Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default ?? Class Action law suit ??

There are some Lawyers among us Some retired some still working.

Why has there not been a class action law suit brought against the oil / Gas company's For the harm there products have caused our cars?
AKA Ethanol to rubber products
I don't understand why there is no warnings on the ethanol enhanced gas that it should not be used in cars & trucks manufactured before a certain date.

On the Diesel pumps they Do.I have to add fuel additive to my tank on the big truck rasing my cost by 8 cents per gal.

I ask why aren't they liable for the damage there products have done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put my name 1st on the list.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: ?? Class Action law suit ??

They may have an out because the pump says "Contains Ethanol."

You the consumer are suddenly supposed to be an expert on Ethanol and it's damage, but they put the "warning" on the pump. I'm sure that is their work around.

Also, new cars are supposedly built to handle the ethanol. Our 80+ year old cars are not the cars considered when these new products are engineered. Our cars for all intents and purposes shouldn't have survived this long anyways!

Darn you Obsolete Quality Craftsmanship!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
countrysquire

Why would you sue the oil companies? They aren't putting the ethanol in there by choice.
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post
They aren't putting the ethanol in there by choice.
yup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlNzgvogxk

Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Bruce/CT

Sort of think that this is an FEDERAL EPA mandate. All in the name of better gas milage and lower pollution. Studies, I believe, have shown that the Corn Gas gets lower MPG. Don't doubt that the oil companies are reaping extra profits from it.
Bruce in CT
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
oldford2

Bill,
The huge agricultural corporations realized that they could make more profit "helping relieve" this country's dependence on oil by turning corn into fuel. So their powerful Washington lobbyists got government subsidies to give to these "farmers" to grow corn for fuel. Except, it costs more to make ethanol than gasoline. But, more profits for the big corporations. Now, corn grown for food is not so plentiful so food prices go up. If the lobbyists can get regulations changed to 15% in all gas their production would go up 50% and still more $$. Ain't it great

Last edited by oldford2; 05-30-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: delete
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
41ford1

The wisdom of ethanol and federal mandates. You got to love it. Uses more energy to make than it produces. Reduces the energy quantity of a gallon of fuel. Therefore fewer MPG. And last, but not least, it destroys the soft components in older fuel systems. A win-win situation like the cash for clunkers program.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
BILL WZOREK

Lets be careful Guys lets keep this non political,,,,,,
It may sound like la la la land but the medical company's are held accountable,even after the F D A has approved a drug so why not the petroleum companys ?
I know this won't go any farther then here but it's about time accountabilty starts taking effect.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Fibber Mcgee

I know back in the 90's a gas station called Racetrak had 10% ethanol but it was cheaper than everyone else,you had to be really broke to buy gas there because it was know for tearing your car up. Now the good gas stations sell the "cheap" gas,but it ain't cheap no more.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Fe26

Things to get our heads around:

The era of cheap fuel is over

Oil is running out and the price will inevitably rise

America along with other countries that import oil have signalled loud and clear that they must reduce their dependency on imported oil, and they have been signalling to us for years and years

Alternative admixtures are necessary to help in the transition phase from oil to other (yet to be invented/marketed fuels)

The easiest and cheapest way to produce admixtures is to use the chemistry and the industry we already have to aid in production

Comparing prices between the way it was and the way it is now is futile, the future we knew was coming since the first 'oil shocks of the 1970's' is now here, you were warned countless times this was coming

Old vehicles such as ours probably count for less than 1% of the vehicles on the planet

Good luck if you think anyone cares

Even better luck if you can interest a law firm to take on this case, a case which would take years and cost-a-lotta with absolutely no prospect of winning

Finally, wouldn't it just be easier to simply change the components on our cars and trucks that are susceptible to damage from fuel additives?
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Jason in TX

^^ agree 100% ^^
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
rotorwrench

We will know we are in a pickle when folks start starving so their food can be turned into fuel.

It got started by federal mandate through the EPA. Farmers didn't have a thing to say about it but they have the common sense to know it ain't right. When corn prices go up, the price of beef goes up and so on. You have to look at all the facets before you can place the blame. Look at the price of diesel after they mandated removal of sulphur. EPA again and again. Watch out for the doom sayers. If they scare you enough you'll let them do whatever they think is best but that may not be whats best for all in the long run.

Mankind is basically using up this planets resources in the quest for an answer to solve all of our problems. The question about whether we will find the answers to those problems before we run out of resources is inspiration for the doomsday folks.

If I have to, I'll convert to natural gas to get by. It's not easy to contemplate change but somewhere along the line someone has to do it. The big problem is that corporate greed will shut down production of gasoline if fuel needs surge toward a different type of fuel because it becomes a nitch market and they won't make enough money.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-30-2012 at 06:57 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Things to get our heads around:

The era of cheap fuel is over

Oil is running out and the price will inevitably rise

America along with other countries that import oil have signalled loud and clear that they must reduce their dependency on imported oil, and they have been signalling to us for years and years

Alternative admixtures are necessary to help in the transition phase from oil to other (yet to be invented/marketed fuels)

The easiest and cheapest way to produce admixtures is to use the chemistry and the industry we already have to aid in production

Comparing prices between the way it was and the way it is now is futile, the future we knew was coming since the first 'oil shocks of the 1970's' is now here, you were warned countless times this was coming

Old vehicles such as ours probably count for less than 1% of the vehicles on the planet

Good luck if you think anyone cares

Even better luck if you can interest a law firm to take on this case, a case which would take years and cost-a-lotta with absolutely no prospect of winning

Finally, wouldn't it just be easier to simply change the components on our cars and trucks that are susceptible to damage from fuel additives?
I recommend the following book:
Basic Economics by Thomas Stowell.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
rick r

I agree with MRTEXAS, my old flathead runs great on blended fuel, over 60000 miles since bringing it back to life in 1999. As for the comment about rich farmers, the writer should do a little research on the subject before making foolish statements. I spent 30 years farming, and grew corn for as little as $2.00 a bushel, darn near cost me the farm. It is great to see corn prices at profitable levels, now our farmers will be able to continue to feed us.
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
BILL WZOREK

I was not trying to start a suit,I was just wondering why there hasn't been.
I guess the consciences is that life is like Dodge ball if I don't get hit it's great but if I do get hit I hope it is only very soft so I can get in the next game!!!!!!!!

NOW GO OUT AND ENJOY YOUR FLATHEADS

What are you doing here any way !!!!!!! LOL LOL

BILL W
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick r View Post
It is great to see corn prices at profitable levels, now our farmers will be able to continue to feed us.
Darn right. And if we run low on corn we could just eat it instead of using it for feed
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
46yblock

When new car makers test vehicles for mileage, do they use ethanol or 100 percent gas?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
Darn right. And if we run low on corn we could just eat it instead of using it for feed
Good luck trying to eat 'feed corn'
Its not what you think it is.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
ford38v8

With all these high sounding goals of saving the planet and such, we are being snookered by the Farm Lobby. No such EPA mandate would exist without the Farm Lobby. Farmers continue to recieve government subsidies all these years after the Dust Bowl, and they want more, not less. Farmers, as Politicians are keenly aware, are voters, and they have their PAC's and their Lobbies, the REAL power in this country, not the EPA or the Congress.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Mike51Merc

Not that it matters, but I'm a practicing attorney and there are plenty of people who say we have enough litigation already.

There are some good points made above in this thread regarding the reasons we have ethanol in the first place. Gov't mandates, Agribusiness lobby, farm subsidies, oil conservation, etc. My guess is that you'd have to sue them all to figure out whose fault it is.

You could also sue them for removing Tetraethyl lead back in the 1970s because it damaged your valve seats. You could sue them for not removing it sooner because it poisoned our environment.
You could sue them for not issuing warnings until recently that gasoline is carcinogenic.
You could sue your component manufacturers for not being prepared for ethanol fuels.
You could sue everybody for everything.

Now, can we talk about old Fords again?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote