Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #41
Jordan

Default Re: Model A's The Youth Market

The main reason I can think of teens not driving is because a trustworthy car is going to be $10,000+++ and then it's $1,500 a year in insurance. This is just for a Modern car, much less add a model a on top of all this.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
The main reason I can think of teens not driving is because a trustworthy car is going to be $10,000+++ and then it's $1,500 a year in insurance. This is just for a Modern car, much less add a model a on top of all this.

Don't Mom and Dad have a car? Is it really a reason not to drive because one cannot have their own car?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #43
QGolden

Mike, someone still has to pay the insurance. My Honor Roll, Eagle Scout, with Drivers Ed, 21 year old, son with a spotless record pays almost 200 dollars a month for insurance. And that was as an adder to my policy, not his own. Honor roll, and Eagle etc, is not to brag about my son, those criteria all get him an insurance discount. He works pretty near 40 hours a week to pay for the privilege of going to school. That 200.00 a month is pretty dear to him, if he did not have to drive I am pretty sure he would not.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #44
Bill Underwood

By the time I was 16 I had been driving 4 years. One grandfather had a plumbing firm and one a small farm. So stuff was available. By the time I was 17 I was operating light equipment and knew how to drive a tandem. I will not go into the damage I did to some things albeit rather minor!!!
Had first model a when 15!!! Now 65 and always had one around.
Son is a lawyer and not interested whatsoever
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Don't Mom and Dad have a car? Is it really a reason not to drive because one cannot have their own car?
If your teenager has a license, the insurance still goes up whether they have a car or not.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #46
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Mike, someone still has to pay the insurance. My Honor Roll, Eagle Scout, with Drivers Ed, 21 year old, son with a spotless record pays almost 200 dollars a month for insurance. And that was as an adder to my policy, not his own. Honor roll, and Eagle etc, is not to brag about my son, those criteria all get him an insurance discount. He works pretty near 40 hours a week to pay for the privilege of going to school. That 200.00 a month is pretty dear to him, if he did not have to drive I am pretty sure he would not.
I need to let my kids read this so they can see how easy they had/have it. In Florida there is prepaid college for a few bucks a month you pre pay the kids college and lock in the price at the time you start paying. The only thing my kids had to pay for is books.

As for a car, I did what my parents did for me and my brothers, I paid the insurance until they were out of school and working and they drove us to work and back so they could have use of a car.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #47
dumb person

Reading this tell me insurance seems so much more affordable in my country. Think about the poor kids in the UK who have yearly insurance that costs more than a late model used car! Not sure if they simply have more accidents over there or just profiteering.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #48
RJ

Cost of ownership is most likely the greatest problem. when I start in the hobby gas was 32 cents a gallon, auto insurance was couple hundred a year, and you could work on your car to fix it. things have changed drasticly.
The world is waiting for the next Henry Ford , someone with vision, and a idea to get us off of gas.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #49
Duffy1

Got my drivers license in Texas when I was 14 .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #50
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Got my drivers license in Texas when I was 14 .
You beat me. I got mine in Minnesota when I was 15 and a short time later they raised the age to 16. My cousin in S.D. got her's by mailing in a buck or two and they mailed her the license. Of course that's changed a long time ago, so now you actually have to drive to get it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #51
Lee Mitch

My Credentials: large high school principal- recent retiree
My Opinion: probaly not worth much more than anyone else's!
That being said, while the economy probably plays a role, I don't believe that is the primary culprit in my area. Also, yes, there are lazy kids. There always have been. No change there. 1. Many high schools, and most middle/jr. high schools have reduced, if not eliminated shop programs. The kid who took "autos" also took "metals" and maybe "woods" class. Are all of those classes still available at your local school? 2. Kids fill the void, they/we always do. Electronics are readily available, and required to be used in schools and even the DMV. Have you taken your "written" drivers test lately? Lastly, the top 30-40% of kids are far busier than most of us ever were. Athletics are year-round (how many kids are 3 sport athletes and/or get their summers off like we used to?). Calendars are stuffed with FFA, honor society, concerts, competitions, beach clean-ups, SAT or ACT exams, etc.... That may not be good, but that is what is the norm today. These kids are just too darned busy with other things. BTW, when was the last time you or your club/s introduced the Model A to a young person? Hmm....
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #52
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mitch View Post
My Credentials: large high school principal- recent retiree
My Opinion: probaly not worth much more than anyone else's!
That being said, while the economy probably plays a role, I don't believe that is the primary culprit in my area. Also, yes, there are lazy kids. There always have been. No change there. 1. Many high schools, and most middle/jr. high schools have reduced, if not eliminated shop programs. The kid who took "autos" also took "metals" and maybe "woods" class. Are all of those classes still available at your local school? 2. Kids fill the void, they/we always do. Electronics are readily available, and required to be used in schools and even the DMV. Have you taken your "written" drivers test lately? Lastly, the top 30-40% of kids are far busier than most of us ever were. Athletics are year-round (how many kids are 3 sport athletes and/or get their summers off like we used to?). Calendars are stuffed with FFA, honor society, concerts, competitions, beach clean-ups, SAT or ACT exams, etc.... That may not be good, but that is what is the norm today. These kids are just too darned busy with other things. BTW, when was the last time you or your club/s introduced the Model A to a young person? Hmm....

Lee, Well explained and your last sentence says it all, kinda like my post #29
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #53
Tinbasher

Were down to the 5%'ers. I'm helping a young guy with a project but there few and far between. Only 1 of my kids drives the other takes transit. To costly to run a car.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote