Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
RcT

Default Movie cars...

Have any of you ever had your car used in a movie? If so, can you explain the process, the downside of doing it, whatever. What do they pay to use your car? Who will be driving it? Just curious...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Movie cars...

Some guys who have done it had terrible experiences and say "never again." I did 12 nights for Public Enemies and had a blast, got paid very well and would do it again. It seems that the low budget movies/shows/commercials should be avoided.
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
RcT

How do you get in touch with a company that arranges this? An Model A "Talent Scout", if you will...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
WTSHNN

Typically the production companies advertise in advance, either newspaper, TV or they reach out to the car clubs.
-Tim
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
CarlG

A movie co contacted the local AACA here for cars to appear in a movie, but they want new ones, you know, something in the 50's & 60's
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Bruce Adams

About thirty cars from Long Island participated in filming of MILDRED PIERCE HBO series two years ago and complaints were few while accolades were common.
My Bronson Yellow Cabriolet was not considered, as being "too flashy."
This production would not take red or yellow cars or any that would "stand out" if not a featured car.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
rwp

Several of our club members had bad experience with movie companies and stated they would never do it again. The only way my car will be in a movie is if I drive it and take it home each night.
rwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
glenn in camino

When I lived in Southern California I sent pictures of all my cars to the various agencies that located cars for movies, tv, and print adds. Once or twice a year they would call and rent one of my cars for a shoot. It was always fun and interesting. I always took a white long sleeve white shirt, a tie, and an era hat so I, hopefully could do my own driving. That usually worked out well. I learned from experience to stay with my car. Never leave your car at the studio. The pay was highest for the Packards I had at the time. The most interesting experience I had was a shoot for Playboy magazine at the Playboy mansion with a nude model laying all over my 1928 Packard convertible coupe. It was in the magazine the following year. I think it was 2001.
pro. Good money, other car owners to visit with, great catered food,see your car in the movie or magazine
con. lots of down time; the movies move very slowly. your car may get damaged. nightime movies shoot as long as it's dark.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
About thirty cars from Long Island participated in filming of MILDRED PIERCE HBO series two years ago and complaints were few while accolades were common.
My Bronson Yellow Cabriolet was not considered, as being "too flashy."
This production would not take red or yellow cars or any that would "stand out" if not a featured car.
My brother had 2 cars in Mildred Pierce, an A and a T. Was paid very well for several days of shooting and would do it again. He saw an ad in the local paper for the need of the cars.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Big John

What do you call being "paid very well? Dollar figure? Does your insurance cover This?
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

I get $500.00 a day for my 1973 Harley Servi-car. My AA truck has made from $200.00 - $500.00 a day depending on whether it is a principal vehicle or a background vehicle.
I have had my stuff painted by the studio. But they used what they call a Tech Coat. The paint is mixed with wax. After the job is done the Tech Coat is easily removed by the studios painters.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
WTSHNN

I got $300 a day plus three meals (and they were actually really good).

I should point out that some movies want to rent your car, they send a trailer or you drop it off and when they are done with it, you get it back. I only did it where I drove the car to the set. Stayed with the car the whole time. Drove the car home afterwards. I would not be willing to just hand them the keys and say "bring it back whenever."
-Tim
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #13
Ray With

We had a couple of rides in the movie 'HOPE" by Goldie Hawn and had a good time and got paid very well in the process. All the rented cars were kept in a compound area and only one driver did all the setup where they wanted the parked cars to be located. Cars driven were done by the actors who were familiar with the car they drove so I had no issues at all.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
Mike

I did a movie called "TWO BITS" and hey paid us well, and we all gained 10 lbs. for eating to much. If your car is a show car or near and dear to your family DO NOT DO A MOVIE, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR CAR.

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
Roadster Rich

I drove mine in the movie "Funny Farm" for an extremely brief view. Did not take any pay and the people were great. Took about a 6 hour day hanging around for the 10 second shot in the movie, but lots of fun. Also I know the man who owned the truck that was used as the mailmans truck in the movie. Someone from the movie company saw it at a local mechanics in my hometown in Vermont. Bought it from the owner for about twice what it was worth. Drove away and came back in 10 minutes and paid the mechanic to put new brakes on it since they could not stop it. When all was done, the movie company gave it back to the original owner with a lot of things fixed up, for free. Can't beat that.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Dick Carne

I'm sure that movie companies are a lot like most people, some appreciate you more than others. Years ago I had been asked to allow a movie company to use my roadster in a couple of movie scenes - never paid, and was verbally accousted when one of their driver's clipped a phone pole. More recently, a friend allowed another company to use his car - with very nice paint on a well-restored Victoria. When he got it back, the movie company had sprayed something to dull the finish - like to have ruined his car, and took several different paint professionals to finally get it back to being close to what it was before. That same movie company also used a couple of another friend's cars. He e-mailed me pictures of his cars while on the set, and they were caked in mud and looked to have been extremely abused. At least for me, knowing the amount of effort and time I have spent in restoring every component with as much care as I know how, I can't imagine ever allowing a movie company to use a restored car, as they have no appreciation for the cars themselves or the fact that it is anything other than another "prop". In that respect, whatever they pay you is probably not worth the end result damage the car will sustain. Again, just my 2 cents.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
WTSHNN

My experience with the movie was the same as others. They spray something on the car to dull the shine. After the week of filming, I was told to bring the truck to the shop of my choice to have it detailed and send the bill to the movie company, which I did. Car actually came back cleaner after the movie than before I brought it in.

Overall the experience was very enjoyable. Watching Chicago be transformed into 1934 was a once in a lifetime experience. I got to see Johnny Depp get shot dozens of times in the same spot where John Dillinger was shot. Like others have said, if you have a show car or an original unrestored or if anyone other than you will be driving it...take a pass.

-Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2758.jpg (75.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 2573290755_fd4a961b3b_o.jpg (87.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #18
inex01

My car and another exact auto were used in the movie that is coming out this fall that Clint Eastwood directed "J Edgar" My car was used in the Downtown DC and when they drove up the driveway going to the Linberg home, the other car was also used for various shots mostly interor as he had a more plus interior in his car, mine is very basic, no white walls and that is why they used it for most of the exterior shots, Eastwood told me he liked my car because it was not over restored and they did not need to make it look like a daily driver, because it is ! it was one great experiance and Eastwood is a real stand up guy.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
ChicagoBob

Anybody recall "The Untouchables," filmed about 1985. Dozens of Chicago-area Model As were used in the filming.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote