Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
41 Ford PU

Default 4 Post car lift

I thought that perhaps some of you might have a 4 post car lift.
If so, I'm looking to buy one and would appreciate any and all suggestions for
which one to consider.

I have two trucks, a 1941 1/2 ton commercial and a 1977 F-250 4x4. My plan
is to put one on the lift and raise it. Then put the other under it and store
both for the winter months. I also can work on either of them without rolling
around on the concrete floor.

I have a shop, so room is not an issue.
I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Mike
41 Ford PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 4 Post car lift

Look at the specs on different lifts, Bendpak seems to have a very good reputation. You need to have capacity of the lift to lift the F250 plus a safety margin. The 41 probably weighs half as the F250. Many lifts come with wheel kits so you can move them when empty if need be. If you are going to bolt it down You should probably have 5 or 6" slab and have a 220 outlet close to where the pump will be.
I have one I use for a second parking spot. I have 18' walls in my shop so plenty of headroom.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
tubman

I have a 4 post lift. I can't recall what kind at the moment, although it is rated at 7000 lbs. I like it, and it works well. I have a '99 F150 2wd pickup and a '51 Ford coupe, among others. When I got the lift, my plan was to put the coupe on the lift in the winter and store the F150 under it. When I tried a test run, the truck was about 5" to high to fit under the lift. I have friends with current 4wd pickups and they are much taller than mine. I wanted the truck on the bottom because I sometimes need it during the winter.

My recommendation is to make sure the lift you get has enough capacity to put the new truck on top or will lift the old truck high enough to get the new truck on the bottom. I'll bet the new truck on top was not what you planned.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
Krylon32

I have a Bend Pak high lift 4 post drive on lift. Mine is the 7000lb version, it lifts all my cars I've had it for about 5-6 years and find it very handy. Seems like I always have something on it and something parked under it. My wife bought it for me after seeing me come hobbling into the house after spending hours on my back under one of my cars. I didn't try to be a do it your self-er when it came to assembling the hoist. We paid the extra $1200 the dealer wanted to deliver and install it. Dealer was 150 miles away and sent 3 men to do the job. Also I know a lot of guys have theirs so they can move then around but after seeing mine wiggle around with my 32 pickup on it I had them bolt it to the floor. (6 inch concrete) One other thing I chose the 110 volt pump over the 220. Didn't require me to do any rewire of the shop, it works fine. Turned out there was and outlet right by the left front corner. I also chose the air safety locks over the manual locks.

Last edited by Krylon32; 08-01-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #5
41 Ford PU

That is the kind of information I'm looking for.

I am looking at the Bend Pak, models either HD-9 or Pro 8000 XLH.
One I believe is 220V, the other is 110V. Neither scare me. My shop has 440V and a step-down transformer to 220V. I Also have the usual 110V. I do have to
consider the future and might not have the 220V forever.

Thanks alot and keep the suggestions coming.

Mike
Old 08-01-2023, 09:42 PM   #6
41 Ford PU

I almost forgot.

The plan would be to put the 41 on first and raise it. Then the 77 would go on
the underside. That way, if I need to work on the 41 it is always in position.

Mike
Old 08-02-2023, 01:22 AM   #7
ssffnomad

So you have a Ceiling that is how high ?
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:41 AM   #8
Krylon32

My ceiling is 12ft 6 inches tall. Wish it was a little taller but it is what it is.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:20 AM   #9
Pat/Ohio

I have a Backyard Buddy which is made in the USA (Ohio) with U.S. or Canadian steel. No problems in over 20 years! They come in various heights etc.

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
rockfla

IF it helps you any, Like Krylon32, my rafters in my shop are 12'6" and thus, my two post lift could only extend up to 12' as my installer wasn't comfortable getting another 6" of clearance/lift. I really wish I had that extra 6" as I am 6' 1" tall and at the max lift on my 39 Mercury (or all my other modern rides) I am still a bit hunched over when working under the car. My experience tells me with ANY lift you want 14' min to get the maximum out of either a two post OR four post lift!!! JMO and experience
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:05 AM   #11
51504bat

Almost every shop in town has a Bendpak, 2 post or 4 post. Seems to me if it's good enough for a pro it is more than good enough for home use. And then some. JMO
Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #12
Shoebox

Working on the concrete floor was getting tougher, so I went through the "research" phase and ordered a Bendpak HD-9 four post. Free shipping was offered at the time, and I inquired about installers. I was referred to the owner of a nearby NAPA, who suggested I have the lift shipped to him so he could do some preassemble. I did that and a few days later 2 guys rolled up towing a trailer with my lift partially assembled, a couple hours later it was up and operational. I did get one rolling bridge jack and the caster kit. Everything has worked GREAT.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #13
T Scott

Go with the Bendpak, it's a good unit. You can install it yourself using an engine hoist and a simple block and tackle or a com along. Bolt it to the floor. I don't recommend the casters. You will also need compressed air to disengage the safety locks.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #14
41 Ford PU

Thanks one and all.

I measured my height this morning and with the shop overhead door open, I have 12' 7" clearance. With the shop door closed, I about 13' or a bit taller.

My 41 is a bit under 6', so that leaves a minimum of 6' 6" for the 77 4x4. I can't measure it at this moment because it's out getting some work done on it. But, I think that it is about that height, possibly a bit shorter. Regardless, I will still get a 4 poster. I just found a gas tank leak somewhere on the 41 and have to pull it in order to find out what is going on. I getting too old for laying on the concrete like I was yesterday. Also, I want to check my leaf springs. The shackles on the rear end ones are not tight. I'm trying to tighten them and not succeeding while on the floor.

Thanks to one and all.
Mike
Old 08-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #15
Krylon32

When I ordered my Bend Pak lift I checked factory direct with free shipping to my door but had no idea how I was going to handle it when it got here so I did my home work and found a dealer in Omaha who would sell it for the same price as direct with no shipping charges. he had the equipment to handle it, the man power to assemble it and from the time I placed the order with him and made a down payment it was just over 2 weeks and his men were at the door of the shop ready to go. Regardless what some on here say the parts were to heavy for me to handle and especially the ramp that had the cylinder under it. They were here about 6 hours and one man had to return the next day because they had brought a 220 pump instead of the 110. Only problem I've had to date is an occasional drip out of the end of the cylinder. Yes, the dealer is a 150 mile one way trip and they made 2 trips with no additional charges.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #16
tubman

When I got my lift, 3 years ago, I had someone lined up to install it. To make a long story short, the guy flaked out. Considering the alternatives, I decided to do it myself. I was 78 at the time, but with the help of a young friend (72 then) and my cherry-picker, we got it installed in less than a week, working 2-3 hours a day (this included installing one end assembly backwards and the subsequent correction).

I am very glad I did it myself; now I understand the lift and how it works completely. Cables stretch and metal yields. When I wasn't satisfied with the synchronicity (is that a real word?) of the sounds of the latches when raising the lift about a year ago, I was able to easily adjust it to my satisfaction.

Knowledge is power. I strongly suggest installing it yourself.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:44 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
When I wasn't satisfied with the synchronicity (is that a real word?) of the sounds of the latches when raising the lift about a year ago, I was able to easily adjust it to my satisfaction.
For what it's worth, I have never heard the term "synchronicity", but what the hell do I know? Merriam-Webster, on the other hand, agrees that it is the REAL DEAL!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #18
Preciousmetalsmotors

I'm looking to trade my 2 post for a 4 as well.
Preciousmetalsmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #19
Bob C

I have a 3/4 ton short bed crew cab and got the Bend Pak HD9XL. The lift is close to the shop door so I have to back the truck on if I want to close the shop door. I agree
with the guys that say have it delivered and installed. There was the installer and two helpers and it took them the better part of a day.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #20
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
Go with the Bendpak, it's a good unit. You can install it yourself using an engine hoist and a simple block and tackle or a com along. Bolt it to the floor. I don't recommend the casters. You will also need compressed air to disengage the safety locks.

Regarding the casters,... a year after getting my lift I decided to upgrade to LED lighting on that side of the shop (I have a high ceiling) and of course there were lights above the lift, too high to get to standing on the lift. I installed the casters and the lift hoisted itself up so I could easily roll the unit over and come in with a scissor lift to change lights. Definitely not recommending leaving casters on, just when the need arises to reposition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4713.jpg (32.5 KB, 26 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote