Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Road Test of Stant vs. Shewman Thermostats

Most have a hole in them but if non then a purge hole is needed ,I drilled 3 1/8 " holes in one and it wouldn't get up to Temperature, The idea is to have a Radiator larger or more efficient than what's needed then the thermostats keeps it up to the ideal temperature . Hats of to Shoeman for trying to solve a over heating problem by increasing flow ,A more efficient Radiator would be one answer .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Old Henry

To illustrate how critical it is that the thermostats shut the water flow completely off to maintain the water temperature, the stock thermostats actually have a check valve in the burp hole that opens to let air through.

But closes when water tries to come through.

That's the one weakness of the Stant stats - no burp hole. I drilled a 1/6" hole for such which may account for the minimum temperature being 10° below the stat's rating of 170° on the graph. But, the Shewman stats allowed 40° below their rating of 180° in this test but 60° below later in the day on a longer drive.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #23
Cecil/WV

So tell me, what's the big deal about having a bleed hole? For the last 60 yrs. I have just filled my radiator and let the engine warm up and then top off the water and it is good to go, never a problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #24
Mart

Many stats have a small indentation in the seat that the inner part seals against. This allows air to vent out and limits water leakage to an acceptable minimum.

Others have a small hole, others have a jiggle pin like pictured. Some have nothing.

Mart.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #25
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Many stats have a small indentation in the seat that the inner part seals against. This allows air to vent out and limits water leakage to an acceptable minimum.

Mart.
The Stants have a wavy edge in (I recall) 3 places to allow air to escape. If you hold them up to the light it's easy to see.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
So tell me, what's the big deal about having a bleed hole? For the last 60 yrs. I have just filled my radiator and let the engine warm up and then top off the water and it is good to go, never a problem.
So, it's NO big deal if you never have a problem. I was probably close to the same 60 years into my own engine 'career', when I encountered MY first problem. I had a fresh build, with an air pocket that didn't allow the t-stat to open soon enough (on first start-up), and I got that fresh engine hot enough to burn the new paint. So, starting then, I put in a 1/16 hole like Henry shows, if the stat does not already have a built-in bleed. JMO
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Others have a small hole, others have a jiggle pin like pictured. Some have nothing.

Mart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The Stants have a wavy edge in (I recall) 3 places to allow air to escape. If you hold them up to the light it's easy to see.
I think I see one of those little "notches" you're talking about on the Stant on the right (the left one is a stock one with the jiggle pin). Wonder if they work? Might have skipped drilling the hole in mine. Good to know if I ever have to replace them.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
Mart

Yeah, prof there looks like a small divot out of the od of the inner part, just to the left of the end of the spring. The ones I have seen have been on the outer part, but they achieve the same.

I imagine it is a latter day cost saving. A little notch is probably cheaper than making and assembling a jiggle pin.

Mart.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
HCO41

First, I want to thank Old Henry for taking the time to do this test and put the data together. I learned a lot about thermostat function from most of the posters.
Seems that JM35Sedan and V8COOPMAN would rather criticize the condition of the test vehicle and repair methods used on same than accept the efforts in putting the data together.
I look at it this way. The tests were done on successive days with the engine in the same condition for each test. If the tests were done on a "perfect" engine in a "perfect" car I can only assume that if the data were even slightly different, the results would be relative. Where the numbers on the graph may be confusing, the impact of a graph is visual and data can be generalized by paying attention to the x and y axises. My first take on the graph was that the yellow line (Shewman's) was taking some radical dips when the function of a thermostat is to keep the engine temperature as constant as possible.
Old Henry is another asset to this forum. If we didn't have those who did this kind of testing and shared their knowledge with us through this forum and their writings a lot of us would be lost. So, thanks to: JWL, Pete, Gofast, 'Ol Ron, Walt, Charlie NY, V8Bob and all the others who take the time to gain knowledge of our interests and share it.
Howard
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #30
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
First, I want to thank Old Henry for taking the time to do this test and put the data together. I learned a lot about thermostat function from most of the posters.
Howard
Yes! Thanks,Old Henry.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #31
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

GM promotes this product ,no disrespect meant but I think ,they need rethinking

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #32
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
GM promotes this product ,no disrespect meant but I think ,they need rethinking
How do you know if you never used them??? The test information provided is from an unreliable source who bad mouthed Shewmans stats before he ever saw one. I doubt if he tried them he followed instructions on how to install them. The chart looks phony to me. I KNOW the Stant stats he promotes cause the engine to run at elevated temperatures in 90 degree outside temperatures. I have probably the coolest running stock radiator flathead that exists. A 39 P/U stock radiator, Skips hi flow pumps, 6 blade industrial fan, 4 lb pressure cap and a shroud. This truck was run in the flea market at a EFV8 meet on a day over 100 degrees at a fast idle for over 2 hours and never got over 180 degrees with no stats. When raced a little the temperature came down. I went to lunch and left Ken ct watch it for me. This was run with no stats. Later that summer driving the truck it was running at 165 so I tried the same Stant stat with and without holes in the flange to help increase the flow caused by the small flow opening. The 6 or 8 3/16" holes in the flange helped cool a little better but caused the truck to run above 190+ on the road at driving speeds and hotter in traffic.
The truck now has Shewmans 180 stats in it and runs at 178 to 182 at all times. I have his stats in several other 30's Fords and they all run very close to 180 in hot summer. I only tested them in temperature above 45 or 50 degrees and they ran in the 170 range. My testing is uniform under the same conditions most of the time. The best most accurate testing is done with the car in a stationary position with a large house type fan against the grill at an engine speed in the 25 MPH range. I find that the temperatures I get in this type of test are exactly what I get on the open road. Idle and traffic temperatures on stock radiators varies greatly because of the poor fans on most of these cars. I use and promote Shewman's stats because they are the only ones I know of that don't restrict the flow of coolant. G.M.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #33
HCO41

GM, while I and others appreciate your experience, there's no reason to criticize Old Henry's ability to install his thermostats properly unless, of course, you were there to see the process. Same goes for the graph!
I suggest that you and Old Henry get together and perform the same tests and share your data with us.
Seems to me that would be more productive than knocking his efforts!
Howard
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #34
Old Henry

Shewman's stats were installed per his instructions. One can't really screw up the installation unless one puts them in backwards which is unlikely since Bob marks on them which end goes toward the radiator.

Every piece of data on my data chart was photographed, i.e. I watched the odometer and at every mile took a quick digital picture of my watch for time, the ambient temperature thermometer, the odometer, the water temperature gauge, and the GPS giving the altitude. Each picture has it's built in date and time stamp verifying all data both digitally and photographically. That data is on the table in PDF format attached to my first post (and this one) for all to see and analyze and is what VeryTangled used for his graph.

Although any old thermostat will probably work fine just driving level roads in hot temperatures near sea level, I needed one that would be best for extreme driving which I do - from 10° F in the winter to 100°+ in the summer and at altitudes from below sea level to over 14,000 feet and inclines up to 10%. That's part of why I did the testing and have reached the conclusion that I have reported.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostat Testing done July 3rd & 4th.pdf (29.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #35
Old Henry

In response to G.M.'s emotional irrational tirade, I say again what I said before: "If you can't refute the message, all you can do is kill the messenger."
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #36
Mart

It's a thermostat guys, no need to get mega emotional about it and start bringing peoples efforts into question.

Just use whatever works for you and what you are happy with.

My 75 degree C Mini stats work just dandy, thanks.

Mart.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #37
Old Henry

Here is one set of data photographs mentioned in case anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00390.jpg (43.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00391-R.jpg (94.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00392-R.jpg (417.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00393-R.jpg (426.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00394-R.jpg (313.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #38
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Here is one set of data photographs mentioned in case anyone is interested.
Ya! I sort 'a like the GPS.
Some times I deliberately make wrong turns just so I can hear the GPS lady say "recalculating"
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #39
flatjack9

Old Henry does real world testing. Gm's test are done in a static, controlled environment.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #40
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Old Henry does real world testing. Gm's test are done in a static, controlled environment.
Initial tests are done static which provide consistent results. Then the driving tests which were also done with the same distance traveled over the same route dozens of times. Also Shewman's stats were in during the entire vapor lock testing and stayed at 180 + or- 2 degrees on all of those tests. Henry showed pictures of his Stat installation and the condition of the insides of his heads which wasn't very impressive. Based on his prior trouble shooting and blotched repairs I don't have much faith in what he does. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 07-07-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Closed Thread