Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
willowbilly3

Default Pics of my home made 2x2

I thought you guys night like to see my homebrew 2x2 intake on my 260. I used 2 stock 1963 2100 carbs, .98 venturis. Lower is from an 88 302. I machined the dividers down as far as I could and blended them in with a porting grinder. Also had to close up the coolant ports a little because they hung over the ends of the 260 heads. I used those old cooland spacers for lack of anything else laying around and at one time planned on plumbing them in but decided against a bunch of ugly heater hoses running all over. It actually works pretty good, a little cold blooded with no carb heat but runs great when it's warmed up. I've tidied up the wiring since this photo.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 10-17-2014 at 03:28 AM.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
willowbilly3

Default Re: Pics of my home made 2x2

OOps, just noticed I put this in early V8. Mods, if you see this would you move it. sorry.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
y'sguy

Sweet, nice bunch of home brew engineering. I like it.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
scicala

Nice Job ! With the .98 venturi's you probably have about a total of 400 CFM or slightly less. Good for a street 260.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
RooDog

Wow!!.....That's just Too Kool for Skool!!....I love it, really..... Back then, just out of high school, I took an adult machine shop class at the local Vo-Tech. Decided to make me a Four Barrel intake for my '48 Merc Flatty in a '37 Flat Back. I cut a piece of 3/4" cold rolled plate to match a 4v gasket. Milled the top off a stock cast iron 2V intake and began to braze the two together......What a FUBAR. Lots of heat and brass. Hours later after it cooled it warped, drew tight on top and rocked like a barrel stave, Y'all know what that is, right?.....So this aluminum piece, milled and bolted together is just NICE....Glad it works for you.....Best wishes....RooDog....
RooDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
willowbilly3

I made the plate just using a drill press. The big holes were done with a hole saw. At the time, all you could buy was a 2x4 intake and that's just too much for a stock small block. There were a few very rare 3x2 manifolds made but I think there might be new ones now. This hotrod just needed more than one carb. Necessity is the mother of invention. Here's a couple pictures of the hotrod it's on. Lake Bonneville 2014

Last edited by willowbilly3; 10-18-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
scicala

Looks like a fun car ! People probably think it has dual quads until they get close.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Looks like a fun car ! People probably think it has dual quads until they get close.
Hell, most people don't even notice stuff like that. I've never had one person who looked at the car ask me about the set up. They want to know what the car is and I tell them I built it, then it's "yeah but from what". Well from 42 Fords, 5 chevys, a combine, a baler and a harley golf cart, a polaris snowmobile and some other stuff I lost track of. "oh"
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
Hell, most people don't even notice stuff like that. I've never had one person who looked at the car ask me about the set up. They want to know what the car is and I tell them I built it, then it's "yeah but from what". Well from 42 Fords, 5 chevys, a combine, a baler and a harley golf cart, a polaris snowmobile and some other stuff I lost track of. "oh"

Heck, I would have been checking out the engine if I saw it. Would have my nose prints all over it.