Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Rust 911 before and after

Here is a soak in 2x strength rust911(generic evaporust) after a few hours on a 63 corvette spare tire box part. Below is my soak container:

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Rust 911 before and after

You lost me, Mr. Texas??
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
tubman

I think he is trying to show us how well this works. I have done it this way and it does work. I think the guy tried to give us a heads up. I appreciate that.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
19Fordy

Top of photo shows one arm "before". Below that is "after".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

the container appears to be a tall full size trash can with a recirculator pump to keep the part constantly wet
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
the container appears to be a tall full size trash can with a recirculator pump to keep the part constantly wet
I think the real container is the PVC pipe below. With caps on it and a groove cut for the long part to enter.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I think the real container is the PVC pipe below. With caps on it and a groove cut for the long part to enter.
yeah, on second look that may be correct. I used a big piece of pvc to soak my dash rail and steering column, but I used vinegar and I didn't cut the pipe, just put caps on both ends
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Kahuna

You guys are so smart. I had no idea what I was looking at.
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
cas3

i bought the 56 dollar jug of 911, makes 16 gallons of stuff they say. it sure works good, but i was disappointed by how fast the solution looses its power. i made a 2x4 frame 2' by 40" and lined it with plastic. then did the recomended mix of 8 oz per gallon. the plan was to do some sheet metal parts i'm afraid will warp if sand blasted. first item in for a test was a 34 windshield frame. what i hoped for was to soften up the rust enough to get it apart. i needed the corner brackets, and the hinge brackets, and i wanted to see what it did to the chrome finish. i was hoping to do the seat base after that, but the solution turned black and stopped working just from the one part. 8 gallons of mix it took to cover it, and again my box was made big enough for the seat pan, but half the 56 bucks did not completely clean the windshield frame, and all screws had to be drilled out. next i filled the same box with about 3 gallons of molassis, at 9 bucks for 5 gallons, and put in my header above the windshield, and the cover over the transmission, and now about a month later the parts are like new. very slow, you must plan ahead, but it keeps its strength for ever, just add another part when its time. evapo rust, and rust 911 are wonderful things, but keep it for very small parts imho, skip forgot to mention the chrome part. this frame i put in was not good, but i have one that is good enough to use and wanted to see what the 911 would do to the chrome. where the chrome is good it had no effect. but where the chrome had started to peel at all it would lift it off the surface as there must have been rust forming under the chrome. so my opinion-keep the old chrome out of the stuff

Last edited by cas3; 10-08-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
tubman

I have had the same experience with "Rust 911". It seems to "wear out" faster than "Evaporust", but it's still enough cheaper that it's a better value. I have tried molasses without much success (maybe I'm a little impatient). I just received a 5 LB bag of citric acid (supposedly the active ingredient in products like "Evaporust" and "Rust-911"). From what I have found so far, it should be mixed with water and a little detergent; I am now trying to determine what the optimum mixture should be. It was $13.19 (plus shipping) from Amazon.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
zzlegend

About 28 years ago, I had my 57 olds hood louvered. 2 guys did a great job. Brought it home and installed it and then life got in the way. Fast forward to last week after 28 years, and started working on the olds. Opened the hood and kicked my butt for not priming that hood back when. So I removed it and I taped a plastic sheet over the top of the louvers and flipped the hood upside down. I bought some rust 911 and mixed about ten gallons using their formula and poured it in and made a lake with it. After about 1 to 2 days that hood looked like brand new sheet metal. I drained it, rinsed it clean, used wax remover and sealed it with epoxy primer. I should have taken a picture after it was clean. My bad..
I was going to sandblast it but was worried about warpage with so many louvers. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57oldsh1.jpg (97.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 57 olds hood 1.jpg (87.8 KB, 60 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
Anteek29

zzlegend...wow - impressive!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
About 28 years ago, I had my 57 olds hood louvered. 2 guys did a great job. Brought it home and installed it and then life got in the way. Fast forward to last week after 28 years, and started working on the olds. Opened the hood and kicked my butt for not priming that hood back when. So I removed it and I taped a plastic sheet over the top of the louvers and flipped the hood upside down. I bought some rust 911 and mixed about ten gallons using their formula and poured it in and made a lake with it. After about 1 to 2 days that hood looked like brand new sheet metal. I drained it, rinsed it clean, used wax remover and sealed it with epoxy primer. I should have taken a picture after it was clean. My bad..
I was going to sandblast it but was worried about warpage with so many louvers. Just my 2 cents.
Now that looks great!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
cas3

tubman keep us posted on the citric acid, i'd love to hear the results
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote