Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Got my 33 running today Great

I had my 33 in the big garage behind the house and have not had it running for a couple of years.I did keep the battery charge so that was ok. But when I tried to start it gas was running out of the fuel pressure regulator that was in the gas line. So I put the original gas line back on.Still the car would not start. The electric fuel pump wasn't working either. I poured some gas in the carb and it started but shut down right away. Maybe fuel pump? I desided to pull the 33 over in the garage at the house and go over it complety. I drain all the gas out of the fuel tank and boy did it stink. I had a new 6 volt electric fuel pump so I put it on the car.I got 5 gallon of fresh gas and then tried to start the car. I turn on the electric fuel pump to get the gas up to the carb. Still won't start. Again I poured some gas in the carb and the car started for a short time and now I change the carb. Then I primed with the electric fuel pump then hit the starter and she started right up. The carb was the problem all the time.The 33 had a 97 on it and always ran super until now. Barb and I went for a little ride to check it out and she runs very nice. Sitting does any car no good. She a bit dusty and I need to drive her more then I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 Ford 1.jpg (68.4 KB, 90 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl
Default Re: Got my 33 running today Great

She's a Beauty...
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
BrianCT

Well, it's about time.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Gumpy

trial and error till she fires thats the key....a machinist told me once if you have a car stored start it twice a month although i like to start once a week and bring up to 180 degrees...beautiful car thanks Gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
jim1932

If you leave it at my house I promise to drive it once a week for you to keep her fresh.....
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Old Redneck

I have been wanting to get her running for a long time. Now to clean her up. I have a overdrive a Borg Warner in the rear of the drive shaft that works very well. I am going to take it out and put a Columbia in her. I have one in my 39 Ford and it works very well.I just love these old fords.I think I will drive my 33 to the National Meet someday.My 33 is stock except for dual exhaust,solid roof that way when I got her, overdrive. I do need a chrome seat handle that adjust the seat. I broke mine. Does anyone make a repo?I had tp put a few of my Junkers outside while I mopped the garage floor. Fords do leak a bit I have found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39,35,33,39 In front of house.jpg (74.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
RPMREX

What a dreamy car!!
RPMREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
lee34

Another survivor .Probably the reason it would not start with out replacing carb was the old fuel had the carb stopped up and the float /needle stuck.You can prolong the storage time by adding a treatment to fuel.Several good brands available. I have had better luck (?) using outboard boat motor companies treatment .(Yamaha Mercury etc.)
The best method is to drive it.Great car but i am a little prejudiced (make that a lot)

since I have owned one 52 years, My 2cents lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
jim1932

I also think we have a tendency to put the gas stabilizer in when we park it rather than run it so it gets into the fuel pump and carb. I know I am guilty of it.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
G.M.

I have a lot of old Fords and some haven't been run for a few years. Here's what I found for starting problems. Start with a fully charged battery, remove the air cleaner and have someone push the starter button with the switch on, as soon as it turns give it 2 or 3 good shots of starting fluid. If NOTHING at all happens it's not going to start you should at least get some little sign of fireing. If it starts a little and dies repeat the cranking and a couple of squirts as it's turning. This time if it fires as it starts to die give it a couple of short shots and continue giveing short shots to keep it running and in most cases will pick up gas and keep running. Starting fluid will fire with a weaker spark than gas. If it runs with the starter fluid and won't pick up gas remove the fuel line at the carb end and crank the engine with a 1/4" hose over the fuel line and into a plastic water bottle. This will show if the pump, flex line or pick up tube in the tank is plugged provided there is gas in the tank. If it don't fire at all take the caps off the distributor and clean with a strip of a business card with a little contact cleaner. After sitting for a fairly long time the points get a film of oxidation which insulates them. Once started this oxidation seems to go away. Also look for corroided battery terminal connections when sitting. Another BIG problem is the flex gas hose. The old material don't like the new gas and gets soft or very small pin holes that suck air and won't pull fuel from the tank. You don't see a fuel leak because it's so small and has a suction on it. Bob Shewman [email protected] makes hoses for ALL old Fords out of space program materials that will last as long as you own the car. He makes 2 types, one is like the original and the other looks like the original but the hex fitting at the fuel pump is slightly longer that has a check valve built in that provents the gas from draining back to the gas tank. This allows fuel to be trapped in the fuel pump and the fuel line between the carb and pump so it will start easier with very little cranking. The fuel in the carb can evaporate when the engine is shut down when hot so between this and the drain back to the tank it takes a lot of cranking to get enough fuel to fill the carb. The fuel in the carb can not syphon back, only leak in the carb or evaporate. I have these hoses on my cars and they start right up as soon as the starter engauges. When they sit for 6 or 8 months I remove the air cleaner, squirt 2 or 3 good shots down the carb, get in and as soon as it fires choke as required. Chokeing as you first hit the starter anytime can cause flooding and when this happens it won't even bark once leading one to believe there is no spark. This happen quite often and things get taken apart which can cause larger problems. When working with the fuel system have a fire extinguiser handy. G.M.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Old Redneck

I ordered a new hoses a couple of days ago. Should have it this comming week.I plan on having all his hoses on all my Fords.I still like the electric fuel pump for a backup in hot weather. I only use it to prime when sitting for a long time. Works very well, I know you don't like them but just my two cents.Sure would love to come down this winter.We will see.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
joe plumber

Absolutely beautious ,Redneck.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote