Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Ford20

Smile My 1920 T Ford Project

Lots of work to do, but keen to start!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 13.jpg (61.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (56.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pic 6.jpg (42.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg pic 12.jpg (64.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg pic 14.jpg (57.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg pic 20.jpg (73.9 KB, 55 views)
Ford20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Ab4875

Default Re: My 1920 T Ford Project

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for putting up the photos.

Looks like a bit of work. Does the engine turn over?

Andrew
Ab4875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
DanJohnston

Geoff, my 23 was in pieces 26 years ago when I purchased it. Seeing your pics reminded me of all the good people I have met over the years. I was able to put it together and drive in a parade 30 days after I bought it. I did this at the suggestion of an old friend (now gone). I have been taking it apart and putting it back together every since. It makes a complete restoration damned near impossible but at least you know where your essential parts are! Good Luck, Have Fun! Dan Johnston Ph #: 701-200-2319, Fargo ND
DanJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Ford20

Hello Andrew, No, the motor will need to be striped down and checked, most likely have to be rebuilt.

I'm not too worried about that as I have organized with another new friend to purchase a "wet" T Ford motor, this one will run with a bit of maintenance. I was planning on getting my T ford up and running around on shed tires while I restore it.

Being on a pension is a bit of a bummer, can't do full time work because of too many injuries from too much "Hard Yakka" when I was on the tools as a carpenter, so I have to spread the pennies. Still, I like to keep active and my vintage car hobby has always been my passion and keeps me out of mischief, Ha! Ha!
Great talking to you,
Cheers,
Geoff

Last edited by Ford20; 08-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Ford20

Hello Dan Johnson, Thank you for your reply and interest. Yes , I decided to go a similar way as time flies by too fast and I'm in the middle of another restoration but wanted to start on the T Ford as well.

I'm a Gemini star sign and like to be doing more than one project at a time. If things aren't going to plan on one project, (party's getting rough, as I call it, and patience has run out), Ha! Ha! I leave that one and go work on another and by the time I come back, then things seem to go better, well that's my theory anyway, Ha! Ha!

My first restoration was a 1923 T ford Tourer in the early 70's and I had the chassis completely restored but had to part with it to do more work on my house, I'm sure we've all been there.

I sold my T Ford to Mark Herdman, the same person who I got my latest T Ford Project from, we've been friends ever since and he's been a great mate.

Ironically the 2 rear wheels on this project came off my Original T Ford Tourer, talk about "Karma". I must have done a good job as all I have to do is repaint them, so I've already started so that's cool.

It's been nice talking to you Dan,
Cheers from DownUnder,
Geoff
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
15max

That's a great place to start. Enjoy the project. You might check the motor number. It looks like a pre-starter block which would be earlier than 1920.
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
Steve Jelf

That's right, the engine is very early 1919 model year or before (non-starter). The serial number can pin it down more precisely. But the frame has a battery carrier, which means it originally had a starter engine (later 1919 or after). The front motor mount is 1920 or earlier. The front springs are 1916-1927. The front perches and under-axle wishbone are 1919-1927. After ninety years and more, it's a rare Model T that has all its original parts. Unless somebody has made a deliberate effort to put things back to "correct", most of them have a mixture of parts from different years.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Ford20

Hi 15max and Steve Jelf, sat here for 10 minutes typing a reply and when I went to post it, it wouldn't let me post, said I was not signed in, but I was, lost the lot, so will respond to you both later,
Cheers from DownUnder,
Geoff
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #9
Ford20

Smile Re: My 1920 T Ford Project

Hi All, I'm having trouble responding to posts, I assume I'm doing something wrong so until I figure out what, then then I'll try to answer everyone as best I can in this one post, so please bear with me.

My friend basically put this car together out of his spare parts so it's not an original car that came in one piece. He's gone to a lot of trouble to make my 1920 T Ford Project as authentic as possible and I'm happy with that.

The engine doesn't run, but I have arranged to get a 1924 T Ford engine that is intact and complete and which with a little bit of work, will run.

I'm going to install that so that I can practice driving as I've never driven a T before and from what I've read it sounds a bit tricky.

I've checked the Engine No of the one that's in my T at the moment and it is C234967 which I'm assuming came from a Canada factory. If anyone can shed any light or information if this is correct, I'd be most grateful.

I'm always on ebay USA and I can' believe how lucky you guys are over there with all the early T ford cars that come out of barns and are so intact and in such good condition for their age. I can't help but "drool" over them.

I'll try to post this now and see how I go, meanwhile, have a Great Day to all,
Cheers from DownUnder,
Geoff
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
fordman67

So what body style will it end up?or is it more speedster?
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
Ford20

Hello Fordman67, Not sure at the moment, I will restore the running chassis and see what bodywork I can round up. Ideally I would love to import a 1919-1920 Coupe body as I have always loved them but will have to sell a few items first.

Meanwhile I will try to source a restorable body over here for the time being and source a coupe body then, hopefully.
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
fordman67

Very cool. I wonder if the fella with bodies still sells them around here out of wisconsin?
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Ford20

Hello fordman67, I must admit that I envy you guys over there in the USA, you have so many amazing barn find of all makes, we don't get anything like that over here.

Just waiting on lotto to make my dreams come true, but not holding my breath, Ha! Ha!
Cheers,
Geoff