Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
don's 37

Default Replacing rear window glass 1937 Ford

Hello guy's! It's been awhile since I've been on the Barn. On my 1937 sedan what kind of job is it to replace the rear window glass?
don's 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Replacing rear window glass 1937 Ford

I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my '35 fordor sedan, so I am all ears on this one. My rear window is fogged up in about 1/3 of the glass area and I need better visibility for safe driving. I had the garnish molding off but the perimeter of the glass seems like it is bonded in place against the opening in the body. I would prefer not to break the original glass so it can be used as a pattern to cut the new glass.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
TJ

Default Re: Replacing rear window glass 1937 Ford

Each car uses a different method to replace the glass. In JM's case the glass is removed and replaced from the inside of the car. I suspect the old sealant has bonded to the body and to the rubber gasket. Use a box cutting knife and cut the gasket on the inside. Remove the cut material and then push on the glass from the outside. Use a little lighter fluid (naptha) between the gasket and the glass and that may help to soften the old gasket and allow the glass to come loose. Once the glass is out you can then remove the old gasket. You may have to use the box cutter to go between the body and the gasket to get it started to come loose. It also keeps the gasket from pulling the old paint from around the opening. Reinstall with new gasket. Put sealer between the gasket and glass and between the body and the gasket. You can put masking tape around the window opening to catch the extra sealant that will squeeze out. Use the garnish molding to hold the glass in place until it is dry.I use the glass sealant from Napa Auto Parts, part #4121.
On the 37 remove the rear garnish and then use a box cutting knife to cut the gasket on the inside. Have a helper to catch the glass as you push it out from the inside. Clean the area of the opening to get all the old rubber and sealant from the body. Place the new glass in the new gasket and then put a small diameter rope into the front groove of the gasket. Have a friend hold the glass to the opening from the inside. Use the rope the pull the gasket forward and into the opening. Once in the opening make sure it is fully in place. Use masking tape around the opening and then use the Napa sealer to seal the gasket to the body. Then go inside the car and use sealer between the gasket and the glass. You can use masking tape on the glass or just use a razor blade for cleanup after the sealer dries. If I've left anything else I'm sure someone will add to my comments.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote