Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Block

Default Galaxie 3 speed

I have a 63 Galaxie fast back with 289 and 3 speed column shift. The cars is bone stock/bench seat. What would be the best floor shift for this application and would I need to get an after market mounting hump for the transmission tunnel?

Thank,
Block
Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Galaxie 3 speed

Many people consider the Hurst conversion one of the leaders in quality. If you can find one, it should contain all the instructions for installing it. I have never seen a conversion needed more than a hole in the floor.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
craig

Original 4 speed Galaxies' had a hump for the shifter. I'm thinking it would work on a 3 spd conversion too. Dearborn Classics sell a fiberglass reproduction
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
I have a 63 Galaxie fast back with 289 and 3 speed column shift. The cars is bone stock/bench seat. What would be the best floor shift for this application and would I need to get an after market mounting hump for the transmission tunnel?

Thank,
Block
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produc...yr=&md=&sm=&e= I remember selling these in the 70's for $49.95 There is another universal shifter that some of the guys in my Ford Group used it is a Spectre 6413 Pep Boys,Autozone and J.C. Whitney sold them for $34.99 they have been discontinued due to lack of demand Pep Boys was closing them out for $25 you might try your local store and see if any are still out there.

Last edited by JeffB2; 07-18-2017 at 03:36 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #5
JeffB2

This was actually better than the "mystery shifter" back in the day. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-Dual-P...3D391815163759
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

I remember the Mystery shifter, had one in my '53. worked good for me, never had a problem with it. Of course that was 47 years ago, details are a bit fuzzy.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
deucemac

The best Hurst shifter for your application is currently know as the Master Shifter. It was originally known as the Syncro-Lock. It is an excellent shifter. Next up in quality would be the Mystery Shifter. It was an economy shifter of higher quality than competitive brands. Avoid the Indy shifter at all costs , it is cheap junk and Hurst should be ashamed to attach their name to it. Indy shifters are one shifter fits everything but not well. Syncro-Lock/Master shifters are not easy to find any more but absolutely worth the effort. Install and adjust and forget, just enjoy.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
deucemac

The best shifter made by Hurst is known as the Master Shifter and originally sold as the Syncro-Lock. Next in quality is the discontinued Mystery Shifter that was sold as an economy model but still better that the competition offered. Last it the currently available Indy Shifter which is junk. Hurst should be ashamed to put their name on it. It is a sloppy shifter designed to not quite fit any car properly. The Syncro-Lock/Master Shifters may be hard to find any more but are worth the effort. It is install, adjust, and enjoy. Good luck.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
Mike J. CT

The Mastershift kit for 63-69 Galaxie, Fairlane, Torino is # 367-7639. There is one listed on Ebay right now. The shifter is 366-6901 and there should be several listed.
Mike.
Mike J. CT is offline   Reply With Quote