Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
Newc

Default Swap Meet woes in the Pacific NW

Just returned from our Best- Early Bird Swap in WA State. Tried to buy my next years' stall and Found 'WE QUIT' thanks and goodbye from the Model T club [organizers]! Upon discussions this is the Third? Large Swap to be Retired in our area!! Salem -Fathers Day[Model A]; Early Bird {Model T], and maybe a Monroe, WA [Fall Meet]. Workers are tired and elderly. When are the younger clubs [sports cars, imports, et.] Going to take these events over?? Internet does not replace the Social fun. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Swap Meet woes in the Pacific NW

Newc, started to see a downturn at Portland last year with a lot of vacant spaces in the expo buildings. Also noticed some vacant space at Albany in November. I think this may be my last year at Portland due to the sky high prices of hotel rooms and the crime around the area. Sad state of affairs when you go out to eat and see the restaurants have security guards in their parking lots and restaurants closed and boarded up at Delta Park. I will miss seeing many friends from the area. The social aspect is half the fun of going. I've been going for over 30 years.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Lets all hope the larger meets (my RG puts on the Spring Monroe meet) continue. What Dale said is true, as old-time members decide they no longer want to do all that work (or die). I was in charge of the Spring Monroe meet for 10 years back in the late 1980s, I no longer live near Seattle, so it isn't practical for me anymore. There are few new young members coming into the RG too which is a problem everywhere. Young people aren't interested in these cars so much which is why the values are going down.
Maybe other clubs (tri 5 Chevy, Chevelle, Mustang) would take the meets over.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Swap Meet woes in the Pacific NW

Fuel prices are the deal breaker.
Most folks cannot subsidize the cost(s)
of vending at a swap meet any longer.
It is just not cost effective.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:59 AM   #5
ford38v8

Happy to report that my club's swap is enjoying a resurgence. Years ago, we had a 2 day swap at the Alameda County Fairgrounds, got pushed out by the Goodguys, then a downturn in swaps for a bunch of years. Now, at the old Alameda NAS, we're growing back to major swap status! Watch for us twice a year: 1st Saturdays of May and October.
Attached Images
File Type: gif gg emblen.gif (8.5 KB, 280 views)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:09 AM   #6
Alaska Jim

We have not had a good swap meet in the Anchorage, Alaska area for almost 10 years. There has been a few tries in the last 5 years, but very few vendors- attendees. It is a sad state of affairs.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #7
rockfla

A cancer that is effecting not only SWAP meets BUT National and Regional car clubs as well....AND unfortunately our beloved EV8 Club!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
Gene1949

I think it’s a generational thing. Much to the chagrin of our parents we spent our youth in the garage neglecting homework building and improving our cars. Later in life my wife and I spent many years on the I-5 corridor (Washington, Oregon, and California) swap meets. The back side of the Cascades had swap meets every bit their equal. They were all terrific.

Years ago, part of the downfall of the Portland swap meet was the preferential treatment given to the (so-called) professional vendors. They started including period correct clothing and memorabilia to the exclusion of real car people. We actually started going to the smaller swap instead because the committee seemed to have lost their focus.

Face it gentlemen, we and our hobby are on our way out. However, places like this forum keep it alive. I am forever grateful to the forum moderators and the grey hairs here for their knowledge and input.

Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
oldandtired

I used to go to Moultrie, Charlotte, Maggie Valley (later in Fletcher), Iola, Chickasha, and Belleville most years and have also been to a variety of other meets a time or two. One of my favorites was in Sedalia, Missouri where when they started a 30 x 50 vendor space was $25 and is now maybe $50. Last year I went to only Charlotte, and it was a wasteland compared to most years pre-COVID. Huge numbers of vendors did not come, people who had set up there for decades. People who used to come by for years to gab did not come, and I hope they are okay, but don't know. I do know I missed seeing them. This year I will not be going to any of the meets to set up and I no longer have spaces at any.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:12 AM   #10
pistonbroke

Lets face facts. Yes Portland as a city is in the toilet and the last time I went it was over half dime store junk being sold that had nothing to do with cars. The early bird swap was run by the model T club which is sadly dwindling in numbers . Gas prices are sky high. Covid scares people away from large events and yes for those who come from afar, lodging is very expensive. I like swaps like most of us but you have to admit that as of late we are buying and selling more on line then ever before. So looking at all of this we can see how our beloved swap meets are falling by the wayside. Our hobby/life stile is changing and we are feeling it . We all need to stay in touch , stay on the road, go to the shows and enjoy it to the fullest for one day these to shall pass.
Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #11
J Franklin

Instead of a show and shine maybe we need more of a show and swap.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Happy to report that my club's swap is enjoying a resurgence. Years ago, we had a 2 day swap at the Alameda County Fairgrounds, got pushed out by the Goodguys, then a downturn in swaps for a bunch of years. Now, at the old Alameda NAS, we're growing back to major swap status! Watch for us twice a year: 1st Saturdays of May and October.
Al, it certainly is a good local swap meet. The included car show also helps.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:09 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
I think it’s a generational thing. Much to the chagrin of our parents we spent our youth in the garage neglecting homework building and improving our cars. Later in life my wife and I spent many years on the I-5 corridor (Washington, Oregon, and California) swap meets. The back side of the Cascades had swap meets every bit their equal. They were all terrific.

Years ago, part of the downfall of the Portland swap meet was the preferential treatment given to the (so-called) professional vendors. They started including period correct clothing and memorabilia to the exclusion of real car people. We actually started going to the smaller swap instead because the committee seemed to have lost their focus.

Face it gentlemen, we and our hobby are on our way out. However, places like this forum keep it alive. I am forever grateful to the forum moderators and the grey hairs here for their knowledge and input.

In my opinion, you have stated the truth as simply as can be stated. I would add that eBay and the likes have hit the swaps a blow as well. I stopped swapping a couple of decades ago. Why? I got very tired of guys offering me pennies on the dollar for my parts. Literally pennies on the dollar. I go home, put the stuff on eBay and get twice, even four times as much as I was asking at the swap.

It's not the cost of going to the swap.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #14
38 coupe

I have very mixed experiences at swap meets. I go to the PreWar meet in Chickasha, Pate, and a more local meet in Fredericksburg TX that is almost always hotter'n heck. Chickasha is dying but is the rare meet where I need to look at every space. Pate is so huge something will be interesting, and my club helps put it on. Fredericksburg is great half the time and nothing the other half. I have friends that go to all three, helps keep me attending.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote