Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
The Zoomer

Default 1934 Ford Frame VIN locations

Guys have had a few early fords in my time and I know the early Ford Frames have the VIN on driver side rail by the (lets call it engine mount, steering box area), I have a 34 Original ford frame, that i can not find the VIN on it, now it could easily have been grinded off, but where I found the frame over at early ford store in San Dimas Ca, and story behind it, this guy who gave it up was in the works to build a nice rod, and do not believe the VIN # just went away... I have heard guys note that some had them by the driver side rail under the door area, but nothing there as well. That being said, back in 34 was there any other area Henry was stamping frames? Any info would help thanks
The Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
bobH

Default Re: 1934 Ford Frame VIN locations

How about asking Bill (or Mike) McGrath ? Lots of possibilities, and at the risk of a bunch of speculating... How about an original RHD car? Have you looked in the corresponding location on the RIGHT rail? Have you looked at the other two locations on the LEFT rail? Beyond that, I can think of at least one other possibility, that I know a couple of chassis builders are doing. And, these are guys in 'our area'. Can't post this here, but you could ask me, off-line.
And, of course there is the 'always-possible' situation that it never got stamped, filed under the category of Henry's oddities. And, there is the possibility that it is a factory replacement frame, bought over the parts counter as a collision part, and was never stamped.
I'm sure the guys here will think of other possibilities...
I've seen some really strange frame numbers. One that stands out in my mind, is a (really nice) 32 - 3W street rod that I saw at a local car show. The engine was 'open' (all chrome), and the left frame rail plainly visible. I looked at the VIN and knew right away that it was NOT 1932. So, I made a mental note of it, and later looked up the number in reference material, and found the number listed as a 1941 Ford. Some guys will do anything. Case in point... recall the problem Boyd Coddington got into.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Ed Solari

I have an untouched frame I am restoring (51K 1934). When I removed the body it was clear it was first time. The numbers were stamped on the driver outise framerail (LH) in 3 places (besides the transmission bell housing). On the engine compartment, between ther front and rear (fordor) doors and just front of the intersection point of the rear spring cross member. ALL NUMBERS matched
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Gastrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
How about an original RHD car? Have you looked in the corresponding location on the RIGHT rail?
I have an original right hand drive 1934 Tudor and the VIN is still stamped on the left frame rail. I'm not saying that's typical, I'm just saying that's the way mine is.
Gastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
BOSSY

Search for VANPELT PARTS & SERVICE then look in serial numbers and scroll down and their is a photo where to find them on a frame.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
34coupe

Left frame rail ahead of the firewall, Dave
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
The Zoomer

Hey 34 Coupe, that's a way cool coupe you go there. Thanks
The Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote