Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Fred A

Default Saving Floating Rod Bearings?

Several reject blocks and engines clutter my yard. Since there is some intrest in good used bearings I wonder if the original orientation was important assuming that the direction is significant. I expect that many of the other parts are expendable. A friend who does scrap metal will love the rest. Any more parts typically worth pulling? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Saving Floating Rod Bearings?

Well, I would save the cam out of the 52-53 EAB engines and the 49-53 Mercs, also the lifters out of those engines, they are .030 longer than the earlier lifters, they come in handy when using performance cams. Of course good cranks are nice to save, and rods, as far as bearings go I've saved a lot of good bearings that mic good, if your building a shoe string engine for some farm truck, Those floaters are tuff bearing, if there worn .001 build up the oil pump pressure. Save little things the front and rear main oil line plugs. You cain't belive how many main bearing caps I've given to people that have a broken cap, and they made it work. Ain't this fun? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Fred A

Thanks Walt. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Out of the tens of millions of these engines made, there still is still is a tendency to keep the junkers. Where your list of possible keepers may seem long, sure saves a lot of space in the yard to rid the junk. Only two of the engines are post '48. Sure will keep one of the cranks and a set of rods for a backup to keep my options open. Thanks Again: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Several reject blocks and engines clutter my yard. Since there is some intrest in good used bearings I wonder if the original orientation was important assuming that the direction is significant. I expect that many of the other parts are expendable. A friend who does scrap metal will love the rest. Any more parts typically worth pulling? Thanks: Fred A
Pull ALL cam cores and lifters. The stock STEEL lifters are the best. Identified by having ONLY two 5/32 holes in the side.
Cast iron ones have elongated slots in the side. No need to re-use these in any engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

Yes, I use the floater bearings all the time, IF they are the right size. They really don't ware much. Also 21A and 29A rods.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote