Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Scary Story: Model A, I-95 Daytona, Tuesday 20th

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
It doesn't say much for the cops that should have had this jerk off the interstate before he got that far.

A 45 mph minimum is unsafe.
I agree that he was foolish to drive on the freeway, but the moron that hit him was 100% at fault. He was not in control of his car and he should have to pay for all damages.

I think these high speeds are rediculous, and most people think it's OK to go over the high posted speeds. Nobody seems to care about fuel economy and safety anymore.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
It doesn't say much for the cops that should have had this jerk off the interstate before he got that far.

But if 45 is the posted minimum and the car goes 46 what right does the cop have to kick him off the interstate?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Quote:

FYI the speed limit in that area is 70 and the minimum is 50. Also note that the state no longer posts the minimum limit on signs on some parts of I 95.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #24
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Illinois View Post
I always questioned the point of seat belts in a model a, it may be better to be thrown from the car than to roll over or side impact. What ever your comfort zone is. Also you have a gas tank in your lap that can easily. Spill gas or crack on impact. Therefore. My choice would be to take my chances being thrown out of. My model a.
I didn't have belts in my roadster and was hit in the front my wife was thrown out of the car and nearly killed 20 years ago, if I had belts like it does now she would not of been hurt
And still has pain from it today I hope you don't have to test your theory .
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #25
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Nobody seems to care about fuel economy and safety anymore.
I fully agree Tom, but everybody wants to whine about the cost of gasoline while they speed!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
marc hildebrant

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
While I'm driving in Massachusetts, I find that if I drive at the speed limit, I have "clear sailing" in front of me. It's very relaxing to set the cruise control and rarely brake for traffic in front.

By the way, I grew up in Massachusetts and had a father with very aggressive driving. While learning to drive and during my early years....I was aggressive with my driving and went over the limit often. Somewhere along the way, with my family (5 children) needing me I "got religion " and slowed down.

Driving my Harley and Model A has made me a very defensive driver and I have to laugh at the silly aggressive drivers here in the twin cities...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #27
FL&WVMIKE

I avoid driving my old cars and my Harley on the interstates. Too many stupid people out there !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
ericr

not to preach too much, but the overwhelming speeding problem on our various roads will never been solved until this country breaks into the modern era and installs, as Germany has done, computer speed detectors at strategic points that ascertain speeders and result in tickets.

where I live, the city has installed similar devices to ticket drivers who run red lights. Naturally various morons have protested.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Jordan

This is the reason my Model A is somewhat modified. When I inherited the car, it was bone stock. It would go 60 mph no problem, but I didn't feel comfortable holding it there for long periods of time. I drive my A at the speed limit on the highways around here (well the speed limits 65 & under). I'm aware of my surroundings, I leave ample stopping room. I've never felt unsafe. I've also never heard of a Model A being in a wreck on the highway because it was actually going the speed limit.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
not to preach too much, but the overwhelming speeding problem on our various roads will never been solved until this country breaks into the modern era and installs, as Germany has done, computer speed detectors at strategic points that ascertain speeders and result in tickets.

where I live, the city has installed similar devices to ticket drivers who run red lights. Naturally various morons have protested.
The Twin Cities tried the red light camera, but it got thrown out of court because the camera couldn't identify the driver, and the driver should get the ticket, not the car. At least that was the argument that got the cameras removed.

Today's cars are so smooth and quiet that you are less aware of your true speed and the driver's aren't driving, but talking, texting, putting on makeup, and any number of other dumb things, instead of watching the road and other traffic.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #31
ericr

Quote:
The Twin Cities tried the red light camera, but it got thrown out of court because the camera couldn't identify the driver, and the driver should get the ticket, not the car. At least that was the argument that got the cameras removed.

Today's cars are so smooth and quiet that you are less aware of your true speed and the driver's aren't driving, but talking, texting, putting on makeup, and any number of other dumb things, instead of watching the road and other traffic.
the cameras have caused quite a bit of protest here in Ohio, with voters in some cities launching ballot initiatives to remove them. Our cops locally have studies that show red light running here went from like a thousand incidents to a fraction of that.

When I was growing up, everyone around here stopped for yellow lights.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

I've seen traffic with the green light held up by as many as 6 red light runners.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Sometimes appears all sorts of different types of accidents just happen for no "apparent" reason where even all precautions taken could never have prevented such an occurrence.

All of us are guilty of taking chances & doing something irrational at times .... that is, if we can think back & are able remember.

Maybe the Model A driver could have been a highly visible pedestrian walking on the side of the highway in a brightly illuminated Santa Claus suit; or on horseback in an Easter Bunny costume, with bright, blinking 18 wheeler taillights attached to both his back & the horse's rear ...... & for no "apparent" reason still got hit.

I find it always most interesting to hear sincere shared opinions & sincerely offered cautions from Model A owners after such tragic Model A events; however, we may never know what the guy that caused the collision was thinking of at the time or actually doing at the time on the point of impact.

The car can be replaced with something similar, but a Model A owner cannot be brought back ........ thank goodness for this wonderful miracle that this poor soul survived.

This story is a very good reminder for all of us to be careful.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW:

Sometimes appears all sorts of different types of accidents just happen for no "apparent" reason where even all precautions taken could never have prevented such an occurrence.

All of us are guilty of taking chances & doing something irrational at times .... that is, if we can think back & are able remember.

Maybe the Model A driver could have been a highly visible pedestrian walking on the side of the highway in a brightly illuminated Santa Claus suit; or on horseback in an Easter Bunny costume, with bright, blinking 18 wheeler taillights attached to both his back & the horse's rear ...... & for no "apparent" reason still got hit.

I find it always most interesting to hear sincere shared opinions & sincerely offered cautions from Model A owners after such tragic Model A events; however, we may never know what the guy that caused the collision was thinking of at the time or actually doing at the time on the point of impact.

The car can be replaced with something similar, but a Model A owner cannot be brought back ........ thank goodness for this wonderful miracle that this poor soul survived.

This story is a very good reminder for all of us to be careful.
HL, part of the problem IMHO is that the highways carry far far more traffic volume than they were designed to handle safely.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Quote:

The ticket here in Florida are not traffic tickets but like parking tickets where the cars owner is ticketed.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Eric,

Good point & agree ....... & other factors could be ...... not what is in his wallet ...... but what is in his cigarette ....... plus many other factors only limited by one's imagination.

I remember gravel roads with no shoulders loaded with slow moving horse & mule drawn hay wagons on farm to market roads; many cars often noted jacked up in a traffic lane to fix tube tire flats caused by nails picked up on gravel roads; visitors parked in a traffic lane visiting friends who had no car & no driveway to cross the adjacent roadside ditch -- it was a just a different time with different experiences.

I often imagine if the U.S. had an electrical blackout today & we would have to resort all the way to our ancestor's kerosene lamps, at the end of one month, America with multiple careless house fires, we would be close to a homeless nation because nobody studied the simplicity of being cautious while operating a Kerosene Lamp.

Agree, we should never feel too safe on any highway -- tragic accidents really hit home when it involves family.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #37
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
But if 45 is the posted minimum and the car goes 46 what right does the cop have to kick him off the interstate?
Under the law, the officer cannot ticket or cause to be removed from the road anyone who is maintaining at least the legal limit (in most states; Florida? I don't know the application of this law).

However, officers, especially State Troopers do have the "less safe" legal doctrine on their side.

This is a clear case in my mind for a Trooper to have the vehicle sidelined (low speed, low visibility, low engineering structure to take a hit) in order to protect the other drivers on the road.

Yes, you may consider this a "Nanny State" doctrine, protecting us from ourselves, but someone doing 68 in a 70 with a well maintained car and a defensive driving attitude should not have to be endangered by someone else ahead in traffic pushing his rights to drive at the minimum in a vehicle clearly NOT designed for modern highway traffic at the possible expense of both himself and the law abiding citizen.

The closest, and certainly not definitive, similarity to this doctrine is the low horsepower motorcycle (usually under 4 hp) being banned from restricted access highways. Old diesel MB's, VW vans, and other 70's candle wax burners should probably be included under the "less safe" doctrine!!

I make my living on the highway, 8-12 hours a day, usually on I-95, and while I'd like to see the German/Euro system of Autobahns where possible, the American system and road engineering will never make this superior system workable. We are left with the words of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus of "Hill St. Blues", "Let's be careful out there!"