Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default Conversation with Skip Haney

In light of some representations made recently about Skip Haney's pumps and thermostat use I thought I might get it straight from the horse's mouth so just called and talked to him and asked him a few questions. The answers were enlightening enough that I thought others might be interested. Doesn't matter to me one way or another as I am very happy with my water pumps and thermostats. I just think that representations made on this forum ought to be truthful. That's all.

He told me that his pumps were developed about 10 years ago and that every one is tested on a box filled with water to which the pump is bolted and run for 5 minutes and tested for leaks. He has never flow tested his pumps pumping through any thermostats but believes that thermostats affect the flow of his pumps enough that he doesn't recommend using any thermostats except Shewman's which he believes open all the way up when they're open and don't restrict the flow but has not tested them to know that. Likewise, he has not tested their flow when closed but believes there would still be flow because of the holes drilled in them. I asked him if he'd like me to send him my data of the tests that I have done on various thermostats and he said it wouldn't do any good because any email sent to him goes directly to George (GM). He's worked for George for 25 years and George gets all of his email. Skip doesn't do anything with computers.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-25-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Conversation with Skip Haney

How 'bout that Texan/Bronco game? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
mfagan

I think that information would be useful and interesting!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Old Henry

It's here:

Re Shewman's:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143576 and

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889

Re Stants:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113366

Re No Stats:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113979

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Mart

Is this post supposed to be helpful or in some way provocative?

Mart.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
mfagan

Great research !! Thank you.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Is this post supposed to be helpful or in some way provocative?

Mart.
It is to correct a misrepresentation about Skip having tested several thermostats, including Shewman's thermostats, made in this thread https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147699 when, in fact, he has not.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Bruce/CT

Old Henry,
Did Skip know that you planned on publishing his remarks? Was he led to believe it was a private conversation?
If not, although probably not illegal, I think that you were rather unfair to him. If you recorded him, I believe legally you must tell him up front.
Bruce/CT
Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Kahuna

This thread should die
Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/CT View Post
Old Henry,
Did Skip know that you planned on publishing his remarks? Was he led to believe it was a private conversation?
If not, although probably not illegal, I think that you were rather unfair to him. If you recorded him, I believe legally you must tell him up front.
Bruce/CT
You could be right about that. I didn't record him I just gave our conversation verbatim from memory. I didn't say anything about publishing or private, I just asked him the questions. Still, in case that verbatim version is offensive I've reworded it as more of a summary of the conversation.

Thanks for the comment.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
This thread should die
I agree. Nothing new and informative presented here. This post just goes back to the originators previous threads that attempted to discredit Skip Haney, Bob Shewman and George Mitchell.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Hoop

" ... any email sent to him goes directly to George (GM). He's worked for George for 25 years and George gets all of his email."

G.M. owns Skip Haney's business?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Old Henry

I've done business with Skip and have had several conversations with him. He is a nice guy and has always answered my questions straight forward and does good work and works hard at his business to please his customers. I have no complaints whatsoever about him. He has never misrepresented his products nor anything about them as far as I know but has always been straight forward about their strengths and weaknesses even though others have not.

Likewise, I have had conversations with Bob Shewman who is also a nice guy and believes he has made and is selling a useful product even though I may disagree. As far as I can tell he is not trying to "pull anything over" on anyone. I just think that he has not actually done any scientifically controlled empirical testing of his 59A thermostat to know its limitations.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
" ... any email sent to him goes directly to George (GM). He's worked for George for 25 years and George gets all of his email."

G.M. owns Skip Haney's business?
If e-mails are supossedly going to straight to George, then this must be something new. Skip and I were discussing (via e-mail) water pumps and coils about a year ago. I agree with others, this thread should be removed.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I agree. Nothing new and informative presented here. This post just goes back to the originators previous threads that attempted to discredit Skip Haney, Bob Shewman and George Mitchell.
I'd rather go out and work on my flathead vehicle then antagonize a pissing match...
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
Old Henry

I've brought this to Ryan's attention to delete if he feels such is appropriate.
I didn't really expect any replies. It was just information that needed no response.
Nonetheless, it has had 2 favorable responses compared to 6 unfavorable.
I thought it would be helpful information but maybe not.
Closed Thread