Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Bill Mills

Default Pertronix 1281 -292 y block

Removed distributor cap to see what points looked like. Broke the brittle wire from distributor to coil and from ballast resistor to coil. Replaced the distributor wire, but the terminal lug just spun in the distributor and let the new wire ground out against the side of the distributor. No fire. Bought a Pertronix 1281, watched a YouTube video, and voila, a new electronic ignition. Car starts faster and idles smoother, and runs great. Anyone with similar results?

Bill
Bill Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: Pertronix 1281 -292 y block

Bill, not sure about the Youtube video but I too have had excellent results from a solid state/electronic ignition upgrade. I went the ACCEL route however (kit number 2020) and it has been excellent. Installed in several Y blocks the past 5 years or so.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
46yblock

Mine has worked very well. Make sure you either use a ballast resistor or a coil with internal resistence, or a resistor wire. I did have a lot of problems with an overheating coil due to inadequate resistance, early on. Also had a problem burning out the Pertronix and boiling out the coil when I left the ignition on overnight.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
LOWRIDER

Worked on a few with the Pertronics systems. Seems like a good system. Easier on old eyes and fingers setting points and dropping screws. Myself I installed a Duraspark II system on my 57, mainly because I had all the parts laying around. Works good & trouble free.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
oldave57

I installed the Pertronix 1281 and Flamethrower 1.5 Ohm coil in my 57 Fairlane with 292 (about 4 years ago) and have had no problems at all with the system. The car starts and runs great and the timing has stayed spot-on. It's a great improvement over the old contact points/condenser system.

Regards,
Dave
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Bill Mills

I measured the resistance on the existing coil and it was greater than 1.5 ohms. Tech support says I do not need ballast resistor, so I left it off. Hope I did not make a mistake. Coil label says to use one. What do you think?

Bill
Bill Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
oldave57

That's a good question regarding the need for a ballast resistor. The failure of an over-heated coil sometimes doesn't show up until you're on the road for a longer drive and then it's never convenient when it fails. For the price of the Pertronix Flamethrower coil (around $40 on Ebay), I would go ahead and get the coil that is known to work with the Pertronix 1281 installation. The Flamethrower coil is an oil-filled coil and I have also read that some users mount it vertically on the firewall to avoid loss of oil. I have had mine mounted in the original horizontal position for over 4 years with no problem and it uses the original mounting bracket, so I would say it works either way.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Osubuki

Just curious if any of you had to adjust your timing after installing the petronix unit. I have one sitting on the shelf waiting to go in. Just didn't know if it is plug and play or if I will need to adjust timing after installation.
Osubuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
oldave57

It is very likely that you will have to re-set your timing after the Pertronix installation. The location of the Pertronix components (the magnetic ring that slips over the 8-sided cam on the distributor shaft and the Pertronix module) will not be in the same position as the contact points after installation. The re-setting of the timing is done with the same timing light that you would have used before and once it is set, it stays in perfect time because there is no wear as there was with the rubbing block against the cam and the pitting of the points.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Talkwrench

I use the Pertronix Ignitor 3 , you get multi spark through the entire rev range & rev limiter all built in for not a lot extra, I ALWAYS use the Pertronix matching coil, just buy it as a set and you know it will be right.. Never a problem if you put them onto a reconditioned dissy.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I use the Pertronix Ignitor 3 , you get multi spark through the entire rev range & rev limiter all built in for not a lot extra, I ALWAYS use the Pertronix matching coil, just buy it as a set and you know it will be right.. Never a problem if you put them onto a reconditioned dissy.
Ditto on all of the above...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote