Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Lyle

Default the best brand of Tires

I have a 1929 sport coupe.I bought it for my Wife. (so she would not feel left out)And to get her off my back about my cars.What brand of tires is the best? She is not able to drive a standard shift. I have a late model 4 cylinder in it with a automatic transmission in it.I kept the model a engine and all parts so it could be put back to stock. I Think she will drive it fast. I wont good tires. She lost her right leg 6" below the knee in a wreck. and has to drive with her lift foot.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: the best brand of Tires

In my opinion, the new 21 inch Goodyears are the best. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
kenparker

Goodyear. hands down.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Lyle

That is what I was thinking also. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Peter J

You mentioned driving "fast"? How fast? Possibly you may want to rethink staying with a high profile tire to begin with. I know it's sacrilege but your wife's safety is something to think about.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Frank Nemo

The 21" Goodyears have only been available for a short time, but if they perform like the 19" they should be the best tire for you. I have been running the 19" Goodyears for seven years and am very satisfied with them. If your wife likes to drive fast, I would be more concerned about the brakes. She is going to have to stop the Sport Coupe safely!
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
29RPU

Just how long have the Goodyear 21's been available. I'm getting a car that has some on it and it has been sitting awhile? Surely not original....confused.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Lyle

I can make the model A ford lock up all 4 tires. My Father trained me how to maintain the brakes on the T and A ford. I was 14 and am now 59 I got my first Model A at age 12.I wish dad was here now he passed last year at the young age of 94. I do have the parts to change the A to hydraulics. So far the brakes have worked all right. I have warned her to be easy on them and to give the person ahead plenty of space. She is to tell me If she has had to make hard stops or stand on them hard. so I can check for stretched rods and other stuff. my other A has disks on the front but it Has a flathead V8.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Aerocraft

29RPU: The "new" Goodyear tires came out late Spring this year and are made in the USA. I have been told that the tires are very accurate to what was available in 1929. I have examined the tire and only wish I had twelve of them for my two '29s. You will find other, older, Goodyear tires running on lots of cars. Check the manufacture location on the sidewall and they generally are made in other countries. I don't know the details of when they were manufactured overseas. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Lyle

Who is selling the Goodyear here in East Texas? Or do I need to order from a web sight?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
roccaas

Look for two radial ribs running the circumference at the outer edge of the white walls. If they are there (and awfully hard to clean the gap between them) you've got good Goodyear's. I had one without the ribs and it just didn't look or roll right.

Talking to an older pro, he indicated that this one was a South American made Goodyear rip-off. Stay with the good online companies and A suppliers (I've been very happy with Kelsey for several years, and am sure the others are good also.)
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Stan

Who has best deal on the Goodyears?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
w.michael

On Goodyear 19" tires, all the suppliers quoted me the same price. The only difference was the shipping charges, which varied widely.
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Dusty

I don't know what the best is but I can tell what is about the worst and that is Denman tires. As stated in a previous post I got a whopping 1500 miles and now they are nearly bald in the center. I wrote Snyder’s a while back about these awful tires and never received an answer back. Tonight I decided to give Denman an ear full and guess what, they are out of business and have been so sense March.

Snyder’s sold me these tires knowing this company was defunct and I am not happy about that or being out over $300.00 I wrote a follow up to Snyder’s this evening and this is it.

I recently wrote you about my purchase from you of a set (2) 19” Denman tires and their poor performance in lasting only about 1500 miles. I would have expected at least a response concerning my problem but have received none. Tonight I was going to send an email to Denman letting them know how bad these tires were hoping for some kind of compensation only to find out they are out of business and have been sense March. You had to be aware of this at the time of my purchase, I can’t believe you sold me tires from a defunct company. I now have no means for any kind of resolution to this problem and I am out over $300.00
I stated in my previous email to you that I have been pleased with your products and service, however this has me rethinking that and maybe my money might be better spent elsewhere.
Dusty Phillips
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I stated in my previous email to you that I have been pleased with your products and service, however this has me rethinking that and maybe my money might be better spent elsewhere.
Dusty Phillips
My father told me that a measure of a company is not what they do when things go right, but rather what they do when things go wrong?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
My father told me that a measure of a company is not what they do when things go right, but rather what they do when things go wrong?
Mike, that is so true, lets see if Snyders will step up to the plate.

Not holding my breath in WV

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
skip
Banned

Goodyear.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
aaron griffey

Send a message via Yahoo to aaron griffey

What about the model A specials that Coker has for $65 each? Anybody try them?
aaron griffey is offline   Reply With Quote