Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
nospartsman
BANNED

Default Re: Result of no self control at an auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117harv View Post
I like to see this type of thing, getting parts to those who need them and out of dusty storage, thanks for the pics.
When you die it acts as motivation to get rid of your stuff.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
BoxCar Tom

What is of the greatest value in the pile?

Value per pound? Probably the 32 tudor roof tack strip would come in first, the 32 open car dashboard should be 1st but it looks like it was modified for a Chrysler instrument panel.

Face it, nobody drives a 32 Ford in heaven, it only happens in your dreams.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #23
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
This is what happens when you attend an auction and have no self control, and $14000 dollars. The highlights are: NOS 32 front crossmember, 3 sets 1934 3 window moldings, two 33-34 coupe back window moldings, 32 gas tank, two 32 frames,32 roadster dash, nice floor section from 34 2dr body, 33-34 3 window roof tack strip, 32 2dr roof tack strip, 34 hood, several 32 hood sides, 2 33-34 trunk handles, 40 coupe headliner bows, New oak wood for 32-24 bodies, 32 3 window seat, 2 32 big beam axles, 2 dropped axles, Eddie Meyer head, 33 and 34 inner fenders. This all was from the estate auction of Don Broyles lifetime collector and builder of 1932-34 Fords from Dayton, Oh. I am surprised it wasn't mentioned on Ford Barn afterward, I know why no one mentioned it before the auction. There was not a large crowd considering the numerous rare 32-34 parts.
I am thrilled to see that there is such a great interest in 32-34 parts!!!
I am new to cars with my recent purchase of a 1933 model B fordor.
I used to collect and repair antique pocket watches.
I learned after several purchases that to buy a working pocket watch is half the price of buying a broken one and then trying to get the parts and paying extreme prices for the parts. items look cheaper in pieces but after you add everything up you plat a fortune for a ton of parts and still don;t have a complete item?
But you are the NOSpartsman
Good luck with your new inventory...
Maybe I will have to purchase something from you some day!

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-06-2014 at 12:16 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #24
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
You did very well.
Yes this is true but it's not a vehicle revived to be driven another day but purchased for resale, I think this hobbie is for resurrecting and get automobiles running!)
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford

Last edited by Gumpy; 11-10-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: sp
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
nospartsman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
Yes this is true but it's not a vehicle revived to be driven another day but purchased to re sale for profit, I think this hobbie is for resurrecting and get running automobiles!
Mr Gumpy, So if I understand your comment correctly, profit is a bad thing when related to antique auto parts. In the 39 years I've been doing this I have run into a few, very few, collectors with your perspective. Restoring a antique car is a noble task and parts should be free or at minimal cost. What about Drake reproduction parts, is profit OK for him? (I sell him a lot of samples, his profit filters down to me). What you don't realize is that because of guys like me, guys like you benefit from my efforts, you don't have go to an auction in Ohio to end up with one of the rare parts sent to California. There are places on this planet where profit is prohibited, less and less all the time. So Comrade Gumpy when it comes time that your wife has to sell your car and parts, remind her to give away the parts and sell the car for what you paid. Also forgot to mention the Church building you worship in was built by a builder for profit. You might want to read Adam Smith and Milton Friedman.

Last edited by nospartsman; 11-08-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
Carl

...my son and I were at the Slack auction. I bought a few things early and noticed a lot of activity in back behind fence; people grabbing and loading stuff. I told my son what I suspected was going on and he went back to secure my stuff, some of which was already stolen. One guy caught another switching tags on 32 runningboards. My son stepped between them and kept them from killing each other. After that, as I won something, I paid for it and my son secured it. Too bad, there are dishonest car people out there...
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #27
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
Mr Gumpy, So if I understand your comment correctly, profit is a bad thing when related to antique auto parts. In the 39 years I've been doing this I have run into a few, very few, collectors with your perspective. Restoring a antique car is a noble task and parts should be free or at minimal cost. What about Drake reproduction parts, is profit OK for him? (I sell him a lot of samples, his profit filters down to me). What you don't realize is that because of guys like me, guys like you benefit from my efforts, you don't have go to an auction in Ohio to end up with one of the rare parts sent to California. There are places on this planet where profit is prohibited, less and less all the time. So Comrade Gumpy when it comes time that your wife has to sell your car and parts, remind her to give away the parts and sell the car for what you paid. Also forgot to mention the Church building you worship in was built by a builder for profit. You might want to read Adam Smith and Milton Friedman.
That was pretty much the same as came to my mind. Does that make owning a '40 Ford coupe an entitlement ?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
Gumpy

Barnfinds comment about you did very well...my comment underneath that comment was "this is true"....,,,this forum is to help one another not for anything else, I can see your relatively new....Good luck with you sales..
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford

Last edited by Gumpy; 11-10-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #29
gearhead1952

Quote:
Barnfinds comment about you did very well...my comment underneath that comment was "this is true"....,,,this forum is to help one another not for anything else, I can see your relatively new....Good luck with you sales..
I have to disagree with you. I see this forum as an aid to actively enjoying old Fords. Buying and selling parts is one way to enjoy being involved in the hobby. We need people that collect parts and answer wanted ads just as much as we need the knowledge that is passed on via threads in general discussion. Good luck partsman and nice score.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #30
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

The philosophy is simple - if you think it's too expensive then don't buy it.
The law of supply and demand will usually even things out.
Leaving your money in a bank is fine but inflation will eat away at it.
The cars that I presently own are the ones I wanted when I was 19, but couldn't afford them.
None of them are finished yet, but I get a deal of pleasure just by having them.
At the moment the shed is full and the bank is empty.
When the big day comes the kids can dispose of them as they wish.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #31
aussiesteve

Quote:
Yes this is true but it's not a vehicle revived to be driven another day but purchased for resale, I think this hobbie is for resurrecting and get automobiles running!)
By your logic then,there should be no classifieds on the Fordbarn as some people might be profiting.
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #32
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1952 View Post
I have to disagree with you. I see this forum as an aid to actively enjoying old Fords. Buying and selling parts is one way to enjoy being involved in the hobby. We need people that collect parts and answer wanted ads just as much as we need the knowledge that is passed on via threads in general discussion. Good luck partsman and nice score.
I absolutely agree.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #33
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
The philosophy is simple - if you think it's too expensive then don't buy it.
The law of supply and demand will usually even things out.
Leaving your money in a bank is fine but inflation will eat away at it.
The cars that I presently own are the ones I wanted when I was 19, but couldn't afford them.
None of them are finished yet, but I get a deal of pleasure just by having them.
At the moment the shed is full and the bank is empty.
When the big day comes the kids can dispose of them as they wish.
Chris.NZ.
You have a good point there Chris.....thank you
Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #34
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Result of no self control at an auction

Good time of the year to buy ...

Most folks already spent their money & have their winter projects lined up ...

Nice Score ...

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #35
funrunr

I recently bought the contents of a falling down barn including 4 1940's I only wanted one but the seller said all or none! I'm selling the parts slowly and looks as though I don't have to sell the Tudor I originally wanted. Buying all these parts is a big gamble and your money is tied up long amounts of time. If you can make a profit it usually won't be a huge one unless you sit on the parts a loooong tiiiime! These parts I sell will offset the cost of my build and I'm making good friends along the way. Good for you NOSpartsman it's a gamble when you will get your money back and thank you for supporting our hobby.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #36
nospartsman
BANNED

One more photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (84.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #37
al's28/33

Great to see and hear.....spread the wealth and keep interest in the hobby!

WELL DONE!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #38
Bored&Stroked

Do you happen to have a 34 5 window tack strip? I need one badly. If I can take a 3 window and cut-splice it, no problem . . . let me know!

Thanks and a great haul.

Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #39
nospartsman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Do you happen to have a 34 5 window tack strip? I need one badly. If I can take a 3 window and cut-splice it, no problem . . . let me know!

Thanks and a great haul.

Dale
Sorry I had a 1933-34 three window tack strip but it has been sold.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #40
Gumpy

Arrow Re: Result of no self control at an auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

Thanks and a great haul.

Dale

Dale if one of these were to be purchased
What would it cost? Thx Gump