Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
46 ford

Default rear main seal 46 ford flathead v8

hello everyone,
I enjoy searching the forums for answers, but I am having trouble installing my graphite rear main seal in the engine while it is still in the truck. I removed the rear cap and was not able to pull the new seal through. I then loosened the other two mains in attempt to drop the crank slightly, but no luck. I am assuming that because the output shaft is still connected to the transmission is the reason why the crank will not drop enough. I torqued the front two caps back on and am considering loosening the transmission mounting bolts to the bellhousing and then jacking the block up slightly to give the needed clearance to pull the seal through. Having said all this, the Chinese finger puller that Mac's sells was not available., I bought a puller at NAPA, which was supposed to have a Chinese finger in it, but the new tool does not include the Chinese finger puller but a clip is supplied. This clip has pulled out of the end where I fastened it as I attempted to pull the seal through. The seal got about an inch and a half in and then the clip lets loose. I have ordered a new seal because my first attempts have ruined the seal. Wondering if the Chinese finger puller is better and if anybody has used this puller to install these seals with the engine in the vehicle. Would appreciate any tips or suggestions.
thanks