Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Russell in Tulsa

Default Old gas stains on glass, how to remove.

I was surfing through the older posts on the Barn and saw a similar question asked. I was working on my '30 coupe about a year ago and the glass sediment bowl was orange from old gasoline stains. I removed it and scrubbed it with gas, wd40 and hand cleaner and wasn't amused. I was ready to forget it and happened to look on a shelf nearby and saw an OLD metal quart can with the really small screw on lid like many products came in back in the day and thought I'd try it, as the can said, Paint and Varnish Remover. A small amount on a paper towel and by running it around the inside of the bowl one time the glass looked brand new.
Don't know if the paint stores still sell this product or not, can't recall the name, but it worked great.
It removed the varnish as advertised but I think they may have been talking about that "other" varnish.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Old gas stains on glass, how to remove.

Most of the time gas and a rag will remove the stains for me. If not, then fine steel wool and gas do the trick.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Craig Lewis

I always reach for cut polish or rubbing compound when I have stains on glass (the same stuff for polishing up old dull auto paint)
Works fast to remove hard water deposits (water rings) from windows...leaving them silky smooth and easier to keep clean.

Farecla G6 polish has worked the best so far.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
darrylkmc

Russell in Tulsa,

I have had great results using Sodium Hydroxide, Red Devil Lye, in a small Plastic or Glass container with some warm water and let it sit for a couple of days.

DO NOT Place in an Aluminium Container or allow to contact Aluminium.

Read the Warnings.

Rinse with clean water when you are finished.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Darryl,
Chief & I completely stripped about 6 coats of paint from my '34 Chev. Coupe & it made the weathered rubber body moldings look almost new! I forgot what we used to neutralize the LYE?? (Anyone know?) We mixed it with water in a 5 Gal. bucket & swabbed it on with old straw brooms. Bill W.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Russell,

Water based POR 15 Marine Clean sold at Snyder's will thoroughly emulsify & clean "any" petroleum based product on glass, pot metal carburetors, porous cast iron, porous concrete, all metals both ferrous & non-ferrous, insides & outsides of radiators, or any other surface coated with heavy hardened grease, gasoline varnish, or oil.

Even cleans better than Carburetor Cleaner for insides of carburetors coated with black tar looking goo from ethanol dissolved Model A gas tank sealer.

Containers of this concentrated product goes long way after following directions for mixing with water -- mixing with domestic hot water works twice as fast.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-13-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Skeezixx

As an old optical lab technician, the way we used to fine and polish glass was with different grades of emery and polish it with a slurry of cerium oxide all of which can be gotten from a lapidary supply.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

I wash them in the kitchen sink with dish washing soap and a copper stranded pad,why all the fancy chemicles.Come squeeky cleen with a little elbow grease. lol ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
CarlG

Lacquer thinner or MEK. Or do like Ken says, dishwashing soap. It's also amazing what just regular old laundry powders will do.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
afuncar

I have used the liquid from orange hand cleaner ,I think it's a citric acid, removed stains and material other cleaners wouldn't touch.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
dr.j

afuncar,
hate to sound like laundry lady however the orange hand cleaner will remove just about every oil and grease stain from your favourite sweat shirt or pair of jeans. Just rub a liberal amount of the orange hand cleaner into the stain and throw it into the laundry basket for the next wash day. It really cleans grease and oil from clothing better than any product my wife has found.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
QGolden

I'm with Craig, compound. I use Dupont No. 7.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j View Post
afuncar,
hate to sound like laundry lady however the orange hand cleaner will remove just about every oil and grease stain from your favourite sweat shirt or pair of jeans. Just rub a liberal amount of the orange hand cleaner into the stain and throw it into the laundry basket for the next wash day. It really cleans grease and oil from clothing better than any product my wife has found.
Yo, Dr. J,
When I sometimes relate an "amazing" fact/technique/etc, to Gregg, he say's, "Whar'd you lurn that"???----"On Ford Barn, of course"!!! Bill W.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
theHIGHLANDER

If the stains are mixture of old gas and iron sediment, you can't do better than an overnight soak in metal-prep. Headlight lenses, sediment bowls, tail lamp lenses, all will come out looking NOS. The only caution I offer is to remove them over a well padded area as they can be quite slippery when 1st removed. I had a lovely pair of rare Packard headlight lenses that had some stubborn rust in the bottom and all around the edge. After a night in a shallow tray of metal-prep, You'd have though they were brand new. Even the stubborn dirt and grime that takes a lot of effort to remove, GONE. I clean all of the glass parts this way and have been since the late 80s. You might be amazed at how well it works.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote