Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
bige386

Default At the end of the rope with my 46.

My 46 tudor sedan let me down again today. I have done just about everything I can think of doing to this car but nothing seems to work. Had the carb rebuilt, Installed a insulator between the carb and intake. New hi 200 condenser bought a new coil but haven't installed it yet Had skip rebuild pumps and distributor. Drove down to Tawas today which is about 15 miles from here for the 4th of July Parade and she ran down there nicely. Never went over 160. Got in line for the parade and shut it off for a while because we got there early. Later on I tried to start it up and no go. After sitting the temps went up to 190 which still isnt bad. She would roll over but would not fire. I am so disappointed in this car I'm ready to buy a For Sale sign and sell it to the first chump that comes along. The only thing left to do is change the coil. They coil on my car is a modern style coil so there is no rebuilding it. I have a 12 volt coil that is a high out put coil but don't know it that would work or not. I do know I am at the end of my rope with this car so if any one has any Ideas please send them my way.
Thanks .
Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: At the end of the rope with my 46.

dont give up, first we need to find the problem, two things to check, after shutting down pull the air cleaner and see if fuel is running down the carb into the manifold, if so the fuel is being boiled out of the carb leaving it empty and flooding the engine, next put your hand on the coil, if its to hot to touch it you have a coil problem, your running 12 v? if so make sure you have an internally resisted coil, or a resistor on the coil, next time when you try to start the engine after shutting down, pull a spark plug and see if you have spark there, if yes no coil problem

Last edited by ford1; 07-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Rebel Sympathy

Are you absolutely certain you have a vented gas cap?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
bige386

ford1 My car is a 6v charging system. I mentioned I didn't know if there was a difference between a 6v coil and a 12v coil. My brother has a reg 12 coil and one called a Flame thrower high preformance coil. and didnt know if I could use either one of these.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
ford1

you need a six volt coil on six volt system, the other two things i mentioned still need to be checked, a very hot coil means its shorted internally, or it needs a resistor, most 6v modern type coils need a resister to drop the voltage to around 4 to 4 1/2 volts, in less stated on the coil case its internally resisted

Last edited by ford1; 07-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Rebel Sympathy

And...... to offer a little more...... it has been my experience that when a condensor dies - it dies. However, when a coil starts cutting up, it can come and go - especially with rise and fall of temperature.

And I agree with Ford1, to wit: If a coil is too hot to hold your hand on, you got a coil problem. The coil may be dying, or it may need a resistor. But, something isn't right.

Last edited by Rebel Sympathy; 07-04-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Rebel Sympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
ford1

does the 46 engines have the cross over port to pass exhast gas to the back of the carb to help heat the carb on very cold days, if so plug them, with pennies or cover them a very thin piece of metal, beer can thickness, under the intake gaskets, the ports run just behind where the carb mounts in the intake, these can generate a lot of heat on the carb
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
G.M.

Put the 6 volt coil on you had Skip rebuild along with the IH-200 and your hot starting problem wil be gone. The fans in these old Fords don't produce enough cooling air on warm days, forget parades. As you saw on the trip to the parade it cools good with the forced air comming in through the radiator. G.M.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Mike in AZ

does it have a good spark when it won't start??.....looked down carb at that time to see if there is gas spurt from accelerator pump when you work throttle??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

You have a new coil BUT you didn't install it??.......................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
46ford

For hot starts mine does same thing. I use wide open throttle and it starts. Ether if it doesn't. It's maddening but it's what they do sometimes.

I'm downstate from you and it's 111 in my backyard right now.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
George/Maine

Any coil thats say supper dupper stay away from Flame crap.
If you have a 6 volt battery you need a 6 volt coil.
Any Mopar 1950 to1953 Plymouth Dodge,49 Ford to 55 .
Also remove the resister under dash if in use.
6 volts coil don,t need resisters.
ONly the 1948 and older Ford needed them.
If the one under dash is wired you could be lossing 1.5 volts.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
bige386

GM ... I didn't have skip rebuild a coil for me. Just water pumps and distributor. My coil is a new style coil and there is no rebuilding them. I was wondering tho. Would it help if I moved the coil from top of the motor and placed it say on the fire wall or fender well someplace a little cooler instead of right on top of the motor. I also have a new 6 blade fan on it that put out a huge amount of air. But the air blowing across it is pretty hot going through the radiator.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Fibber Mcgee

I'd be tempted to check for a resistor like George said, its under dash on firewall alot of new style coils dont need it. Mine didn't have the resistor under the dash when I got the car and it has the new style coil and it runs great. Also like Ford1 said with it happening after being shut down with it that hot outside check for gas boiling out of carb. Good luck, I always try to remind myself with these cars it always a learning experience, don't give up.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
jimTN

I'll betcha it is the gas you are running. It will boil on a hot day and when you shut the engine down, it perculates, floods the engine and pushes gas back to the tank. If you have a elec pump back near the tank you can pump gas back into the line for the engine fuel pump to pick it up. One of Skips flex lines with a check valve would also be a good addition. Around here you can see the gas foaming in a glass sediment bowl when you shut a hot engine down.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

.You don't need to shift the coil as where it is it gets a cold draft off the fan .As the other es have said ,No guessing is it 12 volt or .Get a 6 volt coil (New ) one that you know is correct .a Model A coil will do .The one with the buff colourd top is excellent .Napa ??

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
bige386

At this time I have a new coil on order it should be here any day now. I'm thinking a inline check valve might help out with the gas back feeding into the tank. there was a C/V on the new electric fuel pump i installed but it was leaking pretty bad so I removed it. This problem is going to drive me to drinking .
Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
bige386

The Resister is still under the dash on the drivers side. It has both wires on the bottom stud so I'm assuming it has been bypast. would it be worth while to hook it back up and see if it makes a different s ?
Thank you all for all of the input. This problem is driving me nuts.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

If thats the case then its been by past ,I would not even bother to attach the resistor its there to supple Henry's original 4.1/2 volt coil . you likely have a Faulty 6 volt coil on there ,at the moment .A electric pump introduce more complications .You should reinstate the Ford pump but go through a check list to make sure its working OK .Then at a later date reinstate it if needed to prime the carb .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
George/Maine

The new coil you had is this the 12 volt one?
First off did it start after a cool down,or did you come home on the tow truck?
You don,t say where you are maybe i could buy it .
These cars don,t like heat,better to stop and have couple of beers.
What you could try is get a fan the kind that was put to cool the driver and put it under the hood face fuel pump.I don,t do parrades for that reason overheating.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote