Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
jiw1

Default 1950 f5 clutch

good afternoon guys,thank you for having me aboard.not to long ago i found a barn fresh 1950 f5 with a grain box dump.the engine is a stuck flathead v8 which i have been trying to free for mounts with no luck. so far i got it to just bearley turn.looks like i will have to take it apart.at this time i am trying to gather some information.does anyone know what size clutch this f5 should have.don't know whats in it but looking for prices.any info will help.thanks,john
jiw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
49fordv8f4

Default Re: 1950 f5 clutch

Welcome to the Barn! The F5 should have an 11" clutch.
Mark
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Ken Crans

Welcome to the Barn..Lots of info here.Take your plugs out put some Marvel Mystery Oil down cylinders Might have to take apart Ditto on 49 for 11in. clutch.Try to post location so others know where you are Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

11" clutch, try half/half, autotransfluid/acetone, hook a truck to it and with it gear rock it back and fourth, a little at a time it just might free up
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Binx

Squirt a bunch of auto trans fluid into each plug hole then put a socket on the main pulley nut with a 2' breaker bar and a hyd jack lifting the end of the bar. Leave it there for a week and see if things start to come loose.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
jiw1

hay guys,thank you for the welcome party.i like the feeling knowing that there are others with the same craziness.my daughter-in-law thinks i'm crazy but my dr.beat her to it.i tell her the dr.gave me papers to prove that i am.ken,i am near old route 66.mark,is there a still a place i can get the pressure plate rebuilt? alan,mark and lonnie i had filled the crankcase and cyls with tranny fluid till it leaked out the exhaust manifold,did this last summer.i am thinking of making some plugs after removing the rotted manifolds so i could pour tranny fluid into the valve train valley.the man i got the truck from said he drove the truck into the barn in 1971.i can now turn the crank just a tad so your idea with the jack or rocking it back and forth might work.it is worth the try.i'll let you all know what happens.thanks again,john
Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The 11 inch clutch equipped trucks have a cast iron half bell bolted to the back. I send all my clutch work to Ft Wayne Clutch. They do excellent work and turn around is fast.

I have an engine from a truck that the farmer tried to break loose by dragging it with a tractor. It didn't work. The valves were stuck so hard that the cam forced one of the followers plumb up onto the valve stem until it broke the cam shaft. That engine was a b!tch to get apart but I was successful. If you want to break it free keep this in mind. I would minimum pull the heads & manifold to check the valves and cylinders. This will aid in freeing things up and/or confirm further processes depending on the condition of things in there. All it will cost is head & manifold gaskets if things are not in too bad a condition.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-07-2014 at 12:32 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
jiw1

rotorwrench,thank you.yes i agree,most likely condensation has creeped inbetweenthe valve stems and guides not allowing anything to turn.it is really to cold for me to do major work so thinking blocking the exhaust ports and oil check tube not to leek and fill the engine from bottom to top surrounding the valve train to let set till spring.then see if it will break loose.do you think it will help?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I'm too impatient to wait several weeks. I'd have those heads & manifold off pretty quick where you can get to those stems & start squirting them with ATF & acetone or what ever your choice of panther piss is then work them till they free up. If the cylinders aren't too rusty, you can clean them out & put some panther piss in them too. Marvel Mystery Oil also works good to soften hard carbon in stuck piston rings.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
jiw1

hey guys,it was a bit warmer yesterday,about 36*and rotorwrench shammed me into getting under that old truck and start pulling&pushing till i got the stuck EAB to move a little more then a smiggen(famous word) got tired of that and hocked up a 12 v battery and tapped the starter button a few times the old flatty turned over.i felt that tingle down my spine like i get when i hear the star spangled banner.after turning a few more times i seen a spark jump from the starter solenoid then nothing when i push the starter button.could i have burned up the solenoid with the 12 v battery?when using a 12v battery will i need a 12 v soleniod?it was a good day but bad things happened.any ideas?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
gearhead1952

These trucks were 6V pos ground originally. Unless it has been converted to 12V probably burned up the solenoid. The starter can take 12V ok.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote