Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #61
P.S.

Default Re: What is your average speed

mtnmice, Ha ha! All good points, and understood.

My wife not only rides in the Model A, she has been known to drive it also. If it had an automatic transmission, she'd probably want to make it her daily driver.

Perhaps I can be of some help to you.

I find people standing next to the car occasionally when coming out of the store, post office, etc. And usually, just going about my business with a quick "hi" is all that it takes to get going on your way.

As an engineer, I fully understand and share your "dislike of everybody" thing (present company excluded, of course). Mostly because it's mentally strenuous to have to "dumb down" everything to converse with "normal people" in public. Sometimes, just tossing out a sentence with well chosen multi-syllable words will do the trick. Other times, a salutation and brief sentence hastily spoken in a foreign language gets rid of them.

The other problem is people who assume because you are driving that car, that you are a "car guy" (which I am not) and want to talk about cars. A quick "I have milk and/or perishables in these bags, I really need to get going. Have a nice day" always does the trick.

I have never come out to the car to find someone with the hood open or a door open! That crosses the line. What would that person do if they walked out to find someone with the hood of THEIR car open? In your most firm tone of voice, bring that to their attention and tell them you are calling law enforcement.

It's sad that the outside world limits your enjoyment of your automobile. The trick is to find ways to reduce the distraction and detriment of others so that you can enjoy your car as much as possible.

Very sorry for the derailment, guys.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #62
1931 flamingo

Comfortable at 40-45, been known to do 55. I stay in rh lane on the i/state.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #63
rosenkranswa

Like many others, 40-45. I've had them up to 55 and still accellerating, but they just didn't really seem to like that.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #64
donQ

I think 40 -45 is good for a stock engine. If you have a balanced crank or OD you might run 50 -55. Even at 55 the new cars are going to be right on your tail on a busy road. Take the back roads and don't push the old girl too hard.
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #65
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by donQ View Post
Take the back roads and don't push the old girl too hard. donQ
Yeah, what he said.
I have a simple rule: if I am in a hurry, I don't drive the "A". For me, most of the enjoyment of driving is just tootling along a back road (lots of 'em around here) at only 30-35 mph. My open cab pickup is really comfortable and a pleasure to drive at that speed. It feels great to cruise along the country roads, smelling the country smells and noticing that its time old Cedric painted his house. On longer trips I cruise at 40 but don't like pushing her over 45 as I want my A to last me out.

Funny thing though - she seems to drive a bit differently each trip. Sometimes she is smooth and quiet and cruises along effortlessly, while other times the motor seems noisier and I have to set the hand-throttle a bit lower to get the same road speed. I can't decide whether it really is her having one of her "off" days, or whether it just reflects my own state of mind on any particular day. Do any of you guys notice that?

One thing I do know for sure: even a slight head-wind will knock 5 mph off my speed.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #66
SSsssteamer

We bought our 1929 Tudor from the original owners in 1968 with it having only 53,000 original miles on the speedometer. It had spent its whole life on Shaw Island so I know the mileage was correct. As purchased, the car easily ran 70 mph on the freeways for about 10 years until it finally threw a rod bearing. I had to replaced the original engine and it is now a strain to get it to run much more than 60 MPH. It will do it, but I am using most of the throttle to get past 60. For about 30 years now, I have been occasionally freeway cruising at 60 mph with no ill effects. The Tudor is all stock and now has over 100,000 miles on it. I really prefer to run the back roads at about 50 mph or less, and that is a lot more fun. Likewise....a head wind will really slow the model A down. Another experience....a heavy tail wind at 60 mph has occasionally overheated the radiator. ....Not enough of a headwind for complete cooling.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #67
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
Yeah, what he said.
I have a simple rule: if I am in a hurry, I don't drive the "A". For me, most of the enjoyment of driving is just tootling along a back road (lots of 'em around here) at only 30-35 mph. My open cab pickup is really comfortable and a pleasure to drive at that speed. It feels great to cruise along the country roads, smelling the country smells and noticing that its time old Cedric painted his house. On longer trips I cruise at 40 but don't like pushing her over 45 as I want my A to last me out.

Funny thing though - she seems to drive a bit differently each trip. Sometimes she is smooth and quiet and cruises along effortlessly, while other times the motor seems noisier and I have to set the hand-throttle a bit lower to get the same road speed. I can't decide whether it really is her having one of her "off" days, or whether it just reflects my own state of mind on any particular day. Do any of you guys notice that?

One thing I do know for sure: even a slight head-wind will knock 5 mph off my speed.
Yes, my well worn temporary engine is noisier some days than others.
It always has good power for only 50 lbs. compression though.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #68
plind

Hi,
On a normal fine day, it go between 35- 45 ..If i hit the rain, i did not go over 40.. And 55 is max. i have driven in my Tudor...

Best regards
Per In Denmark..
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #69
colin1928

Got to run at 60mph+ with overdrive or the big rig trucks will drive over me or blow me off the road trying to pass
Colin
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #70
Smitty

40-52ish, sometimes 55. High comp head, 3:54's and Mitchell OD.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #71
Jim Brierley

62-64 on the road, looks like I am a minority! I live in SoCal and need to get on the freeway in order to get anywhere. 4-port Riley on a B block, Ryan overdrive, 16" radial tires, balanced. 2100-2200 RPM feels about right.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #72
Duffy1

I have had my car up to 60 mph with a lot of pedal left .Never have had it wide open.Previous owner said it would run 65 all day long . Sweet spot for me is 55 mph although when on a club tour ,usually run 40 to 45 . 31 s/w B touring engine, over drive, 16 in wheels .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #73
Terry Longest

40-45 unless I'm racing, then 52
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Talladega Mar2013Comp.jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #74
Robert Putnam

40-45 creeping up to 50 on down hill runs.
Robert Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #75
Jazzjr

Mine purrs at 35-45 mph, when I push it towards 50, you can tell by the different sound that It is starting to work harder
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #76
Purdy Swoft

My roadster has a low milage engine with the original rotating assembly (pistons and rods). I overhauled it with new rings , stainless steel valves and gaskets because it had sit up since 1963 and one ring had stuck on the number four cylinder. It will cruise at 50 mph or more, just as smoothly as a modern car and is in no strain. We prefer this speed on the highway because we don't want to be in the way of traffic and get run over. On dirt and farm to market roads we may drive at 30 to 40 mph and enjoy the sights and smells.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #77
Bob-A

Cool Re: What is your average speed

I have been crusing 55-60 with the Borg-Warner OD and a rebuilt engine in my '29 roadster. Engine is stock save for a lightened flywheel and a Pertronix coil. Lately, however I am making an effort to slow down a little. 50-55 makes more sense safety and longevity wise.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #78
dave in australia

About 40-45. It could be a tad higher except it starts to get hot.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #79
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I have been crusing 55-60 with the Borg-Warner OD and a rebuilt engine in my '29 roadster. Engine is stock save for a lightened flywheel and a Pertronix coil. Lately, however I am making an effort to slow down a little. 50-55 makes more sense safety and longevity wise.

Bob-A
Hey Bob, sounds like that Pertronix coil is doing pretty good!! I like the one on my roadster.

Purdy (Insert smiley face)
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #80
Christoph

Never on Autobahn and never over 45mph

In common we go 40mph on backroads
(which reads very different over here )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101 kl.jpg (53.4 KB, 30 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote