Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Advice to change 6 volt to 12 volt Model A

Mike V, I went back and re read your post. Some how I miss understood what you were saying. I was WAY out of line. Sorry to you and any one that I may have offended.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Kevin in NJ, I went back and re read your post. Sorry I miss understood what you were saying. something I'm doing a lot of tonight. I was way out of line. Must have missed my medication. Again sorry.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Mike V, I went back and re read your post. Some how I miss understood what you were saying. I was WAY out of line. Sorry to you and any one that I may have offended.
OK i'm going to edit my post.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Thank you for all the advice. If nothing else you have me thinking. To be honest I do not need all the problems. I will now give it major thought before I start any conversation. Thank you all for helping a newbie !
You are indeed very kind people !
Thanks again, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #25
29RPU

OK, i'm almost AfRaId to ask, but....if one uses their model A as a work vehicle, with frequent stops, would any of you 6V people advise going to 12V? My RPU tends to turn a little slow. I'm going to run my extra ground wire to see if that helps. Worth asking. I was suggesting my buddy go to 12 because he wants to use his truck as a handyman vehicle, but after reading here, maybe he is OK with a healthy 6V system??
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #26
Geo. H

My advice: Don't do it.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29RPU View Post
OK, i'm almost AfRaId to ask, but....if one uses their model A as a work vehicle, with frequent stops, would any of you 6V people advise going to 12V? My RPU tends to turn a little slow. I'm going to run my extra ground wire to see if that helps. Worth asking. I was suggesting my buddy go to 12 because he wants to use his truck as a handyman vehicle, but after reading here, maybe he is OK with a healthy 6V system??
Don't be afraid, remember that ford used 6volts at least into the '50's and I'm sure there were work trucks used then.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Thank you for all the advice. If nothing else you have me thinking. To be honest I do not need all the problems. I will now give it major thought before I start any conversation. Thank you all for helping a newbie !
Thanks again, Wayne
We are really just trying to give people information. The decision is still up to the owner as to what he want's to do with his car. Conversation is good get as much information as you can so you can make a smart decision for you and what you want out of your car.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
Cool Hand Lurker

29RPU, it probably won't matter much where you live in California if you stay with 6V, at least for starting. If you have added accessories that need more capacity, then 12V may help because the wiring in the Model A is designed for 6V and is heavier wire so it will carry more amps. The alternator does require higher speed to get going so there are some drawbacks to the conversion but I think it is worth it.

If you were in Minnesota where the weather gets pretty cold the 6V system can crank over pretty slooooowwwww. I drove a 6V car for too many years in the cold weather to ever want to do it again. The 12V systems will crank and start! And the battery drain from starting will recover much more quickly with a 12V alternator than with a 6V generator.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
29RPU

Thanks Guys!
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I very much appreciate everyone's advice. Although a bit of a novice I do have 3 Model A's and I have now made a decison to convert one of them to 12 volt. This will in my mind allow me to drive the ol girl to the cottage ( 60 miles ) sometimes at dusk a little more safely and a little warmer in the winter ( I live in Canada ). I truly appreicate all the advice and know that every piece received was someone trying to protect my best interests !
Thanks again to all my new friends ! I truly appreciate your time and very good advice !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #32
Pa Joe

A lot of good replys with a lot of good info. I'm new to As compared to my fellow barners but not new to 12v conversions. The only thing I can ad is I use a volt meter not a amp meter. A couple of reasons. Modern cars with altinators use volt meters. You should be getting 13 to 14.5 volts to keep the battery well charged. Another reason is the after market amp meters are no where near the quality the the original amp meters were but you cant use the originals because they only go o 20 amps. If you use the accessories that you mentioned you will draw more than what the old amp meter was designed for. Just my two cents. I'm sure someone will disagree
Pa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #33
pdora

12 v conversion was essential in my case because I am preparing to install some high-power amateur radio equipment, and everything is designed for 12 v DC power.

As far as knowing what is going on in your electrical system, it is best to use both an ammeter and a volt meter.

The ammeter need not be very precise. Knowing exact current draw at any moment is not all that useful. The meter indicates the direction of current flow (plus / minus, charge / discharge) and the relative rate. Also, the 'wiggle' during starting demonstrates the integrity of the ignition primary system. Frequent observation of the ammeter reveals certain 'signatures' under various operational conditions, and deviations will be apparent. This can provide advance warning of impending problems.

The voltmeter should be very precise. Today, automotive digital volt meters can be had for around $20. I bought one designed to plug into a cigarette lighter and hard wired it after modifying the plastic case. Various voltage readings at rest, while cranking and while running can provide a wealth of information about the health of the battery and the alternator, the state of charge and the condition of lights and other loads.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #34
Lawrie

I use my A as my every day truck, it goes out every day,most more than once, it never failed to start on the 6v,
it was also nice to here it crank over slow like.
It is now 12 v,
The only reaso I changed to 12v was to get my Weaco fridge to work in it when towing our camper away on holidays,
I tried real hard to get it to work on the 6v to no avail,
I also fitted and altinator.
But I miss the 6v and know that the starter will not last as it has already exploded one of the new drives,
I fixed this by fitting the old spring drive back and a resistor in the starter feed.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #35
mrtexas

I bought a single wire 12v rebuilt alternator for less than the cost of a 6v voltage regulator. Batteries are much easier to find as well.

The only accessories I have are 3 12v LED rectangular trailer lights in the back of the RPU to let them know I'm stopping.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Thanks again, Wayne
I had to read that twice.

At first I thought it read as To be honest I do not need all the problems. I will now give it major thought before I start any conversion.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
TerryH

Apparently it is not supposed to work, but I also have a 6v alternator along with the quartz halogen bulbs, and I love the combination, and have had no alternator issues, and the lights are awesome...........they really light up the road at night.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
snowbird06

6 Volt starter ok but put in a modern Bendix drive.
snowbird06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #39
van Dyck

"With a few MODS the model A generator can be brought up to 60 amp capability."
Purdy, I'm interested in knowing what is required to bring the 'A' generator up to this capability.
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #40
pooch

I am sure I have read articles in the likes of popular mechanics, that said an A model generator could be modified to arc weld with.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote