Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
48fordconv

Default State Farm Antique Car Insurance

Has anyone bought antique car insurance from State Farm. I just got a quote $345 cheaper than what I'm paying now and same coverage.
48fordconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: State Farm Antique Car Insurance

That is amazing! Good for you. Is that with Agreed Value and limited mileage? Also, in the event of an accident, who selects the repair shop - you or State Farm? Also, what year,make and model of car would be helpful.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Dave C

I had State Farm many years ago. Switched to Hagerty. A lot cheaper, no deprecation.
Dave C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Krylon32

I had it for many years until my cars got to expensive for them. When I reached 80,000 they suggested I find another company. I never had a claim so I can't address the rumor they depreciate stated values? I now have Grundy. I should ad that the 80,000 was for 1 car and not the total of several!

Last edited by Krylon32; 02-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
48fordconv

Krylon

I have the following cars;
1926 Buick 4-door sedan $15,000.
1927 Buick Woodie wagon $40,000.
1948 Ford Conv. $70,000.
1987 Mercedes 560 SL $20,000.
Same coverage as I have with Hagerty except $100 deductible instead of no deductible on Collison. Hagerty is $1,083. and State Farm $739.18 and agent is 1/4 mile from my house in Falmouth, Me
48fordconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Henry/Kokomo

I've had State Farm for several years. Really good prices and a local agent. Can't speak to their claims handling process as I've never had one - thank goodness.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
TonyM

I have state farm for my 1937 Ford. A little cheaper and the same BS restrictions as regular antique auto insurance. It is agreed value, so I don't know where the so called depreciation comes from. I have had State Farm auto for nearly 40 years.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Heard

I think some of this depends on the agent. I've had State Farm for 40 years for my 'modern' cars. If (and that is a big IF) I can get a quote on antique stuff, then they throw all sorts of restrictions on me like 500 miles a year. What??? I only get to drive my cars 40 miles a month? You must be kidding.

I put my antique drivers under Grundy. I put my antique projects under Hagerty.

Which brings up a good point. Be sure your non-running projects are insured. I don't think a typical home owners policy will cover a project car that burns down with the workshop. At least that is what I 'think I know'.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Model A Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
I think some of this depends on the agent. I've had State Farm for 40 years for my 'modern' cars. If (and that is a big IF) I can get a quote on antique stuff, then they throw all sorts of restrictions on me like 500 miles a year. What??? I only get to drive my cars 40 miles a month? You must be kidding.

I put my antique drivers under Grundy. I put my antique projects under Hagerty.

Which brings up a good point. Be sure your non-running projects are insured. I don't think a typical home owners policy will cover a project car that burns down with the workshop. At least that is what I 'think I know'.
You are right about the project insurance,We had a small fire in an outbuilding at my place and my adjuster came to look at it.When we were talking in the garage he reminded me that that my project cars were not covered under contents.Thats through my insurance company other companies may differ
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
I don't know what the deal is, but my Allstate agent steered me to Hagerty for my truck. I don't know if he is also a Hagerty agent, or if Allstate has some piece of Hagerty or what. It's nice to have one point of contact tho.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Heard

I actually should have clarified that. I put my '36 under Grundy because they don't really have a mileage limit. When I went to insure my '35 pickup project, I found out Grundy will not insure a project. Hagerty will. That is the only reason I have two different companies.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Randy

I've used State Farm on mine and the price was better than I found elsewhere. Even had a claim once and they handled it very well and paid promptly. I fixed it myself so they paid me directly.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

I have been with state farm since I was 16 and that is a very long time. All of our cars are with them three are considered antiques and we have our 3 other vehicles with them. Never had an issue on claims and because they said I was under the grandfather rule no rate increases when the wife wiped out the front end of her HHR this winter. They will not insure my project cars though.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
flatford8

Steve, I switched to State Farm in Maine also. I had Allstate for 27 YRS. They kept going up incrementally until I decided to shop for a new price.
2004 GMC p/u
1997 Jeep GR Cher
1950 Fordor
2003 Harley
1991 Harley
My House and 2.5 car garage
2 car detached shop
$132 a month. Agreed value on the '50. Allstate was $250 a mth. just for the three vehicles.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Shadetree

I have had State Farm Insurance for over 50 years on everything. I like being able to talk to someone face to face and the personal service. Their premium is automatically deducted from my bank account

I few years ago I hit a deer not far from home on my way to work. I could still drive it but the radiator was leaking. I drove back home, jumped in my pick up and drove to work. I made ONE phone call to State Farm. A wrecker picked up my car, took it to my preferred body shop and in a few days I received a call my car was ready. No hassle, no worries. I like that...
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Krylon32

Another clarification. I still have all our late models with State Farm and have had no problems. My deal with them concerned a high end hot rod.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
felix37

I have been using State Farm since 1984, no matter where I have lived I have always had a local agent. I have an agreed value on my 37. I had a claim a few years ago and they paid with in days. I fixed the car myself, but they told me I could use whoever I felt
comfortable with.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #18
41panelmark

I have State Farm and a local agent too for the last 15 years. I have my house, drivers and classics on policies. So far the rates have been better than most. I have had good luck with repairs, tows and they use my classic appraisers. Knock on wood but so far I would not change a thing, I had some of the above mentioned companies before and had problems , not so with State Farm and yes the right agent makes a world of difference.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #19
macncheese

It's my first time to hear something about State Farm being cheap. If its something about low mileage car insurance I would suggest you to try and get a quote from different insurance companies around.
macncheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
harleynut

My suggestion would be American Collectors Insurance. They were the best rate I could find. A friend had an accident with his collector car....they took care of it fast and his insurance never went up. I've had them for years.....give them a call and get a quote 1 800 360 2277 I'm not a salesman......just a car nut like you guys
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote