Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
mrraford

Default Original Cowl Lights how to tell?

I was gathering the pile-o-parts that need to go to the plater over the weekend and started wondering about the cowllights that were on my cabriolet when I bought it. The arms need to be replated but I have accumulated a couple of other very nice (but obviously reproductions) sets of lights.
Can somebody school me on identifying original 30-31 cowl lights? Before I go to the trouble and expense of having the arms replated on these lights, I would like to determine whether they are originals or repos. If they are not originals, I'll use one of the other sets that I have in hand.
Danke in advance!
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Original Cowl Lights how to tell?

the early 30 arms were brass the rest were pot metal. on the pot metal ones there is a part number on them. but some repro`s have the number to. most repro`s are pot metal. if you have your cowl band on your car just set the arm in the hole. the original ones will fit over the cowl band nicely and set up nice and straight. the repro`s will not fit worth a s--t. I hope that will help.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
peters180a/170b

Default Re: Original Cowl Lights how to tell?

They are very close. Do you have the rivet ,[Mid. 1930-to end-1931 ]or screw[early 1930] on the back side of the shell. A picture of the mounting bracket inside the cowl bucket will help.. That triangle piece where the 3 screws from the cowl arm attach too.pictures will help closeup..would like to see the rivet plate that holds the base plate to rim tab.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
mrraford

Unhappy Re: Original Cowl Lights how to tell?

I was taking my cowl lights apart so I could take photos of the parts as suggested. The mounting surfaces between the arm and the light bucket both bear the phrase "Made In Japan".
My best guess is that I am not working with lights made by Henry.....so I don't have credible photos for folks to opine upon. Thanks guys.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote