra set at hershey this last year ( can't believe no one bit or knew what they were) so sold them on ebay a while back.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote