Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Logan

Default We lost a great one: Ron Davis

Last Saturday we lost one of the greatest model a men of all time, Ron Davis. He was THE local model a guru here in the DFW. I know, for me, model a'ing will never be the same with him gone. I spent countless days at his house while i grew up just listening to him. It didnt matter what question you asked, he had an answer for it. Whether it was a fine point judging question, or asking a question about how to instal a pinto motor in a model a, He knew anything and everything and never had to "look up" an answer. It was all just knowledge that he had memorized.

Throughout the years Ron restored many many model a's. Often for touring, but did restore a '29 phaeton for fine point judging, where he won an award of excellence in both Mafca and Marc judging. But the rest of the cars he built to drive, and that is what he did. He was mainly active in mafca, and would attend just about every Mafca event that he could up through the 90's. One trip he and his wife (Pat) took was 4000 miles in their 1929 roadster in one single trip. I wouldnt hesitate to estimate they traveled atleast 200-250,000 miles in a model a over the years. He didnt believe in trailering, as that defeated the purpose of building the car.

Ron was always the first person to offer help, even before he was asked. While others have charged other club members to work on their car, Ron would not charge when people needed his assistance. Even if he did all the work. He said he charged to work on someones car one time, and he just didnt feel right about it. He was the smiling face of the club, and always greeted everyone with a hand shake and smile whether he knew you or not. If you didnt know him before you came to a club event, you knew him after the event, and you knew you always had someone to count on. He would ask to see your car, and even if it was the most ragged out beat up peice of junk, he'd always point out the positive things about the car. He didnt like pointing out anything that was "wrong" with the car because he didnt like it when others went around nit-picking everyone else's cars. He was someone you knew no matter what, would always tell the truth. He wouldnt even lie to his worst enemy, which isnt a good analogy because there wasnt anyone that didnt like him.

To Ron, the model a hobby wasnt just a hobby. It was a way of life. He lived to get in his cars and enjoy them. And when they broke, he fixed them. Whether it was mechanics, sheet metal, or paint he did it himself for as long as he could. His family was is also just as involved in the hobby as he was. His wife Pat has been very heavily involved with fashions, and still his. His son Ken Davis has been active in model a's ever since 1969 when his dad bought their 1929 tudor. Many of you have an Air conditioner, alternator, and modern shock kits that Ken has been making since the 80's. The model a "bug" has even bit Kens kids, as kens daughter (Jesse) does fashion judging, and Kens son (Matt) Plans on restoring the 1929 tudor that started this families A obsession, once he gets back from his service in the Army while also driving his 1929 pickup that ken and ron built in the 1970's.

Ron Davis will truly be missed by all DFW model A'ers, and all of his model a friends all over the country. I learned more from him than probably anyone else about the model a, and how things operated. From ages 15-18 i cant tell you how many days id spend at his house just listening to his stories, and asking questions. He had a way of explaining things, so that no matter what your automotive experience was, you understood what he was saying.

Ill post some pictures that his daughter in-law posted on facebook, some of you may recognize him from various meets. Ill also post a link to his online obituary if you want to read that as well. The family has asked if you want to do anything in his honor, please donate to the Maffi museum.

Obituary:
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dig...CfPd4.facebook

Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: We lost a great one: Ron Davis

A great loss to our hobby and he will not be easily replaced. Prayers and sympathy are extended to his family and friends,
Wayne from Canada
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Michael M

Prayers and condolences to Ron's family and friends.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thanks for posting. RIP Ron.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
John S

The Dallas Model A Ford Club will not be the same without him.
Rest In Peace Ron. See ya down the road.....
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Jordan

I lost one of my "extra" grandpa's. He was always so nice and was one of the only people besides my real grandpa who would let me drive his Model A's anytime I wanted. He was a true asset to our hobby and my life. RIP ron. Hope they have some model a's up there.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
raprice22

Rest in peace.
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
fordcoupe

It's sad to loose someone with so much knowledge and dedication for the A hobby sorry for the loss
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
mshmodela

Sorry for your and Ron's Family and friends in the DFW area

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
CarlG

As one of Ron's fans from afar, I am truly saddened by this news. I have a set of Ken's shocks on my PU, and as strange as it seems (for a guy from Alaska), I also have Ken's heater/air conditioner. A great craftsman with a heart for Model As everywhere, will be sorely missed. I am grateful that he instilled in his family his love of Model A's so that his legend will not die with him. My condolences to his immediate family as well as his extended family of Model A'ers everywhere.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 12-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote