Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
johnh7

Default Mac's USA made master cylinder or so I thought

I just received the USA made master cylinder that I recently purchased from Mac's. I paid more because it was made in the USA. Upon receiving it today I looked at the box and found two stickers on the box. One placed there by the manufacturer and one placed there by Mac's. I am attaching a picture of them, tell me where you think it was made?

Mac's do you have a comment? I know you have a presence here on Ford Barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stickers.JPG (209.9 KB, 614 views)

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Fredb_

Default Re: Mac's USA made master cylinder or so I thought

Well let's see. It says once "Made in USA" and three times in three languages "Made in Taiwan". Plain old odds say Taiwan I suppose. Bit of misleading advertizing.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
johnh7

What I received is not even the part number that I ordered. I ordered their part number 47-20092-1 For the 1/2 ton pickup. They sent me their part number 64-20092 for the passenger car. It also claims to have boot and push rod, but there is no push rod in the box. That part number also claims to be made in the USA.

I called customer support and a nice young woman apologized and said that should not have happened to me. She said that the man responsible for rectifying the wrong order will contact me within 48 hours. She said he requires that time to do a full research on what happened.

I will keep you guys posted.

How about it Mac's representative here on Ford Barn, how do you explain this? Not only did I get the wrong part, it was incomplete and also claims to be made in the USA when obviously it is not. Wrong part, incomplete, and lied about where it is made. Please explain?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Mike B

"Henco en Taiwan"? That's just too funny.
"fabrique en Taiwan"...funny too.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Wagner parts used to be made in the USA. Foreign competition has swung most auto part manufacturers to the Asian made products. I wonder how long it has been since those parts were made here? Re-sellers need to be careful of their claims or they'll be looking like fools.

Most of the master cylinders made now don't have anything but a boot. A haven't seen too many with actuating rods in them.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
51504bat

When I bought my '39 p/u the PO had just replaced the M/C (off shore) and it wouldn't always release meaning the brakes would remain locked. I replaced it with a USA made Wagner from Joe's Antique Auto and haven't had any problems since. IMO stay with a USA M/C if at all possible.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
RandyZ

I ordered upper control arm shafts for a 64 Galaxie from Macs. Obviously made offshore. very rough surface where the O ring rides. Also the O ring was really poorly made and the was no way that it would fit. Oddly enough when I measured the ID and OD, it turned out that 4MM O ring fits just fine.
Also when I unpacked the box. I noticed that one bag with shaft was a lot heavier than the other. one bag had one shaft and the other had two. Both bags had the exact same part number. I guess somebody in India or China can't count.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
2935ford

The sticker states "Usa Made" not USA Made or Made in USA.

Is Usa the company in Taiwan?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
2935ford

^^^^^^^
hammer on the head!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

kI have been seeing on parts boxes-- Made in USA with imported parts ---looking at the parts, the box, and instructions the made part is putting the part, instructions in the box
Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
ford38v8

Another label to be aware of: "Assembled in USA"
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Perhaps this should be handled by Mac's first, and then if you don't get satisfaction you can smear it all over the Internet. But at least give them a chance to respond before digging in your heels.
Ordinarily, I'd agree with that. But when the evidence is so overwhelming, there can be no defense.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Talkwrench

I bought this up about Timken... Hardly anything made in the good ol' USA any more.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
slowforty

I saw the end of U.S. Manufacturing in 1968.
I bought a Zenith Radio with a turntable and an eight-track player.
On the back it said assembled in Taiwan with U. S made parts.,
I asked my father what he thought of it.
He said "The F@#%$&G J@&S won the War!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Randy in ca

Mac's website has pictures of 2 different available master cylinders. Their part number for 91A-2140-US is 32-20092-1 and the picture of it clearly show "Made in the USA" cast into the side of the cylinder. The other version they offer is their part number 32-20091-1 and there are obvious differences in the pictures - the filler cap, the rubber boot and the push rod. Which one do you have? Perhaps this is a simple case of a miss-labeled box (human error)??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac's master cylinder #1.jpg (32.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Mac's master cylinder #2.jpg (35.4 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Randy in ca; 05-21-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Shadetree

We have a real mess here in the U.S. when it comes to buying anything new of good quality. Not only our old car parts, but just about everything you pick up. I have an old Alimite (sp) grease gun that I have had for years. It still works great but it is not the cartridge type and it is a real mess to refill with bulk grease. I went to NAPA to buy another American made grease gun and after the salesperson looked at about twenty grease guns he shook his head and said they’re all made in China. I’ll put up with the mess..
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #17
GB SISSON

I have been rebuilding a 59ab for my '47 panel from lightly used and old nos parts. In fact almost all of the parts, brakes etc are used. They came from a lifetime of old ford trucks and no matter the wear and abuse, they soar above whatever I can find from the vendors of today. Last Saturday I was at a swap meet and I bought a starter solenoid with a push button from a vendor for something like 28 bucks. White box, stamped with what it was. About an hour later a family selling boxes of stuff and I bought 3 push button equipped solenoids in echlin or sorenson boxes fo 5 bucks each, never mind a 20" spoke split rim with good tire for my AA for 20 bucks. I DO NOT want to be broken down beside the road with an inferior overseas component made of junk by 14 year old workers when there is a used part or nos that will gradually wear out over a long period of time. My third biggest passion (behind my family and old fords) is reading about ww2 and we won the big one fair and square. Sorry for the rant.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-22-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 AM   #18
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Mac's website has pictures of 2 different available master cylinders. Their part number for 91A-2140-US is 32-20092-1 and the picture of it clearly show "Made in the USA" cast into the side of the cylinder. The other version they offer is their part number 32-20091-1 and there are obvious differences in the pictures - the filler cap, the rubber boot and the push rod. Which one do you have? Perhaps this is a simple case of a miss-labeled box (human error)??

I ordered Mac's part number 47-20092-1 the master cylinder for a 1/2 ton pickup. They sent me part number 64-20092 for a passenger car. Both as listed online show made in the USA. The one I ordered was supposed to be made in the USA and come with boot and push rod, so was the one they sent me. It came master cylinder and boot, no push rod. So the wrong part was sent, the parts are incomplete and it is supposed to be made in the USA and it is not. Mac's can try to explain it, they can say they sent the wrong part. They can say they are sorry the parts sent were incomplete, but what can they say about putting their sticker showing USA Made over one that says made in Taiwan? Too many issues with one simple order.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Yeah, the defense could be a mis-boxed mis-labeled part and I think Mac's response should have come before this thread was started.
If it was as simple as you state I would agree, but as you can see they put their sticker stating the part is USA made over one stating it is made in Taiwan. That is not a mistaken part, that is fraud.

In addition, they sent the wrong part and that part was incomplete. The entire order shows how they do business. If you like to be treated that way, then enjoy it. It is your choice. I don't like poor service, misrepresented manufacture, wrong parts and incomplete parts at that. I will share that kind of poor service every time. If you disagree, perhaps you should read another post?

If it was just a wrong part, I would not have written a word. That can happen to anyone.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #20
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
The sticker states "Usa Made" not USA Made or Made in USA.

Is Usa the company in Taiwan?

That would be a thought, but online the part clearly states made in USA. Here is the link to the part I paid for. If you click on the picture you will see "Made in USA" stamped on the side.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v...on-pickup.html

Closed Thread