Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Snyder or Thomas head

The Snyder 6:1 cast iron head is offered for $325.00 . The Thomas aluminum 6:7 head is offered for $525.00 . There is a $200.00 difference in price . I don't think that a price has yet been mentioned for the new Winfield cast iron head that is in the works now. It is my understanding that the cast iron winfield will be offered in both 6:1 and 7:1 compression ratios with two different variations in the combustion chambers.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-05-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyenglish View Post
Ok, well thanks to all the comments, il have a think about which to go for (at this moment really not sure still) and also find out shipping charges and go from there.
Hey Jonny

A little closer to home you could give Gary at Belcher Engineering a call - they are near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. He's usually got a few speed parts in stock. The number is 01379 890913

Cheers

Juggs
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Jonnyenglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
Hey Jonny

A little closer to home you could give Gary at Belcher Engineering a call - they are near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. He's usually got a few speed parts in stock. The number is 01379 890913

Cheers

Juggs
Excellent thankyou Juggs, I will do that in the morning. Wow Arizona and Bath, sounds good!
Jonnyenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
Juggler

Quote:
Wow Arizona and Bath, sounds good!
Best of both worlds maybe

Their close ratio gear sets are worth checking out also

http://www.belcherengineering.co.uk/...tion/index.php
Old 10-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The Snyder 6:1 cast iron head is offered for $325.00 . The Thomas aluminum 6:7 head is offered for $525.00 . There is a $200.00 difference in price . I don't think that a price has yet been mentioned for the new Winfield cast iron head that is in the works now. It is my understanding that the cast iron winfield will be offered in both 6:1 and 7:1 compression ratios with two different variations in the combustion chambers.
I'm looking at the $400.00 range.

As for the Thomas heads, I have 65 new castings in the shop to machine for Snyder. The only part I play in that product is machining them. I also machine the intakes mentioned in this thread.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Juggler

Really looking forward to the new Winfields Tod

Can I have number 1?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
pcup

BRENT, I'M NOT ABLE TO BRING PRIOR COMENTS BY CARL G, WHO ARE U REFERING TO AS [BILL] AND WHICH HEAD. I'M IN So Cal JUST RETURNED FROM COLORADO AND THE "C" HEAD JUST DIDN'T CUT IT AFTER 6 K ELEVATION. I WILL MOVE THERE SHORTLY SO I ALSO WILL NEED ANOTHER HEAD.
PCUP
pcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
southfork

Just as a point of reference, what is the compression ration on the original Ford Model B cast iron head? Also the original Model A cast iron head? Also, What do used Model B heads typically sell for?

As mentioned in another thread recently, I picked up a cast iron head that appears to have smaller combustion chambers, compared to Ford Model A cast iron heads. Anybody have any idea what it is? It has USA cast into the top center of the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-015S.JPG (43.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-017S.JPG (44.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-018S.JPG (44.8 KB, 95 views)
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #29
southfork

Here's a comparison of the combustion chambers of the two heads pictured above. What are they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-019S.JPG (44.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
Purdy Swoft

The original Model B head used a three bolt water pump, had a large letter C embossed in the top near the distributor and used the improved heart shaped combustion chamber with a compression ratio of 4.6:1 . The original model A head had a compression ratio of 4.2:1. There was a model A head with normal water pump, A large letter B embossed near the distributor with a compression ratio of 5.2:1 This head is often reffered to as the police head.

The heads pictured show that the top picture appears to be the standard 4.2:1 compression. The bottom picture shows the heart shaped combustion chamber. This is an aftermarket replacement and probably has a ratio , anywhere from 5.2 to 6.1 Its impossible to say for sure withoun measuring the CCs in the combustion chambers
Old 10-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
southfork

I appreciate that comprehensive information about Ford cast iron heads, Purdy. That aftermarket head and the Model A head were part of a stash of Model A and Model T heads that some lady dumped off at the local iron recycling yard a while back. Fortunately, I was there to intercept them.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #32
Purdy Swoft

Good find !!! The head with the heart shaped combustion chamber will make a noticable improvement in power and hill climbing ability .
Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #33
hotrodalley

I have had really good luck with the Thomas head. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and enjoy the extra performance. I have learned to manually adjust the timing as I am running a stock distributor. Someday I might spring for a centrifugal advance setup, but I'm ok for now. I have a Snyder 5.5 on one of my other cars, and it is ok, but there is just something about the looks of the Thomas head - especially with dual downdraft carbs.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
southfork

Hotrodalley, Doesn't the Model B distributor have the centrifugal advance? There should be quite a few of them around, I would think, and that's just about a drop in.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #35
Jonnyenglish

Right, someone on a Uk forum says "go for a winfield" so I searched and reds headers comes up with an aluminium head, is there a iron head avaliable to buy now as I cant find by searching? Any ideas? I understand they are in the pipeline as talked about above but just want a bit more info please.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
hardtimes

Quote:
Right, someone on a Uk forum says "go for a winfield" so I searched and reds headers comes up with an aluminium head, is there a iron head avaliable to buy now as I cant find by searching? Any ideas? I understand they are in the pipeline as talked about above but just want a bit more info please.
As said in my comment above, contact a member here...Tod for information. It is my understanding that WHEN he makes his cast iron Winfield head replacements, that he will make combustion ratios that suit most anyone. So, you get on his 'list' (good thing,eh ) you let him know what c/r you want. IMO, is worth waiting for, as I have a nice alum Super Winfield, but want iron of proper c/r. As to reason...a friend of Winfield told me that Winfield said something to the effect that iron makes power and alum is for cooking/looks ! I think that I understand this, a bit, and am patiently waiting for Tod !!

BTW...I also mentioned the IRON Lion Speed Head 111 , as an available iron head..if you can not wait. I think that the current edition MAY be a IV now ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-06-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: ,,,,,,,,,,,
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #37
Jonnyenglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
As said in my comment above, contact a member here...Tod for information. It is my understanding that WHEN he makes his cast iron Winfield head replacements, that he will make combustion ratios that suit most anyone. So, you get on his 'list' (good thing,eh ) you let him know what c/r you want. IMO, is worth waiting for, as I have a nice alum Super Winfield, but want iron of proper c/r. As to reason...a friend of Winfield told me that Winfield said something to the effect that iron makes power and alum is for cooking/looks ! I think that I understand this, a bit, and am patiently waiting for Tod !!

BTW...I also mentioned the IRON Lion Speed Head 111 , as an available iron head..if you can not wait. I think that the current edition MAY be a IV now ?
Thanks, I think im getting somewhere now as preferably want cast iron and have heard lots of good about winfield, so I will do as you say and see if I can get on the list...Cheers
Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #38
Jonnyenglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post

I have made a decision to go for the Snyder 6:1, I never heard back from Tod about the cast winfields, maybe hes away, but want to get going, the Lion and Thomas cost a lot more. I phoned a place in the UK which was not very helpful, they had a copy of a winfield which they called a wingfield?? but said it was as good, but still still wanted top $$, so I think my only opton is the snyder - and they were great at returning an email about shipping and seemed very helpful, customer services definately pays off!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #39
hardtimes

Hey Jonny,
Well, you figured ONE thing out well, i.e.- that Snyders service to customers is GREAT !

The other two things...cost and availability...not so much ! An old saying about cost applies here. And , good things come to those who wait is also somewhat true. BTW...I believe that TOD machines those Snyder sold heads, so youse just may have made full circle on that (Tod) anyway. If 5:1 head meets your needs, go for it ! Good luck.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #40
southfork

What would be a fair price for a used after market high-compression head with the "B" style water pump bolt pattern? I'm going to look at the used head tomorrow. The owner took it and the 'B' water pump off a recently rebuilt insert-bearing banger. He's asking $100 for the head and also $100 for the 'B' water pump if I want it. I asked him why he took it off, and he said it's too hard on the engine to have that much compression, and because it's too hard to crank over with that much compression.

I wont know the manufacturer of the head until I see it --- assuming that the manufacturer has marked it with the name.