Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
dmsfrr

Default Y-block & stainless steel bolts?

I'm about to start on final reassembly of a y-block engine. Several of the bolts around the water pump and a couple others for the timing cover/motor mount are fairly corroded and I'd like to replace them all.

What is your opinion on getting replacements. I'd rather not size/length match them for the cheap imported ones at the hardware store.
I could probably find another engine to borrow them from, but they'd be just another used set.

There's an outfit on epay that sells a set of new stainless steel bolts for mounting all the outside parts onto the block. Are the stainless ones better around the water pump or exhaust ports than regular steel bolts?
Is there a reason I'm missing that I should or shouldn't get a set of the stainless ones?
Thanks.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-09-2014 at 10:33 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Y-block & stainless steel bolts?

I bought two sets, for two differmt Y block. Used anti-seize. I've got the bird motor down to a bare block, no corrosion on the bolts, the aluminum parts, or the iron. They're fine for brackets, timing cover, etc. Headbolts, mains, rods, etc. I stay with known brands. Usually ARP. I use their header bolts, also.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
bobss396

I see nothing wrong with the stainless steel bolts. I use them here and there myself, while they are not up to a grade-5 strength wise, you'd be okay for what you intend to use them for. Anything that passes through a water jacket, dip it in something like Indian Head shellac so it won't weep coolant.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I'm about to start on final reassembly of a y-block engine. Several of the bolts around the water pump and a couple others for the timing cover/motor mount are fairly corroded and I'd like to replace them all.

What is your opinion on getting replacements. I'd rather not size/length match them for the cheap imported ones at the hardware store.
I could probably find another engine to borrow them from, but they'd be just another used set.

There's an outfit on epay that sells a set of new stainless steel bolts for mounting all the outside parts onto the block. Are the stainless ones better around the water pump or exhaust ports than regular steel bolts?
Is there a reason I'm missing that I should or shouldn't get a set of the stainless ones?
Thanks.
Stainless bolts are normally around grade #2 unless specified different. These are fine for items that don't require much clamping force, but cadmium plated grade #5 is a much better choice for engine accessories like water pumps, front covers, intakes, exhaust etc. You can always add chrome nut covers if you want them "pretty".
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
tdlmomowers

Personally, I only buy grade 8 fasteners, if they are available.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
bobss396

Stainless fasteners (alloy 18-8) are rated around 75 ksi. They should be fine for anything that is not structural.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
paul2748

I bought a set of stainless engine bolts off ebay (some time ago so don't know who the vendor was) and they have worked fine for the 7 years they have been on the car and I use the car a lot.

Okay for everything except the heavy duty stuff like rod and main bolts, front end and other high stress applications.

However, Totally Stainless has what they call high strength stainless. They also have engine kits.

800-767-4781
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
miker98038

Mine are all marked grade 5. I think they were Totally Stainless.

Please excuse me for going slightly OT. A few years ago, I bought some 1/4-20 bolts and nuts for a boat application at a big box store. As I put them together, they were "loose", as in the bolts were small, or the nuts were big. I went down to the marine store, paid twice as much, and they seemed "tight". I don't want to name any country, but if you're building a billion of them, you save a lot of stainless by working the outside of the specs.

I've also used SS in high corrosive areas (acid and caustic), and the cheap ones rust. There's different grades of stainless. You sometimes get what you pay for.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
bobss396

Regular stainless are an 18-8 composition, 18% chrome and 8% nickel, aka 304 stainless. There is also 316 alloy which is almost always used in harsher environments and expensive.

The Ace Hardware by me has a good stainless selection and is 1/2 the price of West Marine. I always check the fit between the nut and bolts, agreed that the offshore ones tend to be pretty crappy.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
dmsfrr

This is all very helpful information.
I knew I asked the right folks.
Thanks much, I appreciate it.

Dennis
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
RooDog

I use ARP, let me say that again ARP brand stainless fasteners on particular stressfull points on my Harley and FORD engines, both in six and twelve point flavors. I also use ACE Hardware small stainless screws, nuts & washers for interior trim, not highly stressed, in all cases use anti-seize or you may have problems on dissassembly. Beware the no-name offshore pieces. Look closely at what you are buying, the appearance is an indicator of quality to some degree....If it has cut threads and looks like crap, it probably is. Another clue: Sstandard American threads (more or less) + metric head size = NFG.....Best wishes.....RooDog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00084.jpg (85.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00086.jpg (76.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00087.jpg (91.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00088.jpg (27.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00089.jpg (95.9 KB, 2 views)
RooDog is offline   Reply With Quote