Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
ole_Bill

Default Clock no work

The clock in my '46 Super Deluxe has not run since I bought the car and now seems to be a good time to tackle the problem. The fuse is good, but the reset button on the bottom of the face does not do anything when rotated. I assume this button is used to set the clock. If so, do I pull it out (or push it in) to make the hands move? What can I check to troubleshoot a problem of an inoperative clock?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
V12Bill

Default Re: Clock no work

I think that you pull the reset out and turn it to set the clock. Your problem is probably the points that rewind the clock are dirty or pitted. Remove the clock from the car and open up the back and you will see the contact points. Open the points and this rewinds the clock. The clock should run for about 5 or 8 minutes. If the clock runs, clean the points with fine grit sandpaper (about 220) and draw the sandpaper between the closed points to clean them and remove any burrs. Apply electric to the points and see if they open properly and rewind the clock. If every thing works at this point you are done. If the clock does not run or if the points are burned, you will need a professional
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Old Henry

Here's a thread with more info: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70356
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
flatford8

Classic Auto Electric in KS. just worked on mine for a 50 Fordor. I sent him two incase he needed parts. He just cleaned it ultrasonically and lubed with swiss clock oil. Replaced the point and is installing an arc suppressor to save the point from arcing. Said it runs like watch?!!?!?.....$150......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote