Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
36tbird

Default Re: Want to open new Flathead Business in TX

Yo BandidoLenny, does A&E have the jigs for the babbit bearings? I heard there was a place in Kerrville that did.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
curleeman

Thanks henry/kokomo and flatheadted...You're right,all it takes is serious homework and dedication. It's not like there is a flathead engine training school out there. How does everybody think the guys back in the day did it? They tore into their motors and taught themselves and learned valuable info from friends and got information whenever they could, just like i'm doing now.. I have a better chance learning about the simple flathead than one of these new fuel injected computer ran modern engines,you practically have to be a computer trained technician to work on the newer stuff..And yes, I may not have all the "know how", but I'm lucky enough to have a full & complete flathead given to me from my family to rebuild. All it boils down to is how much do I want it and how far am I willing to go. None of us would ever achieve any dreams or live life to the fullest unless we take a chance at something we have never done. It has been my dream since I was about 7 yrs old to have this motor,now I'm 34,still young and have the time to tear into this dream of mine and nothing will hold me back...I may not ever own my own shop,but I damn sure will get that motor running better than it ever has (with the help from you guys)...Thanks for the words of encouragement...Never give up!!!
curleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleeman View Post
Thanks henry/kokomo and flatheadted...You're right,all it takes is serious homework and dedication. It's not like there is a flathead engine training school out there. How does everybody think the guys back in the day did it? They tore into their motors and taught themselves and learned valuable info from friends and got information whenever they could, just like i'm doing now.. I have a better chance learning about the simple flathead than one of these new fuel injected computer ran modern engines,you practically have to be a computer trained technician to work on the newer stuff..And yes, I may not have all the "know how", but I'm lucky enough to have a full & complete flathead given to me from my family to rebuild. All it boils down to is how much do I want it and how far am I willing to go. None of us would ever achieve any dreams or live life to the fullest unless we take a chance at something we have never done. It has been my dream since I was about 7 yrs old to have this motor,now I'm 34,still young and have the time to tear into this dream of mine and nothing will hold me back...I may not ever own my own shop,but I damn sure will get that motor running better than it ever has (with the help from you guys)...Thanks for the words of encouragement...Never give up!!!
I wish you all the luck in world. You mentioned that there isn't a training school and that is true. There is a lot you can do leading up to this by getting yourself some junk blocks and practice.

Dress them up nice so you can show guys that drop off their motors what you can do.

Also, fool around with some Briggs & Stratton engines. If you can soup one of these up, you can do seven more cylinders for one of Henry's lumps.

It may also be a good idea if you could actually show folks what you do. I'd also suggest have a running motor in car that you did so you can give folks a ride.

If it runs strong and cool, you may get folks say build me that. You'd have already done it once and the second time around you could correct some of the mistakes you made the 1st time around.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
Karl Wolf

My father, at the age of fifty, bought an auto parts store in 1966, based on his experience working in one as a teenager...
Get a job at the shop that you favor, it may save a lot of pain... The learning curve is not so steep... You may find that your dream may morf into something else... Or you may find that it's more fun to keep V8's as a hobby...
Like me... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #25
fordman

here in Levelland (west of Lubbock) we we have Freeman Motor Auto Repairing, a father-son shop where the older restored (really restored) 24 cars (mostly fords) in his career, some high pointers; son carries on. He machines it all; they did 4 engines for me: anA, 9N, 37v8, 40v8. Various antique cars are being sent here for machine work, etc.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

A wise businessman once told me the quickest way to fall out of love for a hobby is to make it your business that you depend on to pay your bills.

Always seemed to stick with me.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
Lowsquire

the first ten thousand dollars of your start up money should be spent building flatheads. see if you can build three for that.then give them away.get them into cars that get USED a lot, tune them, fix what breaks. and learn from that for a year or two.. Then maybe you will be on the way to being able to charge people for the service.
Lowsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
GaryTx

There are very qualified shops within 100 miles of the Dallas/Fort Worth area.....In this economy I would be cautious starting a business....Unless you need a write off....Have the engine rebuilt by an experienced individual...It will save you time and money in the long run....
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #29
Gumpy

Curleeman--weigh your options....there are some machine shops going out of business....what would your equipment cost? Insurance? employees,,,,overhead for a shop....someone to answer the phone while you work.....alot of things to think about but many businesses have been started in garages...a friend of mine has a machine shop in his garage at the house...he finally got his door closed! good luck
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
Jason in TX

The reason people ship off their engines is reputation. There are plenty of shops in Dallas that can machine a flathead block and bolt stuff together.

But when "those shops in California" are setting records on the salt with vintage engines, some people are willing to spend extra on reputation and freight.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #31
curleeman

Thanks guys for the support...I guess I've gotten a little discouraged in my pursuit of finding a reputable machine/vintage engine shop around here..I have to agree with most of you, it would be extremely risky and doing it for a living may take away what I love to do in my spare time...I will move forward and tear down my old motor and do everything I can until I need to get the professionals to finish the build for me..I know it's possible for me to accomplish most of it, just maybe not all of it...Thank yall for the encouragement and opening my eyes to the real world, it may be a bitch but I'll mess with that bull even if I get the horns...Anymore info on good machine shops around the DFW area would be much appreciated.Thank you...
curleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #32
Planojc

Give Dave Plubell a call 972-840-2242. He's in Garland and has built several engines for members in the Dallas Early Ford V8 Club.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #33
Jason in TX

PlanoJC? Any experience with Mike Minnette? I've heard he is also experienced in Flatheads. Over off Harry Hines I believe.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #34
Planojc

Don't know anything on him.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #35
BandidoLenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Yo BandidoLenny, does A&E have the jigs for the babbit bearings? I heard there was a place in Kerrville that did.
I don't know the answer to that. I guess you would just have to call and ask... Their number is 830-367-4333.