Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
robert shreveport

Default 36 5-window

Am new to the mid 30's looks what is specific in looking at a 36 5-window ford coupe. I'm learning some today at cruzin the coast. need to know at a glimpse what a 36 looks like and some of the differences in a 36 and a 37,38,39. Guy wanted 26,000 for a 5-window coupe with283,turbo 350, good air and power brakes and steering. Primer black, doors closed easily and opened smoothly. Need guidance on what they look like and the generic value.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
BrianCT

Default Re: 36 5-window

Here's one. Worth more with a flathead in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01019.jpg (62.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

here's a link to a group on the 'Barn....hopefully it will help.....gotta love those '36s....Mike

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
tierod

Talking Re: 36 5-window

google 1936 ford and you should get sites with pictures and other info.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Tom Morookian

$26K isn't bad if the body is in good shape. If it's got original running gear and front end you could revert to a flatty. Only an ahole puts a chevy in a ford.

I've got $30K in my resurrection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-16-2006-06.jpg (73.8 KB, 22 views)
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
1936coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
heres mine in a rare bit of english sun.
1936coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
TJ

If you are new to the 30's world of V-8s you should take a knowledgeable person with you to look at a car before you buy. At least take someone who is knowlegeable about paint and body work. You want to buy the best body and sheetmetal that you can find.I suggest you buy one with a stock looking body and a stock paint job. If you ever need to sell it you can at least find more buyers.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Gumpy

I agree with TJ the body on the car may need some work,,,the gent is asking his price because it is a 36 ford.....not because of the condition you described,,,,it depends if you want a stocker or altered original.....good luck
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

In my opinion I would rather have the flathead, 3 speed ford transmission and the stock steering and front end. Some guys like that chevy drive train but it's just not for me at all. I'm not a purist by any means but I really do enjoy a warmed up flathead. Eveyone has a SBC, nothing special there.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
blucar

,There are a multitude of opinions as to what is best in old cars. A dead stock '36 Ford would appeal to the purists, however a '36 that has had some upgrades like hydraulic brakes, '37-40 steering and a 59 AB engine with a Columbia OD, would appeal to a larger group because the car is more useful for general transportation.
The addition of a late model V8, SBC or Ford 289-302-351W with AT, PS, AC, and after market running gear from TCI, Fatman, etc.. would have a greater appeal to the younger and/or more performance minded car guys. Cars that have been modified using front/rear suspension from late model cars. i.e. Camaro's, Mustangs, Gremlins, etc. generally are accidents looking for a place to happen.
When it comes to the body you are entering an area that is the most important part of the whole deal.. The majority of old car bodies are pure junk as a result of rust out to the floor pan, quarter panels, etc.. The methods used to repair the rusted out areas vary greatly from pieces of wood, burlap bags, window screen and bondo, which are then covered over with roofing tar/under-seal and/or paint.... Primer is generally the coating that covers up the greatest amount of sins that a body may have.
If you are considering the purchase of an old car and you are not well versed in what to look for, engage the services of someone that does know.
In the terms of desirability, the '32, 34, 36, & 40 are generally the most desirable pre war cars, however, anyone that has a '33, 35, 37-38 would disagree with that statement.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Matt in Alameda

I think blucar nailed it.......basically you try to find the one that releases endorphins in your brain every time you look at it...I am sooo blown away how Henry's cars of the 30's look..lots of obvious beauty but a lot more of subtle beauty, it takes a long time to "see" one...when you find the car you like you have to hope you can find the bucks to close the deal. I got rid of my BMW convertible to buy my '35 5 Window coupe....I felt I was nuts to do it, but I have never ever regretted it. Good luck to you,....Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Scott/Mn

Robert, I like the '36 Fords; the styling is streamlined and unique. Also I prefer a genuine Ford flathead, either stock or souped up.

When I was looking for a car years ago i bought an inexpensive tool ("spot rot") which looks like a tire pressure gauge, but uses a magnet to judge paint thickness or detect bondo. You can use it on a finished car since it won't mar the finish. I figure this tool saved alot of aggravation since body work seems to be the most expensive part, for me, of restoring the car.
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote