Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
19Fordy

Default Re: Crestliner Wheel Help

Here's what I got when I measured my Limeworks reproduction wheel. I also got 10 1/2 in. measured across the diagonal spoke by adding 4 3/4 + 2 7/8 + 2 7/8. The folks at Limeworks made their horn ring to duplicate the OEM horn ring.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-24-2014 at 01:58 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
JT FORD

Question for l9Fordy: Will the same wheel fit 1940 and or '49-'50 ? Or does Limeworks supplies the wheel to fit which ever year Ford you have. Are the white
plastic all the through or painted? They are very nice..........JT
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Brad Boyer

I think you should always salvage and restore the original parts when possible...You will be much happier in the long run.....
Brad Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
TJ

Salvaging the old wheel is an admirable goal, but the price of an old beat up Crestliner wheel that needs tons of work is usually twice the cost of a repo. After you restore the original it is still probably going to develop new cracks. The repo wheels are made of much better material and the ones I have seen look excellent.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #25
Ball and Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
I measured my access. wheeel. The outside of the wheel measures 18", that is the same as the original wheels. The chrome round circle is 10".The diaginal measure on the chrome spokes is 10-1/2". I do not think that your is an original acces.wheel The real wheel is ivory and its all the way through. Not painted over a black casting, like the original std equipment wheel. The horn ring is mounted to the wheel with two screws that come in from the back into the center ring, it has a rubber ring under the center ring that is not sold anymore. I made one out of a hard foam weatherstrip material. Let me know if this helps you......

Jt Ford
Thank you for the measurements, my wheel is just over 11 inches where my horn goes. So that's why I have the gap I have. I AM STUMPED!!! Wheel was cast ivory before I restored it.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #26
Ball and Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Here's what I got when I measured my Limeworks reproduction wheel. I also got 10 1/2 in. measured across the diagonal spoke by adding 4 3/4 + 2 7/8 + 2 7/8. The folks at Limeworks made their horn ring to duplicate the OEM horn ring.

Thank you very much for the measurements. My horn ring jives. The spot in my wheel for the horn ring is 11 and 1/8. And that's why I have the gap I do. I don't get it!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #27
TJ

I wonder if Ford had different sources for those wheels? Ford outsourced a lot of stuff in those days, especially when it came to accessories.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
19Fordy

Brad makes a good point and TJ is correct. Buying a complete steering wheel on ebay will cost at least $700. Then it costs $1100 to have just the steering wheel recast. When you add on the cost of rechroming a horn ring (if you can find one)- that's around $200. The repo horn button is $100. So, you will spend around $2K to buy and restore a wheel. The Limeworks wheel is much cheaper and the 16 inch dia. makes it more comfortable to drive, IMO. JT: Limeworks make the wheel to fit either splined or keyed steering shafts for the 49-51 Fords and those with GM columns.. I am pretty sure it's painted . However, the quality is first class. It's well worth the $850. Be sure and ask if they also provide the horn wire kit for your application. Here's the website. http://limeworksspeedshop.myshopify....teering-wheels
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
Ball and Chain

So I should cut my losses? Or is there a ring out there somewhere?
Quote:
Brad makes a good point and TJ is correct. Buying a complete steering wheel on ebay will cost at least $700. Then it costs $1100 to have just the steering wheel recast. When you add on the cost of rechroming a horn ring (if you can find one)- that's around $200. The repo horn button is $100. So, you will spend around $2K to buy and restore a wheel. The Limeworks wheel is much cheaper and the 16 inch dia. makes it more comfortable to drive, IMO. JT: Limeworks make the wheel to fit either splined or keyed steering shafts for the 49-51 Fords and those with GM columns.. I am pretty sure it's painted . However, the quality is first class. It's well worth the $850. Be sure and ask if they also provide the horn wire kit for your application. Here's the website. http://limeworksspeedshop.myshopify....teering-wheels
Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
19Fordy

3 choices. I would go with #1.
1. Fill the gap with epoxy and then repaint your steering wheel with high quality acrylic enamel. This is the cheapest way to go and you will still have an 18 inch wheel. You already have the skill to do this perfectly.
2. Have your steering wheel recast so your horn ring fits. This is the most expensive option.
3. Buy a brand new, complete 17 in. wheel from Limeworks.
4. Call Koch's and see if they will sell you a recast wheel. I think their prices are lower than $1000. http://www.kochssteeringwheels.com/p...&idproduct=144 wheel.
5. You could sell what you have and use the $$ to buy a new 18 wheel. Going price on ebay and other sites is $2500.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #31
Ball and Chain

Quote:
3 choices. I would go with #1.
1. Fill the gap with epoxy and then repaint your steering wheel with high quality acrylic enamel. This is the cheapest way to go and you will still have an 18 inch wheel. You already have the skill to do this perfectly.
2. Have your steering wheel recast so your horn ring fits. This is the most expensive option.
3. Buy a brand new, complete 17 in. wheel from Limeworks.
4. Call Koch's and see if they will sell you a recast wheel. I think their prices are lower than $1000. http://www.kochssteeringwheels.com/p...&idproduct=144 wheel.
5. You could sell what you have and use the $$ to buy a new 18 wheel. Going price on ebay and other sites is $2500.
I finally took a long enough break where I am ready to work on this wheel again. Took some pics of the 1 spoke I fixed so far. Thought I'd update the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #32
Ball and Chain

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #33
tubman

I have heard that these are wheels from a Frazer (look at the stylized "F" on the medalliion; sure looks like the Frazer "F" to me). Maybe someone made the wheels for both manufacturers and there is a parts mixup. One thing for sure, I have NEVER seen an "F" like that anywhere on a Ford before.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
charles in east texas

You may have a 53 wheel with a 54 horn ring. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #35
Ball and Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have heard that these are wheels from a Frazer (look at the stylized "F" on the medalliion; sure looks like the Frazer "F" to me). Maybe someone made the wheels for both manufacturers and there is a parts mixup. One thing for sure, I have NEVER seen an "F" like that anywhere on a Ford before.
They only came in 1950 Ford Crestliner models

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles in east texas View Post
You may have a 53 wheel with a 54 horn ring. Charles
The 53 54 wheels aren't a perfect X, two of the spokes are straight.