Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #41
Menace Kustoms

Default Re: Synchro trans for a 34 Ford?

Well, I don't want the car down that long. Mechanical speaking, I'm pretty handy. Though I've never messed with these before, I built my first car, a 1970 Mustang, myself when I was 15. If I were to change styles of transmissions, it would need to look correct and require no permanent modifications.
Menace Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #42
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Then I think you best bet is to attempt it your self. Get VanPelt's book and look it over and see what is involved, then decide how long you think it will take you to rebuild one. Based on that rebuild yours or go for one to swap. Remember you are mostly going to be looking for a new set of guts if you are updating the synchros.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #43
Menace Kustoms

So I just need to find a decent case to swap newer style guts into.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I think you can swap them into your existing case, but I wouldn't get in a hurry buying anything until you totally understand what is involved, thru the reading.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #45
Menace Kustoms

Oh, I'm not gonna jump on anything immediately. But I know myself, if I have to swap parts into the existing case, it'll end up taking forever to get it back together. It'd be easier to get it all nice and pretty and functional and just swap it in. My add kills me sometimes.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #46
Menace Kustoms

Spending the money isn't the issue at all. And I certainly want to do the RIGHT thing. I don't want to take any shortcuts believe me. I'll look and see if the case is original to the car, because I suppose that'll help me decide exactly what to do. But, the car isn't 100% original. Like I said, engine, brakes and electrical have been updated, but are stock appearing. But, I do see myself as a caretaker, and I will treat the car like it deserves to be treated.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #47
glennsanders

Like john said,I love my new 3 speed .Its smooth ,no 2 gear pop outs.John did a great job.
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #48
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsanders View Post
Like john said,I love my new 3 speed .Its smooth ,no 2 gear pop outs.John did a great job.
Glenn, the transmission in your '36 fordor really did shift nicely when I drove your car last year at the Gettysburg ENM. After driving your car, I knew I wanted to do the same gear change on my '35 coupes. What will really be interesting is to see how well the special forks for later gear sets, (that were special made for me), will work in a '35 slant back type shift top. At least two other sets of these prototype forks are in early pre '39 transmissions fitted with later gears and working well in cars that see at lot of mileage.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-24-2015 at 06:20 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #49
choppedtudor

Replace the syncromesh rings. Yes, later boxes are better but the 34 will do the job and it's a simple fix.
choppedtudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #50
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedtudor View Post
Replace the syncromesh rings. Yes, later boxes are better but the 34 will do the job and it's a simple fix.
You can't just replace synchronizer rings on the early (pre '39) transmission gear sets because they are not separate/loose parts. The synchronizer teeth are actually machined into other gears in the gear set.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-23-2015 at 07:28 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #51
AnthonyG

The '39 tranny and tower will fit in your car complete. You will need to use a '39 shifter as well. You might need to reform / bend the shifter for clearance & to get it close to the shape on your '34 shifter ( not hard) I used a conduit bender. The tower will sit approx 3/4" to an inch further forward so you will also have to cut a little bit of the trans floor cover in front of the tower. Once your floor mat is in place you will barely notice any difference. The car will shift much better and it's a more robust tranny which was made to handle more HP and shift smother. Still no syncro down shifting to 1st. But that didn't happen til I believe '54 or '55 and that tranny won't fit.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 AM   #52
dumb person

Is the oil the correct weight? Just wondered if that might be causing symptoms and did not see any reference to it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #53
Juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace Kustoms View Post
How do I know which case I have? Can I take pictures and put them up here? What should I be looking for?
Look for the casting number at the bottom rear of the case. It will start with 18- (for a 32-34 style), 48- (for a 36 style) or 78- (for a 37 up style). I have found that some cases with a 78- prefix and a 48 cast in the inside will not take the 29 tooth cluster with ease.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote