Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
kendall

Default R.I.P manual trans

check this out, http://www.ford-trucks.com/wp-conten...Shift-Home.jpg

too bad the younger gen. wont know how fun it was to drive with three pedals in a new ford
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
kendall

Default Re: R.I.P manual trans

For new cars and trucks purchased over the past 10 years, the manual transmission take rate has hovered around five percent. That take rate is only headed downward.
But then I discovered that as much as half the U.S. population cannot swim … at that point I pretty much gave up on humanity.
Imagine being a manual transmission in this day and age. Imagine how awful it would feel if only five percent of the new-vehicle-buying public wanted you. Who wants to be that unpopular? It’s a good thing manual transmissions don’t have feelings because if they did, they would cry “nobody loves me!”, and then crawl into a dark corner and die. Actually, I’m inclined to believe they do have feelings because, boy oh boy, are the manuals dying.
It’s been about four years since an F-250 or F-350 has rolled off the assembly line with a manual. For half-ton trucks it’s been a bit longer. Even though you were able to get a five-speed manual transmission in an F-150 up until 2008, you were forced to pair it with the depressing 202-hp 4.2L V6, so for all intents and purposes, rowing your own has been dead in the F-150 since 2003; the last year you could get a V8 with a stick.
Mvs4th” on the forum asked if there are plans to ever bring back manuals in the upcoming redesigned F-Series trucks. The answer is no … like “no means no” no. If you want to know why, forum member Frdtrkrul is the answer:
My issues [with manual transmissions] are that different clutches engage at different points, or various manufacturers make you do something really dumb to get into reverse. VW makes you push the shift lever down to get the transmission into reverse. In order to get the key out of a Saab’s ignition, the transmission has to be in reverse. Manuals are not very user friendly for new people to drive them. I love manuals to death, but my good Lord, they are a pain in the ass to learn. There are too many variances in where the clutch grabs, or different shift patterns to learn.
Even people who say they love manuals still have several bones to pick with rowing one’s own. Frdtrkrul‘s comment pretty much sums up how the public and the forum regard stick-shifts, which further explains why there has been such a low stick-shift take rate in the past 10 years. At first, I was appalled that folks would pick the most surmountable of obstacles to deride the manual transmission, especially when they complained about how “difficult” it is to learn to drive stick, but then I discovered that as much as half the U.S. population cannot swim … at that point I pretty much gave up on humanity.
Above and beyond your typical automotive enthusiast, I have a little more sympathy for the dying manuals. My official motto is “Manuel only drives a manual,” and some of my friends have nicknamed me “Manual Transmission”; therefore, seeing the manual transmission die is like seeing a part of me die. I take it personally.
These are sad times for lovers of the coveted third pedal. We’re living in an era when people will throw their hands in the air and give up when faced with pushing the shift lever down to engage reverse. I wish more people like forum member MBDiagMan existed.
I am a diehard stick-shift driver. Bumper-to-bumper traffic, one car-length forward, and stopped in a traffic jam — no sweat. One of the Mercedes sticks I’ve had: beautiful. My V8 Mustang five-speed: no problem. My ’64 Galaxie “three on the tree”: heaven. My five-speed V8 4×4: bring it on. Any traffic situation, any terrain — give me three pedals, and I’m as pleased as a kid in a candy store.

When the manual transmission eventually goes the way of the hand-crank starter and the carburetor, I will remember the words of MBDiagMan, and fondly look upon the times when there were men and women who roamed the Earth who could rock a third pedal like a Gibson Les Paul.
Head to the Forum to Mourn (or Celebrate) the Death of the Manual >>

images [Atwater Ford Inc.]
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

Remember, From at least 1909 to 1927 Ford did not offer a true manual transmission.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
NealinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Remember, From at least 1909 to 1927 Ford did not offer a true manual transmission.
But they had 3 pedals...
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Since 1950, every new or used vehicle that I have owned has had a manual transmission, that is until 23 years ago when I purchased my first and only one with an automatic. ( A 1951 Mercury )
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
Brian

Yeah, and it's worse than that; about a year ago, a group of vintage tractor enthusiasts that I'm a member of, had the opportunity to tour through our local Ford dealership. Our host was so proud of the fact that you can drive the latest Ford directly at a wall and it will 'sense' the obstacle and stop before hitting said wall, that in stop start traffic, not only will it stop before hitting the stationary car in front, the engine will stop, thus saving unneccessary fuel running costs and emissions, and upon the car[s] in front proceeding, why, that engine will automatically start up all by itself again! How Wonderful!!!
I must have been the only individual in that group that wasn't impressed. In my opinion, this whole concept is utter shit!! People are not going to be able to drive a car, becoming totally reliant on the computer to do everything for them. We all know electronics go forever eh? My wife can't even drive a stick shift, let alone double declutching! Heaven forbid. And the majority not only allow this crap to be foisted onto them, they actually embrace it!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Snouts out

Keep your g..damn foot off the clutch ..! Sage advice ..!
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
NYfatboy

Me,I can't wait until someone invents a star-trek like transporter so the roads can be free to we who love to drive!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
Ross F-1

Not only are automatics pervasive, they are now 7, 8, or 9 speed automatics. Want to guess what a rebuild costs on one of those?!?! And you KNOW they will wear out from constant shifting. Bend over...
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
bart78

I was looking at anew f-250 for my work truck. And wanted a manual trans. It was three thousand more for it. Than the same thing with a automatic. The salesman told me that they are more now. Because they make less of them.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Mike51Merc

Even the Europeans, who have been die-hard three peddlers for a lot longer than Americans, are caving in.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
tiger.1000

Mike 51....not quite the case. Here in the UK automatics are the exception to the rule and considerably more expensive than those with manual transmission and to quote Bart 78 it's because there's less of them.

In central Europe automatic transmissions are virtually unheard of and virtually everything 2.0 litre plus is diesel.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Mike 51....not quite the case. Here in the UK automatics are the exception to the rule and considerably more expensive than those with manual transmission and to quote Bart 78 it's because there's less of them.

In central Europe automatic transmissions are virtually unheard of and virtually everything 2.0 litre plus is diesel.
Yes, but your protective shell is cracking.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
itsa52

All of my off spring will know how.. Don't have to if they don't want to, but they will get the instructions for sure.

Kind of like archery (my other favorite activity), They can shoot wheels if they want, but they will know how to shoot a stick bow. Then the choice is theirs.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Shadetree

I have owned cars since I was 15 years old in 1952. It was in the 70's before I bought a car with an automatic transmission. A used `69 Ford LTD. I just felt they were too troublesome and expensive to repair. When I went to work for the telephone company in 1962, every vehicle had a standard transmission, even the second level supervisor's cars.

Today I own a 1999 Honda van with 291,000 miles on it. I bought it new. The engine and automatic transmission have never been apart. It still has the original exhaust system. They just dont make `em like they used to...
Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
ford3

I don't care if I ever drive a stick shift, I drove a heavy duty 13 speed truck for 35 years , so automatics are the way to go for me
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Light duty trucks have not had manual transmissions for a few years now. It mystifies me. I had to search for a six and a stick in a used F150. Mine is a 2006. My 2013 Focus has a 5 speed. That said, backing my friends loaded E-150 van up my very narrow driveway was much easier with his automatic. I taught both of my kids to drive a stick and both still do.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
Mike51Merc

I have two friends that are pretty poor drivers--- you know the kind that you hate to get a ride with. I've noticed that their driving is much better when they drive manual transmissions.

My theory is that the more physically involved the driver is, the more mentally involved they are as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It's funny, all of the kids I know drive stick shifts. I'm the automatic lover! I have loved automatics from my drag racing days in the mid 60s. I build and set up my own. Just can't beat a good shifting automatic in my book! Now, my 33 coupe has a flathead in it and it is stick. But any thing for the 60s on would have an automatic in it if it were mine.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
I have two friends that are pretty poor drivers--- you know the kind that you hate to get a ride with. I've noticed that their driving is much better when they drive manual transmissions.

My theory is that the more physically involved the driver is, the more mentally involved they are as well.
Agreed^^
Both of my daughters first cars were 2 seaters with sticks. Our logic was that with a 2 seater they wouldn't be hauling around a bunch of their friends and with a stick they would have to concentrate more on driving and less on everything else. They both became very proficiant at using the 3rd pedal. It's also something that they will always be able to do now.
Torchie.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote