Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
ole_Bill

Default Lowering '46 Tudor Sedan

I have a '46 Super Deluxe with all original running gear ('cept some minor mods under the hood) and I'm trying to decide if the car wouldn't look a little more hot-roddy if it were lowered an inch (or two). Anyone tried this? How is it done? Does a minor lowering mess up the steering and/or suspension?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Lowering '46 Tudor Sedan

Bill, this is not really the "Hot Roddy" Forum, but from what i've heard, the best way to lower your car is to reverse the spring eyes. Reverse eye is the right method to avoid suspension and steering issues.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
ole_Bill

Thanks for the answer Ford. I was on HAMB for awhile but got tired of being flamed for asking stupid questions. Some real jerks over there. At least you were polite about it. Where is the forum I'm looking for?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
TJ

Bill, you can lower the car in several ways. You can reverse the spring eyes, front and back which will drop you about an inch all the way around. You can also de-arch the front and back springs and the spring shop can drop them whatever distance that you want. If you don't lower it too much it will not affect the steering or suspension. Most spring shops do big truck springs , but they can do car springs also. Most old fords sit a little too high in my opinion, so lowering them does make them look good.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
46fatford

To lower your sedan you could reverse the eyes on the main spring plate, de arch the main plate, remove some of the smaller leaves or make longer spring shackles. This how it was done back when. In the front you could get a drop axle, but with as little as you want to lower yours it would be a waste.
Matt
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Tim Armstrong

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a aftermarket crossmember in the front, lowers the car about 3 inches.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole_Bill View Post
Thanks for the answer Ford. I was on HAMB for awhile but got tired of being flamed for asking stupid questions. Some real jerks over there. At least you were polite about it. Where is the forum I'm looking for?
The Hamb is still a great source of info, you just need to develop a thick skin. With over 200K members (98% of whom never or seldom post) there's always gonna be idjits. Dont give up on it man!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
chuck stevens

Bill,
Don't be affended we are all hot rodders at heart. I lowered, (don't tell anyone),my 47 by making longer spring shackles it's the easiest way, and if you don't like it you can put the originals back in. Make then 1 1/2 longer with 2 or 3 holes so you can fine tune the height. Oh by the way, I don't think to many Fords came with dual exhast like most of the restored cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln hiway tour 001.jpg (48.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln hiway tour 036.jpg (107.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln hiway tour 007.jpg (80.6 KB, 54 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
dwick01

Chuck, could you give step by step instructions on how to remove the stock shackles? I also have a '47 that I am thinking about lowering this way. It sits too high, and I would love for it be about the same as yours.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
Chuck, could you give step by step instructions on how to remove the stock shackles? I also have a '47 that I am thinking about lowering this way. It sits too high, and I would love for it be about the same as yours.
Use the search tool to find some posts about removing shackles.
More than one way to do it. I have removed them with the axle still under the car using jack stands to hold up the car and a bottle jack to take the load off the springs so you can remove the shackles.
Have also done it with the front axle off the car and used big C clamps and allthread to dissasemble the spring pack and then deal with just the main leaf spring and the shackles.
However you do it just be careful.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 06-24-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
blucar

I think that overall the Ford Barn is just about as good as it gets, regarding questions about reasonable modifications to the Early V8 Ford vehicles.. From time to time you might encounter a little resentment about your question (s) however, overall you'll get some good info... Now onto the question at hand;
The big question you should ask your self is... Do you want to just lower the car for looks, like we all did when we were kids in the '40-50's? Or, do you want a safe car that handles well, yet does not look like a off road vehicle going down the road?
Longer shackles will lower the car, that is the cheap way, however, stability and handling will be effected.
Reversing the spring eyes will lower the car close to two inches, with very little adverse effect on the cars handling.. Rather than go to a local blacksmith and/or spring shop I would suggest that you contact POSIE... They make great springs that have reversed eyes, while at the same time have other great features.. Talk to Posie's they'll steer you in the right direction to accomplish your goal..This would be the most cost effective method of lowering your car.
If you want to really lower the car, put a dropped axle under the front end, 2" is good for a every day driver type of car. Add a modified rear spring and you are good to go.
I have to admit that I am a member of the "Old School".. This terminology has become very misunderstood in recent years... In the '40's-50's if we wanted to lower a car, we heated the springs, "Torched", and/or added long shackles, if the car was a Ford, and never gave a thought as to how badly the car handled... We were cool...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
woodiewagon46

Bill, I would purchase a set of springs from Posies or any other hot rod shop. Save your stock springs and get super sliders for a softer ride.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Ken Crans

Put Posies reversed eyed springs on my F1 to drop nearly 3 inches. I seen some dearched springs on some Fords at the show over the weekend, They look dangerous as the point of snapping the main leaf. I can't believe that was how it was done back in the day!!
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Talkwrench

When I got my pickup the front had the secondary spring removed leaving a good 5" of just the main eye spring to hold all the weight, of course it sagged and bent the other way lowering it ..there was also a broken spring in there.... The rear had the spring pack re-arranged so it too sagged therefore lowering it
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
42guy

I had new main leafs made with reverse eyes. It gives my coupe a nice stance. I saved the original main leafs so it go back if someone other than me wanted to.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
oldskool

put a posies reverse eye spring in the rear of my 41 didn't lower it a 1/4 inch called posies and they said drive it 200 miles that was 2 years ago and 2,000 miles ago still the same although it rides smoother
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
chuck stevens

Bill,
It's not that hard, jack up the spring with a bottle jack near the shackle. Watch as you lift it, you'll see the weight come off the shackle. Of coarse the jack and the car must be on good level solid ground. Do one side at a time.
As far as handling I have driven this 'ol 47, 20 thousand + miles with no ill effects, If you get the sackles too long- 2 or 3" over stock you may have some handling issuses. You will reach the right height at 1 or 1 1/2", go more than that an you'll be on the snubbers. Fell free to PM me, have fun, Chuck S.

PS. Before and after in one week-end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln hiway tour 020.jpg (78.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln hiway tour 021.jpg (79.4 KB, 10 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Ol' Ron

Not a HOT ROD forum, I'bet a nickel there are more non stock cars on this forum than stock. This along with better brakes, carburetors and ignition systems. I for one bust my but to help people her get better mileage. If this waz a pure stock forum, nobody would be here. Don't forget the OD's, like the T-5's and Mitchels.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Deuce Man

Ol' Ron, about half way through reading this thread I was going to say basically the same thing! Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote