Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
hulleywoodworking

Default 1951 F1 Front Rack & Pinion Steering and Suspension Questions

I have dug into the rebuild of my 1951 Ford F1 truck and have questions about rebuilding the front steering and suspension. The PO modified the front end as follows:

-Installed a rebuilt power steering pump from Performance Online
-Installed a No Limit Rack and Pinion Steering Kit
-Installed front disc brake conversion kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford
-Purchased but did not install a dropped front axle from Speedway

I am not overly enthused about the No Limit rack and pinion, as I have not read much positive about it, and it looks kind of jerry rigged to me. EDIT: I am dumping the No Limits rack. Unfortunately, the PO disposed of the original steering parts, so I have to start over. The truck is in pieces, with the front steering and suspesion in a pile. So where do I go from here?

What I want:
-Manual or power steering; manual is fine, as I will be the only driver and I am strong like bull
-Front disc brakes would be nice but not absolutely necessary

Should I try to find an original steering box and linkage, or would I be further ahead to upgrade? What options are out there? I've read alot about the Mustang II assemblies, but wonder if there are less radical options? I was thinking about going back to the original manual steering but keeping the disc brakes as installed. Thoughts? Feedback?

As always, thanks!

John

Last edited by hulleywoodworking; 05-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1951 F1 Front Rack & Pinion Steering and Suspension Questions

Start with the dropped axle! LOL I haven't driven this year of F1 enough to know how good the stock steering is, but I am using an F1 steering box on my 33 coupe! and consider that an upgrade for sure.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Start with the dropped axle! LOL
Why? Please expand.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
Why? Please expand.

John
Because I like dropped axles/lowered front ends. Just my preference, nothing to do with the quality of the finished product.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Andy

Please do not use the rack. It must be mounted on the axle to keep the toe in consistant. This means a slip joint in the steering shaft. The stock F-1 box works just fine. It has the same gears as 37-48 passenger car. If you want easier steering than that, consider a Mustang or a 525 Chevy box. Disks should be an easy swap.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Because I like dropped axles/lowered front ends. Just my preference, nothing to do with the quality of the finished product.
OK. Thanks. I'm not sure if I want to lower the truck at all. I think I may want to stay at original height. Going to look at pictures online of dropped and undropped F1's to decide.

Complicating things is that the PO also bought but never installed a rear lowering kit as well. I suppose that I could put it all up for sale if I decide to not use it.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Please do not use the rack. It must be mounted on the axle to keep the toe in consistant. This means a slip joint in the steering shaft. The stock F-1 box works just fine. It has the same gears as 37-48 passenger car. If you want easier steering than that, consider a Mustang or a 525 Chevy box. Disks should be an easy swap.
I have decided to dump the No Limits rack. Unfortunately, the PO dispose of the old steering parts, so I have to start over, and I'm trying to figure out how.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
OK. Thanks. I'm not sure if I want to lower the truck at all. I think I may want to stay at original height. Going to look at pictures online of dropped and undropped F1's to decide.

Complicating things is that the PO also bought but never installed a rear lowering kit as well. I suppose that I could put it all up for sale if I decide to not use it.

John
That's true and it is an individual taste type of thing. Look at some photos and decide, to me they look to high stock.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
redtriford

I Always say they are only original once. If they were good enough for Henry they are good enough for me.
Find a good used one, a new oil seal in it. It will be a lot simpler, cheaper, and the way it should be.
redtriford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I see boxes on ebay all the time in the $100 to $150 range. Keep in mind that it may require a rebuild, not cheap, but if you sell the parts you have that should more than cover it. What is currently the idea for the column?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
I see boxes on ebay all the time in the $100 to $150 range. Keep in mind that it may require a rebuild, not cheap, but if you sell the parts you have that should more than cover it. What is currently the idea for the column?
I have the original column, modified for the No Limits rack. I'm hoping to be able to take it back to original.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The collumn is basically just a tube that covers the steering shaft. As was mentioned previousy, the F1 steering set ups come up on flea-pay quite often. Even an F100 box & column could be installed with some minor mods. F1 bonus built trucks were quite popular so there are still plenty of parts out there. Even the front brake parts can be located pretty easy if you want original. Get aquainted with what the parts look like and you can spot them pretty quick. Avoid the 3/4 ton F2 & 1-ton F3 stuff though. Parts are harder to find for them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
40cpe

Are F2 steering box, pittman arm, tie rod, rod ends, etc different from the F1 parts?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
waterboychuck

John, this pretty much boils down to what you want,but like yourself I asks questions to get different ideas and then go from there. So do you want to go back to original? That was the best that Henry had at the time, but as you know there has been advances since then and if you want those then go with that. My 48 F1 has is all original except the engine which is a 57 223 6 cylinder that was in the truck when I bought it. I do not like how the truck drives nor do I like the drum brakes so I'll be changing them in the future to a Mustang II manual steering with disk brakes. With that you can lower the front end if you wish or keep the original height. I installed dropped axle in my 48 and like the look so I'll be putting in dropped spindles when the time comes. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
John, this pretty much boils down to what you want,but like yourself I asks questions to get different ideas and then go from there. So do you want to go back to original? That was the best that Henry had at the time, but as you know there has been advances since then and if you want those then go with that. My 48 F1 has is all original except the engine which is a 57 223 6 cylinder that was in the truck when I bought it. I do not like how the truck drives nor do I like the drum brakes so I'll be changing them in the future to a Mustang II manual steering with disk brakes. With that you can lower the front end if you wish or keep the original height. I installed dropped axle in my 48 and like the look so I'll be putting in dropped spindles when the time comes. Hope this helps.
I don't necessarily want to go back to original, but it is an option that I am exploring. At this stage, I am looking at the options and seeking advice. For example, you don't like the way your truck drives or stops so you are going to change out the steering and brakes; can you quantify what it is that you don't like?

I learned how to drive on a 1971 F100 with 3 on the tree, manual steering, and drum brakes all around, so I imagine that the 1951 wouldn't be too different. However, that was a few decades ago, so maybe I won't feel so tough now?!

Anyway, I am starting with a bare slate, as the PO disposed of the original parts, except for the spindles, which were modified for the disc brake kit. I have started looking for the parts, and have found very little available at this point in time. That could change tomorrow, I know, so I am being patient. I could just pick up the Mustang II kit and drop it in, but I want to explore all of my options before I commit.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
MMB

Another option you might want to research is the toyota steering box upgrade/kit. Done a lot 0n 53-6's, gives one power steering while keeping the straight axle.
MMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
rotorwrench

To each there own I guess. The multitude of parts available are the limitations. The bonus trucks steer and brake like trucks did up until the modern era. An F1 package, in good serviceable condition, steers as good as a 1958, 1968, or a 1978 F100 does. When the worm gets worn or the tie rods are loose, you can be all over the place with the steering wheel to keep it between the ditches. If the king pins get too loose you can pickup a death wobble that will surely wake you up quickly. Brakes with drums will never be what disks brakes are. Anticipation is key to survival with drum brakes. Just avoid the quick stop if possible. At least the F1 had a Bendix design brake set up. That definitely works better than the old Lockheed types.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-24-2015 at 09:23 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Fibber Mcgee

I like the way both of my old Fords drive and stop, but then again I drive a truck for a living so I guess anything is an improvement compared to 80000 lbs and two trailers.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
estout81
BANNED

When I restored mine I put new drums, shoes, master and wheel cyls. and lines. Works fine! I also went through the front end. After getting everything to factory specs. it drives fine. Does it drive like a 2015 whatever? No! Does it drive well enough to feel safe? Yes!
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
waterboychuck

John, I'm going to chime in here again. I do not like the way my truck handles in the steering. too much play. I guess that I could go through tightening the box which I did but not much improvement. I have no idea how old you are but I'm 68 and drove cars with drum brakes all the time. One problem with them is when it was raining and I had to drive through a standing water puddle. The method there was to go through the puddle with your left foot on the brake so that the water would not soak the drums. Also if you put drum brakes on a stopping test vs a front wheel disc brake look at the results.
If you install MII rack and pinion you will have to install a different type of steering column as you'll have to put in a double D shaft from one to the other. I do not think that you can keep a standard column with pitman arm to the MII.