Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
V4F

Default Re: Champion C-16C

when my motor was stock i ran w18 , now i run w20 , so 16's are cold .. steve
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #22
Fred
BANNED

Has anyone ever checked to see if there was/is a difference in the ORIGINAL 3x & todays reproduction one ??.. I run the originals in both my cars with no problems...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The Champion heat range chart shows the W 18 to be heat range 7 the chart shows the W 16 Y to be heat range 6. There is NO W16 Champion spark plug on the chart now and the search doesn't show that there ever was one. The referance to W16 doesn't pertain. The chart speaks for how the company rates the heat range of the plugs in question. The nose of the W16 Y is indeed projected but the heat range remains at 6 and it is just the opposite of what you claim!!! The W16 Y is good if you drive at high speed for extended time, if all is good with the engine they should run OK. As for the referance to 5500 RPM, most model A driver cars will never reach that level and that is when the extended tip would be of benefit. We have discussed this before on one of our long phone conversations while I was waiting for the last Brumfield head back in 05. Actually the W 16 Y doesn't run clean at low speed and short trips with stop and go driving. This has been my experience and most model A's don't get driven at long entervals. The W18 is a hotter plug with a heat range of 7. The W18 plugs REALLY DO perform great at lower speed and with short drives, they also work good while cruiseing at 50-55 mph with the BF head. The W18 plug is better suited for the average model A because it is HOTTER and runs cleaner at low speed as any model A guy that has used them already knows.

I have nothing to gain from posting here at all. I do like talking model A and shareing my experience with model A's, what has worked for me and how I have fixed our cars. Bad or incorrect information doesn't help anybody. The Champion charts bear out what I have said!!!

The reference to W16 pertains exactly! I used that portion to refer to the manner of Champion's numbering system.

The Champion heat range chart you're reading is an exact contradiction .... let me say that again... AN EXACT CONTRADICTION to the heat range chart in my Champion Spark Plug book, printed by Champion, that I have used for years. Go find an older independent auto supply (back at least 8 years or so) and read it for yourself.

You should also notice that the heat range of 6 on the chart you're reading lists the W16Y and W14 and the W10, all together ... as being 6.

One heat range number to the next is approximately 176 to 212 * F. This means the W10 can run as much as 848 degrees cooler than W14 ... and the chart calls them all 6.

The chart you're reading uses an IMEP method as per SAE J549 as a test to produce these numbers ... 6, 7, etc.

As I said in my other posts, my experience with the W16Y is different than yours. From my experience and for many of my customers they ran hotter than the W18 in their stock heads. If you don't want to believe it then that's your business ... I could care less.

Moreover, there are many variables which can affect what one fellow and his engine gets with a particular plug as compared to the next. For example, some get good results running W18 with a Reg. B-F Head 5.9 and others claim they're too hot. They get better results with an Autolite 3076 or a Champion W14.

From my own tests with Brumfield Heads, which are always at higher speeds, I've always had the best results with an Autolite 3076; so that is what I recommend. BUT ... it's not set in stone! Like I said there are too many variables; such as personal driving habits including lugging, lean or rich carburetors, differences in how they control the spark lever, atmospheric pressure and altitude, etc., etc.

Higher atmospheric pressure and/or lower altitudes tend to lean the mixture which may require a colder plug or an adjustment. On the other hand, lower atmospheric pressure and/or higher altitudes can cause the mixture to be richer demanding an adjustment or a hotter plug.

The over 5,500 RPM figure came directly from a Champion engineer! .. Of course 5,500 RPM does not apply to a Model A, but the figure is required to explain the plug and the reason for its position on the chart in my Champion book. Anyone who knows how to read the Champion numbering system knows that the higher the number goes the hotter the plug. The Champion engineer, however, explained that the addition of other letters changes things. Notice for example that the chart you're reading lists the W85N as being a 5 and the W80N as being 3. Well what happened to the numbering system? With a number like W85, that plug ought to be HOT. But the N changes it.

He explained that the Y or projected nose plug offers a broader heat range because the core nose is longer and more exposed, thus providing a 'hotter' plug at low speed which helps to prevent fouling. As engine speed increases, the incoming mixture flows across the tip of the core nose, providing charge cooling which effectively reduces heat range at higher speeds.

I asked what higher speeds? He said over about 5,500 RPM.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 02-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

Same as I have said previously in this thread. The W 18 is hotter than the W16Y. It is a shame that some will believe you. Its really not my problem what anybody wants to believe!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
Kurt in NJ

Mine are 40 years old, look a little rusty now, but still work good and burn clean ---I can pass the emission test for late 80s cars.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post

<snip>

From my own tests with Brumfield Heads, which are always at higher speeds, I've always had the best results with an Autolite 3076; so that is what I recommend. BUT ... it's not set in stone! Like I said there are too many variables; such as personal driving habits including lugging, lean or rich carburetors, differences in how they control the spark lever, atmospheric pressure and altitude, etc., etc.

Higher atmospheric pressure and/or lower altitudes tend to lean the mixture which may require a colder plug or an adjustment. On the other hand, lower atmospheric pressure and/or higher altitudes can cause the mixture to be richer demanding an adjustment or a hotter plug.

<snip>
This is the first I heard of the recommendation to use the Autolite 3076 with the BF 5.9 head. Good to know!

I am glad the Zenith carb has the GAV to allow fine adjustment of the mixture when you need it.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
Peter J

Hey Guys,
I've been following the conversation and sort of get the idea that Autolites are a no no? I had a set of C 16Y's and had problems. An old timer said to throw the Champs away and go to 3077 Autolites for putting around town. Work fine and burn clean. Having a stock engine, am I missing some rocket science somewhere in plug choices?
Pete
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote