Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Hot engine: Cannot start without choke

Hi,

I am advancing with my 1930 tudor project and noticed the following today:

I can start the cold engine fairly easy with the choke rod pulled for a second or so, the spark advancement lever up and the throttle lever horizontal. Pulling the spark advancement lever down gives a smooth running engine ... also at idling.

After idling for 5-10 min I shut down the engine and want to start it again however without pulling the choke rod. The engine will not fire at all. However, if I just rapidly pull the choke, the engine fires again and I can obtain a nice and steady idle. What might be my problem? I thought you should be able to start a warm engine without the choke.

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Hot engine: Cannot start without choke

Problem ? Nope. Normal.
If mine has set for much more than 10 minutes after a good run, it needs to be strangled. All part of the fun of 'A' ownership.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

With a warm engine I never have to touch the choke, but if your engine runs fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry about a quick pull of the choke.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
JOES31

Mine will start without choke even after setting an hour or so. I wouldn't worry as long as it starts even though you have to choke it. My Tudor also idles better with the spark lever between 9:00 and 10:00 so I think they all run a little different.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a perfectly tuned engine and carb will start without choking it after warmed up
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Be grateful that you don't have a problem. Some folks have problems of runnin' too RICH & sootin' up the plugs, etc.
Bill W.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Tom Endy

I have seen this problem before when road testing Zenith carburetors on my Vic. In most all cases if the car has been driven anytime during the day and the ambient temp is not extremely cold (for Southern California) the car will start by just touching the starter, no choking necessary.

However, every once in a while a Zenith shows up that has to be momentarily choked after the car sat for an hour or two.

It has to be fuel related. However, I have never been able to think it out. The carburetor performs as Henry ordered in all other respects. And it can't be the Vic because most other Zeniths bolted up do not exhibit this phenomenon.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
mshmodela

What you're seeing is what my Model A does as well. Learning to start a warm engine was harder for me than a cold one... With the help of the experts here: Tom, Mitch, Mike V FLA, BillW and others (thank you) I was using too dang much chock. Also, for my car 1/4 only opened GAV when warm was the last thing that made a difference, as well as not to crank the ___ of the car; 4-5 cranks as most, let it rest of she will not start, then try again in a minute.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
Hi,

I am advancing with my 1930 tudor project and noticed the following today:

I can start the cold engine fairly easy with the choke rod pulled for a second or so, the spark advancement lever up and the throttle lever horizontal. Pulling the spark advancement lever down gives a smooth running engine ... also at idling.

After idling for 5-10 min I shut down the engine and want to start it again however without pulling the choke rod. The engine will not fire at all. However, if I just rapidly pull the choke, the engine fires again and I can obtain a nice and steady idle. What might be my problem? I thought you should be able to start a warm engine without the choke.

Lucas
The engine is made to operate as such, cold engine - retarded, all the way up to start with 3-4 clicks fuel . WARM ENGINE spark down about 1/2 and little fuel. MOST PEOPLE MISS THIS. EVERYONE ALWAYS PUTS SPARK ALL THE WAY UP . ALL TIME ME INCLUDED. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette,LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
ronn

my "new" lawn tractor starts the same way-go figure...............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
Gino

I went and put in one of those timing light kits. I can easily change the timing by one degree now. I have found that when I have the timing retarded just by one or two degrees I no longer have to choke the engine when warn. I don't know that's just me?
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
The engine is made to operate as such, cold engine - retarded, all the way up to start with 3-4 clicks fuel . WARM ENGINE spark down about 1/2 and little fuel. MOST PEOPLE MISS THIS. EVERYONE ALWAYS PUTS SPARK ALL THE WAY UP . ALL TIME ME INCLUDED. HAVE FUN modelAtony tony white Lafayette,LA

Everyone "misses" that because it is wrong. Unless your timing is set incorrectly, you should always start the motor with the timing lever retarded so the spark occurs at topdead center. Starting the motor with the timing advanced is asking for trouble, regardless of the motor temperature.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Everyone "misses" that because it is wrong. Unless your timing is set incorrectly, you should always start the motor with the timing lever retarded so the spark occurs at topdead center. Starting the motor with the timing advanced is asking for trouble, regardless of the motor temperature.
correct i always start it hot with no choke and full retard.. advancing is asking for trouble such as starter drag kickback or jamming
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
Stan/MO.

Have you checked your plugs? It could be running a little lean...causing it to need a little fuel to fire.
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

This "might" help. The idle mixture has a little "range" between the lean "drop" & the "rich" drop. Turn the screw IN (which IS richer), to just before you get a rich "drop." That small amount of extra fuel usually helps it start, WITHOUT choking, on a warm restart.
REMEMBER, in on the screw IS RICHER & out IS LEANER!
In my garage, where it was not too cold, Minerva, most of the time, would start COLD, with NO choke & would keep going, if I didn't "GOOSE" her too quickly & rarely would I ever have to open the GAV, except when it was below about 32 degrees here.
Bill W.