Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
bobscogin

Default V8 clutch problem

I rebuilt a '42 Mercury flathead V8 to put in 'my '29 rpu. The engine was out of a fire truck and had the flywheel which uses the 11" truck clutch. I bought and installed a 1935-1940 car flywheel in order to use the 9" clutch. I'm using a 9" Long type "stock" pressure plate and the mounting bolt holes do not line up with the holes in the flywheel. When I install bolts in one pair of holes in the three pressure plate "legs", the holes in the other two or off about half the diameter of the hole. Also, I would have expected the pressure plate to slip snuggly into the flywheel rim. It has clearance all around equal to about the distance it's off on the holes. Photo shows the problem. What's going on here?

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0170 (640x480).jpg (175.4 KB, 86 views)
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: V8 clutch problem

Could you possibly have a flywheel for a truck with the 9 3/4" clutch? Just a thought. Rod
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
rotorwrench

There is an 8.5" for the V8-60. The 9.75 was the old BB truck type clutch from the A&B days. The 10" didn't show up till 41 or so.

Is the presure plate new or a rebuilt old one? I don't see the inertial weights on there like most conventional Long types have.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

I thought the 9 3/4" clutch was also offered for the V8. Maybe I read the my 1937 parts catalog wrong. I will double check later today as I hate to retain and pass on bad info.

I also noticed this is the 8n/9n tractor pressure plate without the flyweights. Rod
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I also noticed this is the 8n/9n tractor pressure plate without the flyweights. Rod
Thanks for the input. I've been able to determine from a measurement given to me by Dick Spadaro that my flywheel is indeed one for the 9" clutch. The problem is that the pressure plate is incorrect. I'ts going back to the vendor tomorrow. Good catch on the flyweights. Not ever having seen a "real" 9" Ford car clutch I overlooked their absence. Makes sense that a very low rpm tractor engine wouldn't benefit from them.

Bob

Last edited by bobscogin; 02-12-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I thought the 9 3/4" clutch was also offered for the V8. Maybe I read the my 1937 parts catalog wrong. I will double check later today as I hate to retain and pass on bad info.

I'm pretty sure it could be used on V8s as well as 4 cylinder engines but it was the big clutch for trucks from 28 to 34. I found no specific BB flywheel so it likely fit the B- flywheel on 4s and the 18-flywheel on V8s. I don't think they made any 11-inchers till 35 or so.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
jetmek

might be wrong but im pretty sure the 9" pressure plate only fits the dished flywheel from about 35-40 the model a-b and 18 flywheels were totally differnt animal. i think you have a 10" wheel 46-48 vintage or an 8ba wheel which is easy to spot by the thinner ring gear
Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
jetmek

oops i blew up your pic and see you do have a dished wheel...guess dick is right as usual..
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmek View Post
might be wrong but im pretty sure the 9" pressure plate only fits the dished flywheel from about 35-40 the model a-b and 18 flywheels were totally differnt animal. i think you have a 10" wheel 46-48 vintage or an 8ba wheel which is easy to spot by the thinner ring gear
I have the '35-'40 style flywheel with the small rim. '32-'34 flywheel has a large rim and the pressure plate sits on top the rim instead of on the disk surface like the '35-40'. Measurements given to me by Dick Spadaro confirm my '35-40' flywheel takes the 9" clutch.

Edit: jetmek, our post crossed!

Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

The 49-50 8BA engine had a 9-1/2 PP. The bolt patten is just a little bit off from the 9in. Also takes a differant thro out bearing. It's hard to tell to two apart if you don't look close. if you have the 9in. and the 9-1/2in PP side by side you can see the finger are a little differrant length and the bolt patten is off a little . Walt.
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
DICK SPADARO

This is a followup to Bob Scogins clutch issue. I have a pressure plate similar to the one in question marked do not sell. This unit reverted back a year or so ago when there were issues with the throw out fork length on 40-48 pressure plates and it appears to be an off shore pressure plate. I am not sure if it was brought in by a customer or was a trial product ordered to check fit. In any case if you are purchasing a 9" pressure plate for a pre 49 engine application have the vendor check the span length between the opposing mounting bolts, the measurement should be 7 1/4" if the measurement is less there will be a fit issue with the part.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
bobscogin

Dick, just for the record, my "wouldn't fit" pressure plate measured 7 1/8" instead of your referenced dimension of 7 1/4". The distance between pairs of holes on each leg was OK.

Bob
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Walt Dupont--Me.

I ought to work for this co. but I don't. Today I just got my latiest Fort Wayne 9in. clutch and PP kit back from the balancer, it was very close. I've bought alot of kits from them in last few years and all were perfect. As far as I can see every other part place clutch set up's come from across the puddle. I may be wrong. There may be some other place in the USA that does this work but I'll stick with Fort Wayne Clutch. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
52merc

49/50mercs had a different bolt pattern if you put them on a for flywheel the hole dont alighn
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
bobscogin

Thought I'd post an update on my clutch problem thread. Today I received the pressure plate from Mac's. Nothing identifying the country of origin, but I'd think it's Asian. It looks well made, and fits the flywheel bolt pattern. I won't be able to test it's performance for now because it's going in a build which won't be drive-able for a few months. To Speedway Motor's credit, they told me to send theirs back for inspection and they sent me a gift card for 100% of the purchase price even after I'd had it well over 2 years.

Bob
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Henry/Kokomo

Always nice to hear about a vendor who does the right thing. Seems like we hear a lot about foul ups. Nice to balance the ledger a bit. Glad the new PP fit properly.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
Always nice to hear about a vendor who does the right thing. Seems like we hear a lot about foul ups. Nice to balance the ledger a bit. Glad the new PP fit properly.
I've done a lot of business with Speedway and the clutch problem was the first time I've ever had to return anything. As I expected, they told me outright that after 2+ years they couldn't give me a cash credit even with me having the invoice, but the offer of a gift card was fine with me as I still need a lot of parts. I'm still a satisfied customer!

Bob
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
GearRat

I had ordered the 10" long style Ford pp for my Packard from speedway a while back, and had the same problem. It was one of their discounted garage sale items, and I found it was off by just a little bit. I think the housing was a little bent so, I widened a few of the holes to accommodate the difference and it works fine. Maybe that was the case for the plate you got, either way glad you got it sorted out.
GearRat is offline   Reply With Quote