Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Robert Putnam

Default Attn. Phaeton owners

I have a 29 Phaeton and when I mount the wheel on the rear spare tire carrier the tire just touches the back of the body and if left this way would undoubtedly chafe through the paint. Is this normal or should there be a larger gap between tire and body back. There is on my Town Sedan and also on a friends Tudor. On these cars I can run my fingers between the tire and body ! Do I have the wrong carrier ? Thanks folks, Robert
Robert Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Attn. Phaeton owners

I have a 29 phaeton, but currently it is taken apart as I restore it. I have never had a tire on the bracket. It is about 1/3 done. I very recently had a bad experience with a rear mounted spare bracket for my 28 special coupe with a trunk that is almost finished restoring. I never knew that there was a short bracket used in 1928 for roadsters and coupes with rumble seat only. You guessed it, I had the shorter one I had sandblasted and painted and installed on the car. To my surprised, I couldn't open the trunk! I did have a longer one (about 1 1/4" longer) that needed some work, but will work OK once I repair it. As far as the phaeton spare tire carrier, there are several versions according to the Judging Guidelines. I don't know if they are all the same length or not, but I suspect they are. If you look at page 22-13 of the Judging guidelines maybe you can determine if you have the correct bracket. I believe the tire does come close to the rear panel on all phaetons. I suppose you could shim the top part of the bracket to add more clearance for the tire.

One other item I thought of is: Is you rear panel original or a repro? If it is a repro, the curve might be more than it should be.

I found a picture of a barn find 1929 phaeton I had on my computer and I am putting it in below. I cropped a picture of the car showing the spare tire better. It appears there is about 1" clearance between the tire and the back panel.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 01-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

What's your tire size??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Robert Putnam

21 " Firestone
Robert Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
todd3131

The posted photo above is like my brothers car which I restored. Maybe the problem is the wrong tire mount
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Phil

My 28 does not touch. The spare tire carrier is specific to the Pheaton. I will get a pic and some measurements of mine if you need me too.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
mack4759

Robert,

On our 1929 Phaeton it has a 1" clearance and that is with a tire cover on it.
mack4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Putnam View Post
I have a 29 Phaeton and when I mount the wheel on the rear spare tire carrier the tire just touches the back of the body and if left this way would undoubtedly chafe through the paint. Is this normal or should there be a larger gap between tire and body back. There is on my Town Sedan and also on a friends Tudor. On these cars I can run my fingers between the tire and body ! Do I have the wrong carrier ? Thanks folks, Robert
If you have a copy of the Standards you can determine exactly what you have. All the sedan type carriers are essentially the same dimensionally except possibly the '31 s/w Fordors. It's very unlikely you have one of those. Ford kept improving/strengthening the design as they were commonly bent. It sounds like yours has been bumped as so many others have.