Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Two Door Phaeton on Craigslist

I agree with all 5, Keith to Brent, that this isn't far off the mark. It looks pretty good.

Yes, that is a bad way to support the trailer roof. He should have gone up the two sides with 2 x 4's, then used a 2 x 6" to span them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
Keith True

It's not the way I would want to support the roof either,but I have done it that way at the last minute with nothing at hand to work with.I am just guessing here,but he could be jacking the roof to repair it.The pressure needed to jack those roofs back into position is almost nothing.You can push them up easily by hand,but something is needed to hold them in place while you brace them.I've only seen one of these cars in person before.It was parked during the war,and was sold about 12 years ago for $15000.The operating condition of the running gear was of no importance to the buyer,he was concerned with the wood,sheet metal,hardware,and the cosmetic condition of the undercarriage parts.I was hired to put rolling wheels on it,and haul it from the building it was in up to the road to be loaded in a trailer.I had to use a small crawler to wiggle it around the trees and out of the estate it had lived in.Never seen one since.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Just in time for Christmas.

Was just doing my standard local search for anything A and this popped up. Thought some people might be interested in a new toy for the holidays.

2 door phaeton in Long Island
Price is not really bad for this 1930 Phaeton, I drove my friends 31 Phaeton for about 2 years in 2007,08. while my 31 Tudor was down. It was a beautiful washington and rivera blue . The car was a national winner in the 80's. While the time I was running the car, I was active in the Baton Rouge, LA mafca. RED STICK'S. With this car that gave the club 3 Deluxe Phaeton's , pretty good for the city the size of BATON ROUGE. The one thing that I discovered in the 2 years I had the car, I would rather have a 4 door. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 31 phaeton.pdf (706.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf 31 phaeton 2.pdf (729.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by modelAtony; 12-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
To me, that looks like the inside of an enclosed trailer instead of a garage.

While some do not see the asking price realistic, my experience says it will likely bring within 10% of the asking price. Like Bill elluded to above, this bodystyle will give you the best bang for your buck when the costs are factored in. I have honestly thought about reproducing this style body for resale. The only thing hindering me is appropriating the time to do them.
When you get them perfected, put me down for one.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
neds29

The jack isn't holding the roof up, it's holding the car down. Nice looking car whatever the price. Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #26
midgetracer

The price seems fair to me. This is a very rare car. Similar to the 400A in production. It's value will always appreciate. You cannot compare it to a 2dr sedan of which many 10's of thousands were made. There is no Model A that you can buy and restore to decent driver condition that you will be able to sell right away for the amount you have invested even is you do all the work yourself. This car is a much better place to put your restoration money than a sedan, and the recovery of investment will not take near as long as the sedan.
The only concern is finding the initial investment.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
jambottle

seller says he has clean title for 1931?????
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambottle View Post
seller says he has clean title for 1931?????
Years ago some states titled a car as the year it was first sold, so a 1930 sold in January 1931 was titled as a 1931 car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #29
SSsssteamer

[QUOTE=modelAtony;.... The one thing that I discovered in the 2 years I had the car, I would rather have a 4 door. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA[/QUOTE]
Dear Model A Tony, I own a 1930 Standard Phaeton (4 dr) and for a 6' 3" guy like me, it is a tight fit to slide in behind the steering wheel while the top is down. My 1929 Tudor is very, very easy for me to side in behind the wheel. I would think that the Deluxe phaeton (2 dr) would be just as easy to side in behind the steering wheel too? How did the Deluxe Phaeton compare for ease of entry for you?
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #30
Keith True

Actually on Craigslist you have to put something in the box where it says title.In N.H. where there is no title requirement for old cars we just click on clean for the option.Tom's right,most states,if not all,titled a vehicle the year it was sold.Titles are state issued,not from the manufacturer.I had a 69 SC Rambler that was titled as a 71,it had sat in the dealer showroom 30 months before it sold.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Dear Model A Tony, I own a 1930 Standard Phaeton (4 dr) and for a 6' 3" guy like me, it is a tight fit to slide in behind the steering wheel while the top is down. My 1929 Tudor is very, very easy for me to side in behind the wheel. I would think that the Deluxe phaeton (2 dr) would be just as easy to side in behind the steering wheel too? How did the Deluxe Phaeton compare for ease of entry for you?

1931 180 A pictures

Steamer, I am also 6' 3" 225 lbs. 65 years old. The 31 deluxe is tight fitting because the steering wheel is lowered with the special drop colum. My 31 Tudor has lots more room to get into seat. I have never sat in 4 door Phaeton but thought it would have more room under wheel. modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #32
SSsssteamer

Model A Tony, Thank you for your informative reply. Our 4 door 1930 standard Phaeton is a tough one to enter, just like the "A" roadster is too. I have to lead with my right foot as far as I can reach just to enter. Once seated, it is a comfortable drive. I wish that I had not put as much padding in the back rest as I had done though. It is a fair weather car and it is most enjoyed in the sunshine with the top down.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #33
pooch

The miracle oil is oozing out the head gasket seal.

Maybe he is pushing against hydraulic lock.

Funny thing is , phaetons are like arseholes here, everybody has them, they were the main body style imported as kits.

Admittedly, not 2 doors like this one , but phaetons nonetheless.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #34
Bill Underwood

World of difference in a 28-29 fordor phaeton and a 30-31 Tudor phaeton. In looks, value and comfort of entry and driving
Simply comparing "apples and oranges"
IMHO
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #35
Royce P

I know what you mean! I am 6'5" with size 14 shoes, 230 pounds. My '31 four door phaeton is difficult for me to enter and exit. Once in place it is comfortable for me. But it takes some contortions to get there!

$20,000 does not seem out of line for a mostly complete and decent condition 30 - 31 Deluxe 2 door phaeton. Since that is the ask and not the sell price I bet you could get him to throw in the jack and the trailer for $18K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Model A Tony, Thank you for your informative reply. Our 4 door 1930 standard Phaeton is a tough one to enter, just like the "A" roadster is too. I have to lead with my right foot as far as I can reach just to enter. Once seated, it is a comfortable drive. I wish that I had not put as much padding in the back rest as I had done though. It is a fair weather car and it is most enjoyed in the sunshine with the top down.
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #36
peters180a/170b

There is a saying in this hobby [ there's a ass for every seat...] This 180A is in question,i have looked at the pictures and 1 item comes to question. List as a 1931 ? The original body tag calls for a 1930 MID-JUNE car going by my Registry of Protected 180-A Body tag Numbers. Now the picture shows the right side of the car[passenger] with the 1930 running board but the fender /running board horn is missing ?.There is a open gap between the fender and running board.These 180A cars should be looked at as a keeper and not buy / restore and then sell. You will never get your money out of it.[done correctly maybe]. Roadster / Cabriolet are nice cars but if you put money in a open car your return will be greater with the 180A. 4 seat open car will beat out 2 front seats with a rumble seat anytime,,, selling price.This 180A is worth at least $18,000.00 but the jack with the blocks of wood and the presure on the rear tub worries me..
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
peters180a/170b

Last week i received a call from another "A" guy in the neighborhood telling me about a 180A in a garage 15 minutes from my home. Not knowing that i knew of this 180A[and tried to buy it] back in the late 70's and is still sitting in the same spot.It was pulled out of the Bronx in the early 70's and still sits there . Mostly complete as i remember and a nice shade of LIME GREEN. Told the want to be buyer the price should be around $10,000.00 and add another $30,000.00 to finish doing most of the work himself. The first words that came out of his mouth was [then how much could i sell the car for??} $40-$50 THOUSAND??he ask... I told him don't bother with the car then. save your money .that how i feel.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #38
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
There is a saying in this hobby [ there's a ass for every seat...] This 180A is in question,i have looked at the pictures and 1 item comes to question. List as a 1931 ? The original body tag calls for a 1930 MID-JUNE car going by my Registry of Protected 180-A Body tag Numbers. Now the picture shows the right side of the car[passenger] with the 1930 running board but the fender /running board horn is missing ?.There is a open gap between the fender and running board.These 180A cars should be looked at as a keeper and not buy / restore and then sell. You will never get your money out of it.[done correctly maybe]. Roadster / Cabriolet are nice cars but if you put money in a open car your return will be greater with the 180A. 4 seat open car will beat out 2 front seats with a rumble seat anytime,,, selling price.This 180A is worth at least $18,000.00 but the jack with the blocks of wood and the presure on the rear tub worries me..
Hey Pete,
I was thinking same thing you're saying , regarding the right side 'running board'. Sure makes me think....EARLY '30 with two piece running board. Look at how the splash apron is integral with the step. I think that early '30 was only model that used that..no?
And, who would take pictures of a car for sale, with jack and all that wood on top , possibly doing metal damage..yikes ! Is that left rear near belt rail also bent up, maybe from weight ? Still, if win lottery or rich uncle (which I ain't got ) leaves me something, I'd like to mess with this one !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #39
peters180a/170b

Hardtimes , Deluxe Phaetons came out in late May of 1930 meaning they were being built as early as April.The running boards are 1 piece w/ the side apron and the front fenders had the splash horn . This means the horn is missing off the front fender [spot welded] or they stuck a 1931 fender on without the horn.. Now you had it backwards in Nov. 1930 Ford started with the 2 piece running board / side apron and not EARLY 30 which had the 1 piece. I can not see the side of the doors...IF and only IF there is a snap for the side curtain ,center of that door then it states 1931 doors as 1930 doors did not have that extra snap. But don't go by the door alone. they can be switch like everything else..Still it looks like a nice car to start off with...
Old 01-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #40
HalcyonDays

Is the phaeton still available I cannot find the ad?
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote