Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Restoration or maintaining
Complete authentic restoration 18 32.14%
Maintaining 38 67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2023, 06:47 AM   #41
sugarmaker

Default Re: How many of you are doing total restorations?

Folks,
This topic is always near by as we work on our projects, and most of these questions come to my mind!
How good should they be
When are they complete
Are the parts original
How much do you do yourself
what items do you have to have a expert in that field do
How long will the project take
Do the dollars invested matter
Are we having fun
What keeps us going

Back to the question: I believe my items that I work on are in the realm of Clean Refurbish and Paint. I try to most of that myself. They are nowhere near perfect or even close to restorations. So projects here get improvements to be functional, safe, and somewhat reliable, Considering most of my stuff is 60 years or more old.
I sure have had fun with the ragged ol truck! Keeping it in its work clothes, updating some of the systems, learning details about Big ol Ford trucks, meeting good folks in the hobby, sharing and trying to help others.
Regards.
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #42
JayChicago

I am in the maintaining category. Restoration is above my budget, and way above my skill level. I enjoy my time in the garage, but just doing:
Fix Or Repair Daily
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #43
35fordtn

To do a proper restoration nowadays unless you have hoarded NOS parts over the years, will cost at minimum $30k-40K assuming you do the paint and upholstery and all the work yourself. I restored my 36 Pickup as a driver but took it to the bare frame and did 100% of the work myself. Paid $10k for the truck and spent $36k on the restoration and took me 72 Weekends (roughly 6-7 hours each weekend). So had I paid a shop that charges $85 a hour to do it, I would have paid $43k in labor.

A reputable Model A restoration shop charges a minimum of $80k for a point judged car.

At our parts business I'd say 2% of the sales are parts going to a full blown frame off restoration. Of the other 98% roughly half are hot rodders.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:23 PM   #44
Newc

Have 4 Fords in Progress and goal is nice drivers. Repro parts closeouts and interior closeout have messed this all up. Now it's bumpers N/A. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #45
DavidG

Michael.

And a lot more if your starting point is junk.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:37 PM   #46
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Michael.

And a lot more if your starting point is junk.

David & Michael

"OR" if what you paid for finished product is "JUNK"
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:51 PM   #47
Seth Swoboda

The absecnce of a supplier for authentic interior kits for V8 Fords is the biggest problem my projects are facing currently. This is a major blow for some of us.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:07 PM   #48
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
The absecnce of a supplier for authentic interior kits for V8 Fords is the biggest problem my projects are facing currently. This is a major blow for some of us.

Very true. The only things I can't do are the woodgraining and the interior stitching. That alone is going to cost me $6-$7k, probably at a minimum. That's going to be a hard one to swallow, especially with my limited income, not to mention even finding someone that is experienced with this style of interior work.

That alone is enough to stop most anyone from doing a full on restoration, so then guys look for cheaper alternatives to get the car on the road. But the sad fact is, not many people today are even interested in completely stock cars of these years. It's hard to deal with modern traffic while driving, and they just see us as a 'nuisance'.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #49
meric42

I'm 28 years into my #1 of 2 '42 Sedan Delivery's restoration, too many other projects getting in the way. Progress photos attached as found in 1995 in Claremore OK then in 2016 showing some good progress made but still lots to do the second one came from Pasadena and will be a 'patina' tidy up for fun driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42 SD 1996.jpg (129.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg S-D 001b.jpg (68.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 1024x768_bestfit_54.jpg (64.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 20160209_162219.jpg (64.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 20160209_162129.jpg (53.2 KB, 195 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #50
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
I'm 28 years into my #1 of 2 '42 Sedan Delivery's restoration, too many other projects getting in the way. Progress photos attached as found in 1995 in Claremore OK then in 2016 showing some good progress made but still lots to do the second one came from Pasadena and will be a 'patina' tidy up for fun driving.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:50 PM   #51
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post

My current car is a 1941 Ford Special Business Coupe. Evaluating the clues, seems like it was "restored"/refurbished about 20 years ago. The Special was the "strippo" trim level and relatively few were made meaning it's rare. It's many owners since then seem to have assumed that rare equates to more valuable, so it's been through several auctions as each new buyer attempts to flip it for the rarity premium. History seems to show that that premium is near zero. It seems to draw about the same bids, certainly no more, than a much more common Custom or Custom Deluxe.

One thing that intrigues me is the odometer reading of less than 6,000 miles. There's no documentation whatsoever that that's the actual mileage but other points about the car make me believe that it's POSSIBLE that it is. The seller made no representations in that respect. I can construct a theory that the car purchased prior to WWII, the owner went off to war, stashed the car, never returned, and the car was pulled out of a barn around 1999 and refurbished. It's a pleasant fantasy.

It was refurbished using Custom upholstery. Looking at the EFV8 club green book, the Special has model-specific upholstery. As far as I can tell, no one has ever re-manufactured this upholstery. Looked around casually but, so far there's no stash of NOS material for this any where. I'm assuming it would have to be custom woven.

The car looks great, I paid a fair price for what it is and enjoy it a lot is so I'm not actively looking for the correct fabric. If I stumble across some of it for a reasonable price I'd probably buy even though I suspect redoing the interior correctly would add no economic value. Nevertheless, it might be personally satisfying. It's not out of the question but there are other reasons I'm not actively pursuing a total restoration on this car. The fabric issue is a total show-stopper.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 05-11-2023 at 09:58 PM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:02 AM   #52
Daves55Sedan

I've done two body-off-frame restorations (both '55 Fords) at different times, each one taking 4 years to complete. The 4-dr sedan was done in '96 and it is still driven to this day, anywhere, anytime. The Courier sedan delivery wagon was done in 2000. The Courier has been in mothballs for years and I rarely even go out to start it up anymore.

Both required extensive floor cut-outs and patching with new panels as well as inner & outer rockers and some floor supports. I had the 4-dr sedan body plastic bead blasted and frame sandblasted. The wagon I had dunked in chemical rust/paint remover. All the painting was done in my 1-1/2 car garage with a cheap spray gun inside and out. I did not stick with factory repro interior upholstery in either. I used J.C. Whitney upholstery and did all my own upholstery work. Both engine short-blocks were rebuilt by a professional while I rebuilt the heads in my garage and did all engine assembly. Never had the intention of showing either one.
I'm certain I will still be driving the 4-dr sedan till my death.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #53
TomT/Williamsburg

I do not do full on restorations but I have definitely done multiple ground up builds and I am finishing one now that I believe will be my last. My builds are no where near exacting or anywhere close to the level of detail of those who do restore them. For me, I can change things if parts are not available so I have options - for those who restore there is no where to turn save beating the bushes for leads on parts.

My hat is off to you guys - you are a breed apart….

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 05-12-2023 at 03:24 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #54
Ron_r1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
No doubt but what fun is that? I consider the time I spent not as an expense, but as an experience!
I agree, I have done a lot of other projects and after I was done with them, I got bored! There is also a lot to be said about knowing what has been done and how it was done, that you don't always get if you buy one someone else has done! On top of that, I rarely have the money out right to do it all at once anyway. LOL
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:22 PM   #55
oldandtired

I have have been in the car hobby for over 50 years but have only had any flathead powered vehicles since 1994. I bought a 37 Ford half-ton that was a running driving stock except for a 38 engine and paint pickup. I became interested in doing a show quality restoration. I have had quite a few 35-37 commercial vehicles that I have had since as restoration projects wherein the intent was to go back as bone stock as possible. I have now sold all 7. I decided that I would be miserable to actually drive one of them knowing that the first person who put their foot on one of those gloss black running boards to get into the pickup would wipe out a significant amount of time and expense. I have two vintage vehicles left. One is a street rod that started life as a 37 half-ton stake that I bought and rebuilt after it had already been modified beyond the possibility of restoration. The other is a 39 panel delivery. I have had it for quite a few years, have redone the body work several times, repainted it several times because I did not like the way it looked with my original color choices, and it sat for several more years. Finally, the gloss painted running boards got Raptored, the inside door panels the same to eliminate scuffs, the 4-speed is gone in favor of a 3-speed, and the milled oak tongue and groove floor that I couldn't get myself to paint is now stained. I haven't decided whether to actually put it together and drive it.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:24 PM   #56
Seabees

Working on my grandads '48 F1, he bought new. I got it in '76, drove it a couple years until I bought a new F250 in '78, then only drove it on occasion, until a valve stuck open. I think it sat for 30+ years. Tore it down over the last month, parts are getting blasted, the V8 is getting worked over, and I'm lining up new parts. It's a chore that's for sure. I've restored a couple Model A's over the years, along with a '32 BB that I am currently working on also. Just hope I have enough energy to keep it up! I'm sure I'll be back here with questions in a few months.
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:04 AM   #57
Jacques1960

I’ve found that the best course, for me, is to take over a project where someone else has done the bulk of the work, including very good and expensive paint, then chasing the details and finishing the job myself.

As Kubes says, interest has waned due to an aging out of those who knew and loved these cars when young; as a result, quality restoration “donor” vehicles can be had for 30-50 cents on the original restoration dollar.

With this readjusted costs basis, the last 15-20% of the work can contribute to a value uplift of up to 50%, making this “restoration adoption” approach both good math and a reason to invest as needed to finish the job.

While I love my cars, the hunt for correct parts / the manufacture of those which cannot be acquired, is the true joy for me; meeting people like Kubes and Sheldon along the way makes the process even better.

My turnover is low, maybe one project leaves the shop every three years, but there is an underlying discipline that, once value has been doubled, the car needs to be placed with a new steward.

There may be one, well maybe two, sentimental exceptions to this “rule”, but I generally stick to it as a way to fund new projects.

On the horizon ? A Packard 12, Porsche 356, and a barrel grille Ford pickup. Eclectic to be sure.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #58
Model51

I'm restoring my truck to original condition because I want to, can reasonably afford to do so, and more importantly, it's my hobby - the way I like to spend my time.

I enjoy the process of taking a worn out, or rusty, or whatever condition part, and using my hands make it look like new (so something like that). Discovering how it works, understanding how it all goes together, and figuring out how Ford did it "back in the day is all part of the fun. I enjoy meeting so many great people, going to shows, flea markets, late nights alone in the garage tinkering - it's all part of a hobby.

Restoring a vehicle is not about making money and most younger folks really aren't interested. I figure that's just part of the evolution of the old car world and accept it. When I am no longer around, I just assume most of my stuff will have no value, but I'm still buying parts I don't need because it bring me joy. Life's too short to dwell on the negatives.

Now I get off my soap box and head back to the garage to disassemble, sand blast and paint an other big truck jack I picked up a a flea market yesterday.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:41 AM   #59
DavidG

Dave,

Well said!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:38 PM   #60
Model51

One thing I've learned is that it take me three times to get anything right. First time it's discovery and figuring things out. Second time skills improve. Third time, I know what to do and do it well enough. So, three times I did my starter, three times the generator and so on. Just patience and having fun all the while learning new things.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote