Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
bsky59

Default anti freeze catch bottle

can i put a overflow antifreeze bottle on my 59 352,or should i have the rad cap
tested to make sure it is holding pressure (14lb)? im afraid to go any higher than the reccommed cap pressure because of the unknown age of the radiator
bsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: anti freeze catch bottle

I'd do both, it won't hurt. A friendly parts counter person could check your cap for free, and you can use any overflow bottle you like that fits.
You can buy a fancy one, or temporarily make your own out of any plastic bottle that's bigger than 1 quart to see if it solves your problem. (anti-freeze jug, 2 liter soda bottle?)
DIY - Cut a hole in the bottle cap just big enough for the overflow tube & push the tube to the bottom of the bottle and fasten it all vertically to the side of the radiator or someplace close but out of the way.
If your current overflow tube is metal all the way to the bottom of the radiator just slip a snug rubber hose over the end and run it back up to the bottle cap & down to the bottom of your overflow bottle. The next time it spits out antifreeze it will take care of itself. (see RooDog's post below)

If the cap and thermostat are ok and your cooling system is consistently blowing out more antifreeze than it used to it's probably time to flush it out really good and maybe get the radiator cleaned too.

Assuming your radiator cap is directly on top of the radiator, the easiest/fastest way to check the thermostat is (carefully) take the cap off when the engine is just getting warm, not hot, and look for a good flow of coolant inside when it's up to operating temp. You'll also be able to see the tops of some of the radiator tubes. If any have crud in them that's a big clue.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-07-2014 at 06:12 PM.
dmsfrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
JeffB2

The universal ones at the Auto parts stores made of plastic "made in China" are junk and don't last long,this worked well for me and the price is right:http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...aspx?Item=6323
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
RooDog

An older style cap won't work for a recovery system. You'll need a late '70's style cap for whatever pressure you like. You can look at this older posting for some more info on the subject....RooDog

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=roodog
RooDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooDog View Post
An older style cap won't work for a recovery system. You'll need a late '70's style cap for whatever pressure you like. You can look at this older posting for some more info on the subject....RooDog

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=roodog
I learned something today, Thanks RooDog.
bsky59 As RooDog said, get a newer style cap (not expensive) to have a recovery system work, or just use a bottle to catch the overflow and pour it back in when the engine cools down.
If you top off the radiator with the engine cold it will spit out some because the coolant expands when heated as the engine gets to operating temperature.
After a few heat/cool cycles it shouldn't overflow more than just a little bit, if anything, unless there's some sort of problem.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
paul2748

I've used he kind that Jeff used in two cars and never had a problem with them.

One is on my 48 Conv (302, C4) that always peed out of the
radiator. I put one of these units on and never had a problem since.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
tdlmomowers

I installed a coolant recovery reservoir on my 69 Torino. I mounted it on the front of the radiator core support, and ran a hose from the overflow tube to the bottom of the reservoir. After driving the car for a half hour or so, there will be about a pint of coolant in the reservoir. After the engine cools off, the coolant in the reservoir will return to the radiator. My car has a 192 degree thermostat and will run all day at 185 degrees on a 80 degree day. I got my coolant reservoir at Napa.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
RooDog

Fellas...
I found this on the interweb:

Radiator caps are relatively simple in appearance but they are extremely important components of the engine cooling system. Like radiators and other cooling system parts they are exposed to harsh environments while functioning relatively maintenance free for several years and many miles of service. But the metal, plastic, and especially the rubber materials in radiator caps will deteriorate or become contaminated over time. Therefore, radiator caps should always be inspected and tested carefully whenever performing cooling system maintenance.

The radiator pressure cap serves five important functions in the cooling system.

Filler cap to access the cooling system
Closure cap to keep coolant in the radiator
Pressure cap to prevent overheating by maintaining system pressure to raise the boiling temperature of the coolant thereby allowing the engine to operate at more efficient higher temperatures. The higher operating pressures also provide a margin of safety at the water pump inlet to prevent damaging cavitation which can lead to loss of coolant circulation and/or pump impeller erosion.
Pressure relief valve to safely and harmlessly vent excess coolant and air into the overflow reservoir as the coolant expands when it is heated. By preventing excessive internal pressure it protects the radiator and other cooling system components. The pressure relief valve functions in conjunction with the vacuum relief valve to facilitate the removal of air from the cooling system after the initial factory fill and after cooling system service. Entrained air needs must be purged from the cooling system to maximize cooling performance and to control internal corrosion of the engine and the radiator.
Vacuum relief/siphon valve to allow coolant to return from the overflow reservoir back into the radiator. When the coolant in the hot system returns to ambient temperature it contracts creating a vacuum which draws coolant back through the valve and into the system from the overflow reservoir.
There are several components in the radiator cap that must work in harmony for the cap to function properly. The parts in a conventional radiator cap are illustrated in the diagram shown below.

Two of the most important components are the two elastomeric seals (gaskets) that mate with features in the radiator filler neck to either contain the coolant under pressure or direct coolant to and from the overflow reservoir. The lower gasket provides a seal between the pressure valve and the radiator filler neck and also between the radiator cap vacuum valve and the pressure valve. The upper seal assures that pressurized coolant is directed through the overflow tube on the filler neck when it is released past the lower seal. If either of these seals are compromised due to age or by corrosion product contamination then the 5 radiator caps functions noted above will be affected.

While the radiator cap is a relatively inexpensive component of the cooling system its proper operations is critical to the efficient and reliable operation of the entire power train system. Most service experts believe that replacing the old radiator cap is inexpensive insurance when performing cooling system maintenance and always recommend a new cap whenever a new radiator is installed. At a minimum the cap should be inspected and tested for proper sealing and pressure release functions when a new radiator is installed and when the coolant is changed.

Some of the domestic and foreign original equipment manufacturers are now choosing caps made of plastic components over the more conventional caps made from stamped metal components. But regardless of the design, all caps use elastomeric seals which are subject to aging from heat, chemical, and ozone exposure. So while the plastic parts may still look good, the working components may have past their useful life expectancy and the cap assembly should be replaced. Again, inspect and test, or install a new cap as cheap insurance when performing routine maintenance or repairs.

Look for more application information and service tips about radiator caps in our next installment of “Keeping it Cool Tech Tips”.

I also have some pics. Take a look....RooDog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030787.jpg (47.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg radcap1.jpg (31.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg scan_pic0002.jpg (45.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
dmsfrr

That's good stuff to know! Thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
RooDog

You Becha!