Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
AnthonyG

Default Re: aluminum heads - avoiding corrosion

The galvanic corrosion attacks the sacrificial anode so it basically is being dissolved for better lack of a description. It needs to be changed periodically depending on how fast the galvanic corrosion is taking place which will vary with the amount of current activity caused from the dissimilar metal contact causing. Here is an informative discussion on the subject.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1367057546
Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
Chris Nelson

Kube;
What would be the purpose of using a thin fiber washer between the head and each washer? If it is for the purpose of keeping water below the head nuts, then it allows the water to get up the stud but not out the top? Wouldn't using Permatiex #2 on the threads going into the block be a better solution to keeping the water below the deck of the block? Permatex #2 will also allow fairly easy removal of the studs in the future.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
dwaynec

I think the idea for the thin non-metal washer is to keep the to dissimilar metals from touching each other. Should help with galvanic corrosion.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nelson View Post
Kube;
What would be the purpose of using a thin fiber washer between the head and each washer? If it is for the purpose of keeping water below the head nuts, then it allows the water to get up the stud but not out the top? Wouldn't using Permatiex #2 on the threads going into the block be a better solution to keeping the water below the deck of the block? Permatex #2 will also allow fairly easy removal of the studs in the future.
I was thinking of the thin fiber washers as a way to keep the dissimilar metals (washer vs. head) from coming in to contact with one another.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #25
tamnalan

I'm new to Ford flathead V8s but have a fair amount of experience on flathead motors (jeep engines). I've had good success using permatex #2 on studs, and a copr-kote spray sealer on a copper head gasket to keep the wet stuff away from the head studs.

Fiber washers under the nuts might affect proper head fastener torque, IMHO. I would also be concerned that shrink tubing on studs or antisieze on the stud shafts could affect head gasket sealing when the heads are installed.

But... I have no experience on the Ford V8 motors.
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
scooder

I to think the fiber washer is gonna affect torque settings, you can't keep dissimilar metals apart 100%. The head has to have a ground connection, how do you plan this? Spark plugs are steel, screwed into the ally head, these obviously will touch. And need to for the sparks.
I fancy your worrying to much.
Never seize or its like on the studs, good anti corrosion coolant designed to protect dissimilar metal engines (most modern engines are a mix of metal) and if you want anode in the radiator header tank (same place with an 8BA, for who asked) and sleep easy, stop worrying yourself into a futz about what might happen.
Engines with dissimilar metals have been common place for years now, the coolant available will work.
Martin,
Ps don't forget to change coolant about once a year, they do go off, and jelly up in the water ways.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
I to think the fiber washer is gonna affect torque settings, you can't keep dissimilar metals apart 100%. The head has to have a ground connection, how do you plan this? Spark plugs are steel, screwed into the ally head, these obviously will touch. And need to for the sparks.
I fancy your worrying to much.
Never seize or its like on the studs, good anti corrosion coolant designed to protect dissimilar metal engines (most modern engines are a mix of metal) and if you want anode in the radiator header tank (same place with an 8BA, for who asked) and sleep easy, stop worrying yourself into a futz about what might happen.
Engines with dissimilar metals have been common place for years now, the coolant available will work.
Martin,
Ps don't forget to change coolant about once a year, they do go off, and jelly up in the water ways.
I tend to agree with you in that I am worrying too much.
I am about to step back, relax a little and move forward.
I appreciate all of the advice and opinions.